ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sunday Morning MLB Trivia - Olympics Edition

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
Since baseball became an official Olympic sport in 1992 there have been 5 major leaguers who have won an Olympic gold medal and a World Series. Three of them played for Cuba (Jose Contreras, Orlando Hernandez , Yuli Gurriel) and two for team USA.
Name the only two American baseball players to have won a baseball Olympic gold medal and a World Series championship.
I saw in a lone source that said there were three but I couldn't find a third unless they are counting Tommy Lasorda.

This is a hard question so I'll give several hints.

Hints: Both had long MLB careers one for 12 years and the other 17 years.
One of the two actually won two World Series.
Neither one of them was ever an All Star.
They are both position players, not pitchers
One of them played for both the Yankees and the Mets for one year each.
The other played his entire 17 year career (except for the 37 games) in the AL.

One of my all time favorite Yankees is one of them. Replaced a legend.

One of my all time favorite Yankees is one of them. Replaced a legend.

If you're talking about Tino he also won a gold medal and a WS. But that was in 1988 and baseball was just a demonstration sport so it wasn't an official gold medal.
Part of a bigger answer. There was another guy on that team in 88 with Tino who went on to win a WS.
Can't see anyone getting this without looking it up.

Hint: He was a team mate of the guy we're still looking for in the first question when they both won the WS.
He was also a Jr. His dad was a MLB pitcher in the 60s and 70s.

So to review the two questions which are now combined.
We're looking for two guys who in MLB won the WS. One was a gold medal winner in 1988 as a demonstration sport while the other was an official gold medal winner in 2000.
Both are position players and the 88 guy is a Jr. who had a dad who pitched in MLB in the 60s and 70s. Very tough.

Last edited:
Answer time.

The 2000 gold medal winner and 1992 WS MVP - Pat Borders

The impossible guy from 1988 was also Borders team mate on the Blue Jays: Ed Sprague, Jr.

Reactions: WhiteBus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT