ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Streaming movies

ejgonz

All Conference
Gold Member
Feb 2, 2003
Anyone have a relatively safe/legit way to stream movies?

kodi16.0-jarvis-alpha-600x336.png

Thank you to those who answered my question.

For the others, I couldn't quite hear you from your high horse.

If you enjoy watching movies on TV, grab a chromecast too. We stream netflix from phone to TV all the time and it works great!

...or Apple TV. More expensive, but more options than a Chromecast. Both are good to have.

-Scarlet Jerry

I like Roku the best for hardware. And Amazon Is the best of the legit paid sources I've used ... Free movies/shows with Prime + on demand rentals of new releases.

High horse? You do realize illegally streaming movies is against the law? Is stealing? Is no different than taking a DVD from the sheet of walmart.
Curious if you connected the dots.

This isn't necessarily true..lots of people agree so long as u don't illegally download it, streaming is OK. Gray area.

High horse? You do realize illegally streaming movies is against the law? Is stealing? Is no different than taking a DVD from the sheet of walmart.

Actually it is - a reason downloaders aren't prosecuted for theft in criminal court. Selling copyrighted material can be punished criminally. Just downloading isn't usually a problem. Uploading is the real problem/violation. But since torrents etc upload as well as download a person can be sued in civil court for copyright violation. Nobody downloading is charged with anything like shoplifting etc. Taking a physical DVD "deprives" someone of use/ownership. Taking a digital copy off the internet doesn't do that.

Anyone have a relatively safe/legit way to stream movies?

I still don't totally understand what the OP wants. Relatively safe implies obtaining by questionable means. Legit implies obtaining by legal means. You can't have it both ways. But since the OP later wrote about people on high horses it appears that he is looking for questionable means.

0day Usenet. The only way to roll.

Nice! Very old school. It's more than just relatively safe. But technically not streaming, it's downloading. Unless there's a new newsreader that can perform streaming on the fly but I haven't heard of it.
Personally I prefer Bittorrent with a little VPN thrown it. Relatively safe and you have the option to just download or stream on the fly.

As for the high horse people, it's funny in that in my mind I sort of agree with you but in practice I would have a hard time justifying paying for most of the crap Hollywood puts out. It is truly rare that I come away from a movie that I obtain by questionable means that I feel like it would have been a fair transaction if I had paid to see it.

Actually it is - a reason downloaders aren't prosecuted for theft in criminal court. Selling copyrighted material can be punished criminally. Just downloading isn't usually a problem. Uploading is the real problem/violation. But since torrents etc upload as well as download a person can be sued in civil court for copyright violation. Nobody downloading is charged with anything like shoplifting etc. Taking a physical DVD "deprives" someone of use/ownership. Taking a digital copy off the internet doesn't do that.
This is ridiculous. Artists, musicians, actors, and production companies create content so they can sell it and earn a living. If you want to justify that streaming it is somehow ok, then you go with that. I'll choose to pay for it so people are incented to keep on creating.

Reactions: RUinBoston
This is ridiculous. Artists, musicians, actors, and production companies create content so they can sell it and earn a living. If you want to justify that streaming it is somehow ok, then you go with that. I'll choose to pay for it so people are incented to keep on creating.
you need to learn the biz, it's different for all 4 you mentioned.. as a musician, the production company screws us over.. only way we make money is through tickets sales(ie long distance touring which they'll be more than happy to cover for a slice of the pie if we can't afford it) and merchandise sales(goes all to us).. so instead of spouting off bullsht.. realize that bands/musicians don't make as much as you think from the labels(production companies) or digital downloads(which we can manage ourselves)... a lot of bands or "recording artists" are moving away from production companies for this reason... it's easier to do everything with pro-tools or other software of that nature.. fck production companies and the amount they steal.. just to note, do actors really need to be paid 40m a movie for 5 weeks of filming some crappy hollywood shit?

learn the different biz'

you need to learn the biz, it's different for all 4 you mentioned.. as a musician, the production company screws us over.. only way we make money is through tickets sales(ie long distance touring which they'll be more than happy to cover for a slice of the pie if we can't afford it) and merchandise sales(goes all to us).. so instead of spouting off bullsht.. realize that bands/musicians don't make as much as you think from the labels(production companies) or digital downloads(which we can manage ourselves)... a lot of bands or "recording artists" are moving away from production companies for this reason... it's easier to do everything with pro-tools or other software of that nature.. fck production companies and the amount they steal.. just to note, do actors really need to be paid 40m a movie for 5 weeks of filming some crappy hollywood shit?

learn the different biz'
Ok - I get it then - people stealing the content will make all this this better.

Reactions: RUinBoston

Sure - musicians, artists etc should get paid etc. I didn't say they shouldn't. I just said that according to the law downloaders don't get charged criminally with stealing. They get sued in civil court.

No doubt you've read about the grannies and moms that get sued because their kids etc downloaded stuff the elders didn't know about. Now if the situation called for criminal charges you would need evidence of just who did what beyond a reasonable doubt. Computer files and ISP records would need to be analyzed, timelines established to confirm who did what and when. In civil court you don't need all that. You don't need to be guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. All you need is to be "probably guilty". That's why with an IP address of a download computer you can sue the person who is attached to the IP without having to prove much beyond the basic records.

So people are getting banned over the Orlando shooting, yet the owners of this board have absolutely no problem with people discussing the best way to commit crimes?

Unreal

Reactions: MikeR0102
Pay for your entertainment content and the options are limitless.

Do tell.

I have several subscription and pay per rental services are there are no GOOD movies to rent. I really expected that by now that we would have unlimit d access to pretty much any movie ever made for a few bucks a rental.

There is barely anything worth watching or renting on:

iTunes
Prime
Netflix
Cable provider
Showtime

Do tell.

I have several subscription and pay per rental services are there are no GOOD movies to rent. I really expected that by now that we would have unlimit d access to pretty much any movie ever made for a few bucks a rental.

There is barely anything worth watching or renting on:

iTunes
Prime
Netflix
Cable provider
Showtime

Remember that old internet provider commercial that predicted that? They really let us down.

AppleTV. You can look up any movie on iTunes and rent it for like 5 bucks or less.

I feel like it was a lot easier to access movies LEGALLY when the Blockbusters were around and before this streaming business. Wanted to rent When We Were KIngs after Ali died and couldn't find it anywhere. And to the KODI people who have somehow justified to themselves that it is ok and that the current system has made every movie and Tv show available to you virtually for free - Shame on You!

I feel like it was a lot easier to access movies LEGALLY when the Blockbusters were around and before this streaming business. Wanted to rent When We Were KIngs after Ali died and couldn't find it anywhere. And to the KODI people who have somehow justified to themselves that it is ok and that the current system has made every movie and Tv show available to you virtually for free - Shame on You!
As far as legal streaming you might want to try this website - http://www.canistream.it
I believe they have an app as well. There is another website that gives basically the same information but I can't remember what it is at the moment. It will tell you where you can purchase or rent any film.
As for Kodi, please don't demonize it. When you come right down to it it is nothing more than a very feature-filled and pretty media player. The stock program will allow you to play any video file just as Microsoft's Media Player does. Where the illegality comes in are with third-party plug-ins that provide the extra streaming access. Other Kodi plug-ins allow you to turn your computer into an over-the-air TV and/or DVR and lots of other legal features. The ability to watch so-called illegal streaming can be done just as easily using any web browser provided you know the correct Internet URL address. The Kodi plug-ins just make it slightly easier to do and with additional options/features available.

Reactions: RUinOhio
This isn't necessarily true..lots of people agree so long as u don't illegally download it, streaming is OK. Gray area.

I think you are confused. No legal expert says it is legal to stream a pirated movie but illegal to download it. Both are very clearly illegal. The gray area is whether sites like Kodi break the law. Because Kodi doesn't actually download and distribute the movie, they just direct you to another site that is actually illegally distributing the movie, Kodi probably has no legal liability. But the site that is actually hosting and distributing the movie is clearly breaking the law, and the person who receives the illegally distributed movie (whether via download or stream) is clearly breaking the law.

The other legal streaming index website I was thinking about is actually run by the MPAA.
https://www.wheretowatch.com

As for When We Were Kings, there seems to be no legal way you can watch it at this time. A quick check of a torrent site and Usenet (two ways of downloading a movie by questionable means) show that it is available. In fact the French and English version can be found on Usenet.

Reactions: mikefla
I think you are confused. No legal expert says it is legal to stream a pirated movie but illegal to download it. Both are very clearly illegal. The gray area is whether sites like Kodi break the law. Because Kodi doesn't actually download and distribute the movie, they just direct you to another site that is actually illegally distributing the movie, Kodi probably has no legal liability. But the site that is actually hosting and distributing the movie is clearly breaking the law, and the person who receives the illegally distributed movie (whether via download or stream) is clearly breaking the law.

I'm no law expert, so might be wrong. But here's an article from 2015 that says streaming movies is generally not illegal in US. Not sure if new laws were passed since.

Only illegal if

1. U download it. Or 2. You stream it for a large amount of people.

http://bciptf.org/?p=1654

Last edited:
The other legal streaming index website I was thinking about is actually run by the MPAA.
https://www.wheretowatch.com

As for When We Were Kings, there seems to be no legal way you can watch it at this time. A quick check of a torrent site and Usenet (two ways of downloading a movie by questionable means) show that it is available. In fact the French and English version can be found on Usenet.

Thank you for the websites and the search. In truth I don't know a lot about KODI, but I have heard several friends of mine talk about it and I think the application of using it to get free stuff is ridiculous and flat out criminal. Whether KODI alone is legal or not that seems to be a gray area from what I've read.

Do tell.

Don't you? What isn't available on Amazon Video for a few bucks a movie? Not the limited selection included in Prime, but the expanded library where you can stream movies for $4-5?

I'm no law expert, so might be wrong. But here's an article from 2015 that says streaming movies is generally not illegal in US. Not sure if new laws were passed since.

Only illegal if

1. U download it. Or 2. You stream it for a large amount of people.

http://bciptf.org/?p=1654

The article you linked notes that downloading a pirated movie is a felony and streaming it is a misdemeanor, referencing a push by the Department of Justice to increase the penalty for streaming. Both are illegal.

That said, the article also contradicts itself in many places, quoting different news articles to imply that streaming is both legal and illegal at the same time. Neither the article you posted, nor any of the articles it references, gets into a legal discussion of the issue.

But based on the information presented in your article from the DOJ, I'll rephrase my original claim: "The US Department of Justice believes that both downloading and streaming pirated material are illegal, although downloading carries a higher penalty because you retain a copy of the pirated material."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT