ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Son busted a car window near the school playground.

Cops came (old hag driving it just had to immediately scream about calling the cops and scare the **** out of an eight year old) and noted in the report that person was not in a spot and was parked very close to the playground in their report, but did not write a ticket.

So, yes that is a parking lot, but nowhere near any designated and lined spots.

Could always counter-sue for the pain and suffering inflicted by the old lady in verbally abusing your 8-year old son. :>)

1. Pay for an average quote.
2. Go to the Board of Ed meeting and town hall meeting and petition to post signs and enforce. Claim safety.
3. No luck ...work with a newspaper or TV station to cover what happened.

The amount of crap written here is remarkable, very disappointing. Blaming a woman and calling her names because your son broke her car window? Really? Do the honorable thing and offer to pay. The amount of her deductible or her parking spot is irrelevant. Be civilized, not a douche.
I feel my suggestion was civilized, fair and balanced, thank you very much.

How is paying half taking responsibility? That's taking half responsibility and screwing the lady. Man the hell up and be a good example to your kid. Teaching him to do the right thing vs. screwing over old ladies is worth more than a few hundred bucks.

People that don't pay attention to the lessons they teach their kids often wonder why their kids grow up to be dicks.

Reactions: KaKaKen
How is paying half taking responsibility? That's taking half responsibility and screwing the lady. Man the hell up and be a good example to your kid. Teaching him to do the right thing vs. screwing over old ladies is worth more than a few hundred bucks.

People that don't pay attention to the lessons they teach their kids often wonder why their kids grow up to be dicks.
Who said she's old? I don't think he would "screwing over" a woman who drives a $55,000 SUV

Who said she's old? I don't think he would "screwing over" a woman who drives a $55,000 SUV
That's some Bernie Sanders type logic right there. If I owe you money but you drive a nice car I only have to pay fifty cents on the dollar. If you drive a shitty car do you pay the full amount? What do you propose the car value threshold to be?

Reactions: RutgHoops
I have young son (6), if he threw the rock and damaged a car, I would pay for the car. Importantly, there would be consequences for his actions miss wrestling/baseball for a week, no dessert, etc. He's your soni he threw the rock, pay for the car. Irrespective of where the car was parked, the kid shouldn't have been throwing rocks. I
Kids will be kids. BUT it is incumbent upon you to impress upon him that rock throwing around other kids is dangerous.That rock could have hit a fellow student instead of a car window.That being said I would like to hear from anyone that they didn't do a whole bunch of crap when they were 8.

Reactions: rutino
Kids will be kids. .....That being said I would like to hear from anyone that they didn't do a whole bunch of crap when they were 8.
Only if you can definitively prove that the statute of limitations has completely expired where I lived at the time.

Reactions: beaced
My guess is that this is not the first instance by either your son or another child about throwing rocks there. This is just the first time it resulted in breaking something. I also do not think the school should be expected to pay anything as this is the kind of things that start to limit activities.
Your son threw the rock, you are the responsible adult here and should pay for all of the damage. Why should the victim have to pay for this?
I also agree that you should get an estimate from a reputable company which will probably be cheaper and then offer that to the owner.

Disclaimer, this is not particularly my area of expertise (although, I doubt that it's anyone's area of expertise), I stopped reading after about 10 posts and, most importantly, I'm not admitted in New Jersey. That said, if this situation had occurred in New York, my advice would be as follows:
  • Think of this situation from the perspective of practical resolution (repairing the glass) not theoretical liability (parental responsibility for the misfeasance of minor children).
  • Related, let the owner lead the charge in repairing the vehicle. Your car, your headache. This isn't a situation that should weigh heavy on your mind.
  • Regardless of actual fault, nobody should even consider paying a dime until the car owner produces verifiable proof that the Mercedes somehow doesn't have full glass coverage. Virtually all full collision policies in New York have full coverage for glass without a deductible (I would assume it's similar in New Jersey). The cost for glass is simply built into policies without regard to fault given the frequency of occurrence and the difficulty of proving fault. Related, I've never heard of a glass claim triggering an insurance increase. So, if owner is insured, problem solved. That's why you get insurance coverage in the first place. Accidents happen.
  • If by some amazing chance, the owner is uninsured or under-insured, the owner (not you) should look to the school (and/or the after-school operator) for indemnification. Your eight-year old child accidentally damaged a vehicle on school property while under school supervision. Why was your kid allowed to throw rocks on the playground in the first place? Not only is the school most likely ultimately responsible for the damages, it has the deepest pockets and is most likely to voluntarily pay.
  • In the event the owner is foolishly under-insured or the school refuses to accept responsibility for the damages and you feel like bailing-out both of them (being kind to the foolish and irresponsible), simply cut a check to the owner in the amount that you deem appropriate. If the owner is satisfied, great. If not, he/she can have fun navigating the courts to go after you for a couple hundred bucks, which would be an amazing waste of time and effort for anyone who could afford to drive the vehicle in question--simply won't happen. So, In the end, here, the owner gets nothing more than what you're willing pay.

Perfect. And if I ever need a lawyer in NY you're my guy. Do you do criminal work? Just askin...

Always wondered what people in warmer climates threw, lol - was always snowballs for us - I think the chase was more challenging, since the driver could track you in the snow. When we were 12, my best friend, who was simply fearless, didn't just toss a snowball at a car and run, like the rest of us - no, he stood there and fired 5 or 6 snowballs to show the driver who was boss - well, the driver turned out to be a young athletic guy who jumped out, chased, and caught my friend (who was pretty speedy), dragged him back into his car and drove him back to my friend's house and dropped him off with his mom, along with an explanation of what he had done. My friend's mom, who was moderately sadistic, thanked the man and proceeded to beat my friend silly with a metal hairbrush (was nowhere near the first time). Pretty sure if this happened today, it might mean jail time for the driver and the child being taken away from the mother, but 41 years ago, nobody gave it a 2nd thought. If only we had the internet back then to debate the merits of the behaviors involved.
Our crew never ran. We learned pretty early there was safety in numbers, and when 5 or 6 12 year olds stood there fearlessly, it intimidated the hell out of the driver. Of course our snowball throwing usually ended when one of the drivers brought his car to a stop, saw us standing there, sped up & called the cops on us when he got home. Then we ran!

Last edited:
Our crew never ran. We learned pretty early there was safety in numbers, and when 5 or 6 12 year olds stood there fearlessly, it intimidated the hell out of the driver. Of course our snowball throwing usually ended when one of the drivers brought his car to a stop, saw us standing there, sped up & called the cops on us. Then we ran!
Did the same as a kid. Fun.

Tossing oranges in Florida was infinitely more dangerous than tossing snowballs in New Jersey.

First of all, 5 out of every 4 people in Florida drive large pickup trucks and will, upon being struck, wheel off the highway and chase you through the groves.

If they catch you, you then have to deal with the fact that 137% of all drivers in Florida have a gun in the vehicle and want nothing more than an opportunity to use it.

Is this "Tossing Oranges"?

Grifters_OrangesWEB.jpg

Yeah, seriously, Crumb needs to teach his kid to run.

As for those lecturing & chastising someone that their 8 year old kid shouldn't be throwing rocks, do you live under a rock or don't recall your childhood or never had kids? Kids do stupid stuff that they're told not to do because, well, they're kids. We all did. It's part of growing up. /rant

We all threw rocks but knew damn well if we broke something, you damn well not get caught. If you did, you had to deal with the consequences

We all threw rocks but knew damn well if we broke something, you damn well not get caught. If you did, you had to deal with the consequences

I threw rocks in the woods and it was usually "hit that tree", that branch intersection, etc. I stopped when I tossed one at a bird pretty far off in a tree and I hit it. Felt like a real idiot.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT