ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Super Bowl LVIII / Game Thread

Yes and Lamar had 24 TDs and 7 INTs passing - pretty average.
He was ranked 15th for NFL QB by ESPN (Mahomes was 8th)
I know Jackson also rushed for 850 and 5 TDs but in 2027 Daniel Jones rushed for 708 and 7TDs.
Plus if someone has seen a lot of playoff football the run heavy QBs rarely win titles.
Playoff defenses and DCs are too good to lose to a scrambler.

Dallas had a DB with 9 INTs and 5 TDs - epic
McCaffrey had 2000+ total yds and 21 TDs - got SF into the SB and scored.
All things being equal the QBs gets MVP the most but Lamar wasn't greater than Mahomes.
I never heard so much about a MVP the last month of season - felt like a fix was in

He was the best player on the best team, hands down. Purdy was good, he had another mvp candidate on his team. Lamar did it with a third string rb, a rookie #1 receiver and missing his hall of fame tight end.

Not sure what stat you’re linking. Lamar was #4 qbr, Mahomes #8. Mahomes was 11-6, Lamar 13-4. That wins out with similar stats every time.

In regular season, the Chiefs would still have had a chance to come back because the 49ers score was a field goal, not a touchdown.

Oh yes. I meant the clock.
Chiefs would have had to end their drive by end of the 10min OT period.
They wouldn't have gotten extra time after the end of 1st OT.

He was the best player on the best team, hands down. Purdy was good, he had another mvp candidate on his team. Lamar did it with a third string rb, a rookie #1 receiver and missing his hall of fame tight end.

Not sure what stat you’re linking. Lamar was #4 qbr, Mahomes #8. Mahomes was 11-6, Lamar 13-4. That wins out with similar stats every time.

Mahomes got helmet hit hard in the face twice and acted like nothing happened.
Lamar had some bad plays and threw his helmet and sulked all 4th Q.
He's a good scrambler but just not a Mahomes type.
Even Dak had better passing stats than Lamar
Don't forget Gus Edwards had 13 TDs for Ravens - they had a very good OL

5uwaWxH.jpeg

Mahomes got helmet hit hard in the face twice and acted like nothing happened.
Lamar had some bad plays and threw his helmet and sulked all 4th Q.
He's a good scrambler but just not a Mahomes type.
Even Dak had better passing stats than Lamar
Don't forget Gus Edwards had 13 TDs for Ravens - they had a very good OL

5uwaWxH.jpeg

49 out of 50 first place votes and you’re holding onto some type of NFL conspiracy to get him the mvp based on passing yards and helmet hits? He’s not a Mahomes type but he was this years mvp without a doubt. Not everything is a conspiracy.

Oh yes. I meant the clock.
Chiefs would have had to end their drive by end of the 10min OT period.
They wouldn't have gotten extra time after the end of 1st OT.
BTW, do you remember when Randall Cunningham (I think it was) forgot that there is no second overtime in a regular season game? The Eagles have had some real geniuses over the years!

BTW, I was very happy that a referee's call (say a penalty call or a dispute about whether a call on the field should be reversed) was not decisive. This crew seemed to decide "let them play" when at all possible.

I was also glad to see the calls on the field stand. The SB is already long enough; no need to extend things even further with frequent official reviews.

Game changed when Greenlaw got hurt. Debo dealing with injury made it harder for SF…and the KC D was always in Purdy’s face.

Don’t know how much of that is b/c of poor play calling by the SF OC vs bad line play (or both). Conversely the DL from SF was neutralized and that was shocking with Bosa and Young.

Reactions: thegock
Game changed when Greenlaw got hurt. Debo dealing with injury made it harder for SF…and the KC D was always in Purdy’s face.

Don’t know how much of that is b/c of poor play calling by the SF OC vs bad line play (or both). Conversely the DL from SF was neutralized and that was shocking with Bosa and Young.
What I find so striking is that the injuries to Greenlaw and Samuel apparently did not come from hard hits -- Greenlaw was coming off the bench and as far as I could see Samuel was just shoved. I wonder if their bodies had just worn out from the long season (even though the 49ers got a bye in the first round of the playoffs.)

The SF defensive line seemed to succeed in keeping Mahomes inside, but that's all. He is so good at moving in the pocket.

Kittles was held two passes for four yards; that hurt the Niners. You're certanly right about Samuel, who was targeted eleven times (according to the stat sheet on Yahoo sports) but caught only three, and had eight yards rushing in three attempts.

49ers players admit not knowing overtime rules after Super Bowl loss to Chiefs, thought first TD wins game

If they really thought that, they should have gone for it on 4th down on their overtime possession rather than settle for a field goal. It's the job of the coaching staff to make sure they know the rules, isn't it?

Does it really matter if the players know the OT rules ? They are expected to give 100% on every play with both O and D plays/coverages given to them.

Not newsworthy.

Choosing the ball first does not prove Shanahan didn't know first possession TD doesn't win. It's very smart to want the ball third if it comes to that, which is when sudden death kicks in.

If they really thought that, they should have gone for it on 4th down on their overtime possession rather than settle for a field goal. It's the job of the coaching staff to make sure they know the rules, isn't it?
No, because if they don't score then they lose on either a FG or a TD. And 4th and 4 is a low % conversion anyway,.

BTW, there was one little thing I liked: there were virtually no broken tackles. This is so unlike the Eagles games I saw all year where the Eagles would try to arm-tackle someone and fail.

Reactions: thegock

49ers players admit not knowing overtime rules after Super Bowl loss to Chiefs, thought first TD wins game

Not an excuse. I didn't know they were changed for the playoffs/Super Bowl. The ref explained them at the coin toss at the start of OT. Then it's either the job of the captain out there for the coin toss or the coaching staff to ensure everyone knows the rules.

Swifties came through.

I don't think Swfities help that much with a Super Bowl - so many people are already tuned-in.
Last Years game was 114.2 with KC v Philly.
San Fran vs KC is much better geography.
KC is very popular in six Midwest states and 49'ers have most of West Coast.
That's a lot more fans compared to last year's geography
I think a Swift effect would be greater for other games

LnCdubH.jpeg

From article:

"Women made up 47.5 percent of the total audience, the highest composition ever; the previous high was 47.1 percent for Super Bowl XLIX between the Patriots and Cardinals in 2015."

How much of an increase is that numbers wise? Doesn't seem like so much compared to predictions.
Buffalo v KC was 50 million and 10% more than prior year.

From article:

"Women made up 47.5 percent of the total audience, the highest composition ever; the previous high was 47.1 percent for Super Bowl XLIX between the Patriots and Cardinals in 2015."

How much of an increase is that numbers wise? Doesn't seem like so much compared to predictions.
Buffalo v KC was 50 million and 10% more than prior year.

Honestly, I don’t get it either way. Both for the people who don’t like TS getting air time and for the fans who are so enthralled to see her.

I don’t watch NFL much anymore but I was a Raider fan. I know Al Davis and Jerry Jones were more notorious for getting some air time because of who they were. I mean all owners get shots but those two more than most. I figured they might get at most a minute of air time in a game so how much air time must TS be getting, why such a big deal if you like her or don’t.

Then the other day, I heard on the Today Show it was like 32 secs on average or for some particular game. It was about what I thought. If I didn’t like her I wouldn’t care about 32 secs as it would be so inconsequential to my enjoyment and if I did like her I wouldn’t spend 3 hours watching something that wasn’t enjoyable to me for 32 secs worth of glimpses of someone I don’t know personally. To each his (or her) own I guess lol.

Honestly, I don’t get it either way. Both for the people who don’t like TS getting air time and for the fans who are so enthralled to see her.

I don’t watch NFL much anymore but I was a Raider fan. I know Al Davis and Jerry Jones were more notorious for getting some air time because of who they were. I mean all owners get shots but those two more than most. I figured they might get at most a minute of air time in a game so how much air time must TS be getting, why such a big deal if you like her or don’t.

Then the other day, I heard on the Today Show it was like 32 secs on average or for some particular game. It was about what I thought. If I didn’t like her I wouldn’t care about 32 secs as it would be so inconsequential to my enjoyment and if I did like her I wouldn’t spend 3 hours watching something that wasn’t enjoyable to me for 32 secs worth of glimpses of someone I don’t know personally. To each his (or her) own I guess lol.

She doesn't bother me - its cutting to Kelce making 1st grade hearts in end zone that's emetic.
Even Swift was getting tired of the focus and shooed cameras away a couple games ago.

She has been more a football fan than anything else. Made songs about HS players and was an Eagles fan in PA. She seemed legit happy to see Hardman (caught winning TD) after the game so I see she's into the games at least

pC3hDOG.jpeg

Reactions: RUTGERS95
She doesn't bother me - its cutting to Kelce making 1st grade hearts in end zone that's emetic.
Even Swift was getting tired of the focus and shooed cameras away a couple games ago.

She has been more a football fan than anything else. Made songs about HS players and was an Eagles fan in PA. She seemed legit happy to see Hardman (caught winning TD) after the game so I see she's into the games at least

pC3hDOG.jpeg
People are making this much too complicated. Girls like jocks; she's a girl; he's a jock. What else is there to say?

People are making this much too complicated. Girls like jocks; she's a girl; he's a jock. What else is there to say?

Her previous relationships were with shoegaze boys.
One played in Brokeback Mountain lol.
She's not really the type for meatheads.
Some people thought Milli Vanilli really sang but I wasn't one of them.
I have good senses for kabuki

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT