ADVERTISEMENT

OT: St. Augustine

fg7321

All Conference
Nov 29, 2009
Folks looking for ideas and things to do for those who have been to SA.

I live in Saint Johns. Saint Augustine is a great town. I think they still have the lights up. Should by great to see at night. Some great restaurants and an old fort on the water. Flagler college, if it’s open, is a great visit. You can go in the entrance. It’s pretty cool. Also the fountain of youth is in Saint Augustine. It’s ok. You can visit the beach during the day if it’s sunny out. It’s a decent beach.

I usually stay at St Augustine Beach. I like the sunset grill, beachcomber, and osteens for food. Mojo tacos and gringo tacos are some of my personal favorites as well. I love going to the matanzas inlet and fort matanzas. Country provisions food truck for some good BBQ. St Augustine distillery and dog rose brewing are also solid.

Buccees is certainly different. It’s like a super WaWa combined with Cracker Barrel. Not a place for a sit down meal though.

Have been there many times, family live there.
My answer depends on your age interests and if you’re going with kids…but here is a general overview:

St. Augustine is LOADED with history, from the Spanish settlement to the Civil Rights movement and everything in between. The architecture is beautiful, especially if you are on the Flagler college campus and downtown area.

The Fountain of Youth is a total tourist trap, would not recommend. The spring is a sulfur spring and the water smells and tastes like rotten eggs. Plus, historically, there is little merit to the place.

The Alligator farm can be a fun thing to do once, but it might not be everyone’s cup of tea.

The downtown area is beautiful to walk around and people watch. The old historic Fort is really really cool. If you like museums check out the Lightner museum. Avoid the pirate museum at all costs.

The lighthouse is beautiful and the view from the top is well worth the climb. If you are into spooky things, check out the Dark Side of the Lighthouse Tour— which is an after hours ghost tour. I am skeptical when it comes to ghosts, but had an incredibly creepy experience there.

World Golf Village was old and seemed on the brink of closure when I last went there. Did not go into the HOF.

St. Augustine beach is a beautiful and relaxing beach if you are into that sort of thing.

I could go on and on and on— let me know what specifically you’re looking for and I can point you in the right direction.

Folks looking for ideas and things to do for those who have been to SA.
Lived in the area for 30 years. Who you going with? Ages? How long? Lots of recco’s if you can share a little info.

The St. Photios Greek Orthodox Shrine and Museum might be worth a look .
It has exhibits that show the history of the Greek Orthodox religion in St. Augustine and you can learn about the first Greek immigrants that came to Florida .
St. Photios has some interesting religious murals to view while there.

My answer depends on your age interests and if you’re going with kids…but here is a general overview:

St. Augustine is LOADED with history, from the Spanish settlement to the Civil Rights movement and everything in between. The architecture is beautiful, especially if you are on the Flagler college campus and downtown area.

The Fountain of Youth is a total tourist trap, would not recommend. The spring is a sulfur spring and the water smells and tastes like rotten eggs. Plus, historically, there is little merit to the place.

The Alligator farm can be a fun thing to do once, but it might not be everyone’s cup of tea.

The downtown area is beautiful to walk around and people watch. The old historic Fort is really really cool. If you like museums check out the Lightner museum. Avoid the pirate museum at all costs.

The lighthouse is beautiful and the view from the top is well worth the climb. If you are into spooky things, check out the Dark Side of the Lighthouse Tour— which is an after hours ghost tour. I am skeptical when it comes to ghosts, but had an incredibly creepy experience there.

World Golf Village was old and seemed on the brink of closure when I last went there. Did not go into the HOF.

St. Augustine beach is a beautiful and relaxing beach if you are into that sort of thing.

I could go on and on and on— let me know what specifically you’re looking for and I can point you in the right direction.
Don’t disagree with anything here.

HOF moved and world golf village is a ghost town.

I tend to believe all good restaurants are not in historic district. However there are a few - choose wisely. Wife and I had cocktails and appt’s at River and fort. Very good with best views of city.

It will be warm in a few weeks. If you like fishing you could go deep sea or fishing with a charter in the infra coastal.

Lights down pretty soon but the view of the city from the harbor at night is spectacular.

If you like racing, hit up Daytona. Museum is cool.

If you’re with anyone that has watched a cartoon in the last decade, the alligator farm is a must.

They also have a ghost tour in town. Pretty eery when they take you by the side of the fort and show you the bullet holes from past executions.

Feel free to reach out for more.

Don’t disagree with anything here.

HOF moved and world golf village is a ghost town.

I tend to believe all good restaurants are not in historic district. However there are a few - choose wisely. Wife and I had cocktails and appt’s at River and fort. Very good with best views of city.

It will be warm in a few weeks. If you like fishing you could go deep sea or fishing with a charter in the infra coastal.

Lights down pretty soon but the view of the city from the harbor at night is spectacular.

If you like racing, hit up Daytona. Museum is cool.

If you’re with anyone that has watched a cartoon in the last decade, the alligator farm is a must.

They also have a ghost tour in town. Pretty eery when they take you by the side of the fort and show you the bullet holes from past executions.

Feel free to reach out for more.

My wife and I are going to St. Augustine Feb 1-4, been there once for a weekend, looking for restaurant recommendations. Stopping in Savannah on the way, any restaurant recommendations there appreciated as well.

Thanks

My wife and I are going to St. Augustine Feb 1-4, been there once for a weekend, looking for restaurant recommendations. Stopping in Savannah on the way, any restaurant recommendations there appreciated as well.

Thanks
The Olde Pink House. Great Low Country food Nice outdoors bar if you
want something less than a multi course meal. Stayed at Foley house B & B. Very nice, great location and good discount currently.

Reactions: charliem24
Some cool spots in St. Augustine:

1. Prohibition Kitchen-- it is a downtown bar/restaurant with fun vibes and live music.
2. Forgotten Tonic- Downtown restaurant with great food.
3. The Press - This is not downtown-- A restaurant that has a little bit of everything with great burgers.
4. Blackfly- Great restaurant on Anastasia Island.

If you are in the mood for seafood especially Lobster Rolls, check out DJ's Clam Shack downtown. It was featured on Diners, Drive-in's and Dives. Plus, the kid who works the counter is a Rutgers fan and rumor has it, if you walk in and start the RRRRR chant, he will hook you up. (It is counter service/quickserve)

I think the Christmas lights come down Feb 8th, or around there. They are beautiful.

Also-- Probably 10 years ago now, I "hid" a Block R magnet int he parking deck downtown. It is on the lower level on one of the pipes above a concrete beam. See if you can spot it.

Last edited:
As I mentioned before, I consider myself skeptical of supernatural/ghosts. However, twice in St. Augustine I have had experiences that have made me second guess that.

While on the Darkside of the Lighthouse Tour, I was in the basement of the lighthouse keeper's house. I forget the story associated with the basement, but it was super super creepy. As I was talking to my wife, the door handle started jiggling furiously, like someone was frantically trying to get inside. It was so realistic, I thought someone was actually trying to get in. Within a 2 seconds of hearing the commotion, I opened the door and there was absolutely no one nearby. The door led out to stairs, of which I ran up. No one was anywhere nearby.

The second creepy experience I caught on my camera. As we were walking downtown near the oldest well in St. Augustine (which is a more remote part of town), I stopped to snap a picture of it. It was after midnight and no one was around. It felt super creepy. The moment after I snapped the picture, I reviewed it to see how it came out and noticed something standing behind the fence. I'll let you be the judge-- but like I said. No one was around.
Ghost-St-Augustine.jpg

Reactions: Knight Shift

Thanks
Caps as mentioned, Collage in historic district. Like I said above, never ate there but appetizers at River and fort were very good and view is spectacular

Reactions: charliem24
we spent Christmas in St Augustine during covid when everyone was hiding in their homes, its a beautiful place and we didn't have one bad meal, every place we went was better than the last. We stayed in St Augustine beach, which was close enough. I'd recommend driving up and down the coast, Ponte Vedra real estate is incredible and driving south towards Daytona is more rustic and natural. Wasn't a fan of Daytona, felt like a big Seaside Park to me.

Since there is no shortage of good places to eat in SA, I'm just going to recommend 1 place that we loved but more casual than the other places we ate. Possibly some of the best tacos/burritos we have ever had.

As to Savannah, we were just there in the fall, probably don't need more than a couple days, I would recommend stopping at the Owens Thomas House and Slave Quarters, great tour and fascinating story. As for eating, as mentioned the Olde Pink house was very cool and good old fashioned southern food

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
If you are in the mood for seafood especially Lobster Rolls, check out DJ's Clam Shack downtown. It was featured on Diners, Drive-in's and Dives. Plus, the kid who works the counter is a Rutgers fan and rumor has it, if you walk in and start the RRRRR chant, he will hook you up. (It is counter service/quickserve)

Tip of the cap to @R1766U for the DJ's Clam Shack reference. We are spending a few weeks at Cinnamon Beach and visited St. Augustine yesterday. The RU chant worked - had a good laugh/convo with the guy behind the counter and received a nice discount on two lobster rolls (which were very good)! Bonus - there was a guy behind us wearing a Michigan sweatshirt and the counter guy said he was going to charge him double!

Also ate at Columbia restaurant - we liked it a lot.

Moved to St. Augustine in April of 2022 and absolutely love it here - about 5 min from the Bucees. Great people and some solid RU/NJ representation. I'm sorry I missed this thread! Every restaurant recommendation in here was spot on. I'd also add Valley Smoke and Barbara Jean's to the list for future visitors. Ate at St. Augustine Fish Camp a couple weeks ago - very good meal/drinks on the San Sebastian River.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT