ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Syracuse Penalties Revealed at Noon

mikemarc1

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2005
Wonder what the NCAA will punish them with, if anything.

Interested to see the results of the 10-year investigation.
NCAA revealing results at noon and holding a presser at 1.

I've heard that Appalachian State is gonna get bitchslapped for this!

Originally posted by DJ Spanky:
I've heard that Appalachian State is gonna get bitchslapped for this!
Really Spanky? I heard they were punishing smaller fry than App State... The Syracuse football team.

Football and basketball placed on 5 year probation.

Boeheim suspended 9 games

Basketball loses 3 scholarships next 4 seasons.

no additional postseason ban..

This post was edited on 3/6 12:08 PM by mikemarc1

the NCAA chickened out by not giving them a post season ban but the scholarship ban will hurt

I really hope that the pundits like Bilas who blasted RU and TP don't say oh Boeheim is such a great guy, this shouldn't have happened.

the program at Cuse is dirty and has been for awhile

Is there a school in the acc that hasn't been sanctioned by the NCAA?

Between Miami, FSU, UNC, Sarah, BC, NC State, Clemson....their sort of like their big brother, the SEC, only without the winning.

does Boeheim step down after this year?

lot of money that they have to repay...will any be redistributed back to RU

The postseason ban in a season they had no shot at the NCAAs is hilarious.

That ban should hold until the first season they would qualify for the NCAAs.

Originally posted by bac2therac:

the NCAA chickened out by not giving them a post season ban but the scholarship ban will hurt

I really hope that the pundits like Bilas who blasted RU and TP don't say oh Boeheim is such a great guy, this shouldn't have happened.

the program at Cuse is dirty and has been for awhile
They wont be going to the post season anytime soon with these scholarship sanctions. By year 4 of this penalty they will be done. Losing 12 scholarships in a 4 year span for a basketball program is basically the death penalty.

Originally posted by Caliknight:

Is there a school in the acc that hasn't been sanctioned by the NCAA?

Between Miami, FSU, UNC, Sarah, BC, NC State, Clemson....their sort of like their big brother, the SEC, only without the winning.
laugh.r191677.gif

What rules did they break?

This looks like some stiff penalties.

Very BAD news for UNC, methinks. . . . A summary of the Syracuse penalties, per BDevilU, a PackPride poster:

Five years of probation from March 6, 2015 through March 5, 2020.Vacation of all wins in which ineligible men's basketball students played in
2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07, 2010-11 and 2011-12 and ineligible football
students played in 2004-05, 2005-06 and 2006-07. The public decision
contains additional details.Fine of $500 per contest played by ineligible students.The school must return to the NCAA all funds it has received to date
through the former Big East Conference revenue sharing for its
appearances in the 2011, 2012 and 2013 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament.Suspension of the head basketball coach from the first nine conference games of 2015-16.Reduction of men's basketball scholarships by three for the 2015-16, 2016-17,
2017-18 and 2018-19 academic years. If the school has already executed
scholarship offers for the 2015-16 year, the school may begin the
four-year penalty with the 2016-17 year.Reduction in the number of permissible off-campus recruiters from four to two during June 1, 2015 through May 31, 2017.The panel also accepted the school's self-imposed postseason ban for the
2014-15 season, but noted that self-imposition of penalties after the
conclusion of infractions hearings does not influence the outcome.Additional self-imposed penalties can be found in the public decision.
This post was edited on 3/6 10:35 AM by RUinPinehurst

Originally posted by mikemarc1:
Some of their wins will also be vacated.

Huge blow to Boeheim's legacy.
All wins from 04-12, minus one or two seasons. His legacy is one of cheater. He should retire in disgrace.

The funny part is their football program is on probation. To suck they needed to cheat. Now what?

Originally posted by bac2therac:

does Boeheim step down after this year?

lot of money that they have to repay...will any be redistributed back to RU
Hope so. I don't think Cuse will continue their dominance with Hopkins.

The scholarship issue is they lose 12 over 4 years. That's pretty sizable for basketball.

oh, and I almost forgot

ha-ha-nelson.gif

Look at what they had to do to get players to go to that barren wasteland of Syracuse, NY. Going to be a challenge for them to climb back up over the next few years, especially with Boeheim getting long in the tooth.

Maybe they could also be punished by being forced to install the statue of JoePa outside the Carrier Dome.

cuse will surely do what has proven to work for other cheaters when faced with sanctions: cheat more.

Originally posted by restartRU:
cuse will surely do what has proven to work for other cheaters when faced with sanctions: cheat more.
Their chancellor already released a statement disagreeing with the NCAA, saying they plan to appeal.

He also said he supports Boeheim...wtf is wrong with these schools??????

Their chancellor already released a statement disagreeing with the NCAA, saying they plan to appeal.

He also said he supports Boeheim...wtf is wrong with these schools??????
Just following the precedent set by PSU. Kick and scream enough and the NCAA will eventually back off.

Like Pinehurst said this might me a preview for UNC. This line in the report will have UNC worried:

"Improper institutional involvement and influence in a student's academic work in order to gain or maintain eligibility is a violation of NCAA rules and a violation of the most fundamental core values of the NCAA and higher education," the committee wrote. "The behavior in this case, which placed the desire to achieve success on the basketball court over academic integrity, demonstrated clearly misplaced institutional priorities."

He also said he supports Boeheim...w** is wrong with these schools??????
When you are literally faced with the possible extinction of the only sport that will ever keep that school relevant - you fight until they shut off the power.

An extremely expensive private school in the middle of the frozen tundra that is sooooooooo far from anything is in DEEP TROUBLE. I don't blame them for figting until the police put a pad lock on the place.

espn already acting like poor boeheim is throwing himself on a sword--like he's a victim

PSU has proven that if you take your head out of the sand long enough to scream loudly, that icons cannot be shamed [not quite but wins were restored].

I'm still waiting to read an article about the passing of Dean Smith that mentions that their academic fraud scandal started during his career. When ESPN was eulogizing him, i don't recall hearing it from them.

These coaches get way too much credit for being great guys when part of the formula of being a world class coach appears to that you have to be a world class a-hole.

This post was edited on 3/6 1:02 PM by restartRU

Jay Bilas is so off base it is sick

Originally posted by ru66:

espn already acting like poor boeheim is throwing himself on a sword--like he's a victim

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT