ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Taulia Tagovailoa

madchuck

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2016
I always thought he was one of the better QBs in the B1G. He was usually the difference in the games we played about them. He threw for over 3000 yards in the B1G 3 years in a row. Almost 4,000 in 2021. He went undrafted and was signed to the CFL Hamilton Tiger Cats today. Why do you think he couldn't get a camp invite? I know he's small but does that really matter anymore. There are a lot of small QB's nowadays. He led the B1G in passing yards and touchdowns last year with a 66% completion percentage. I mean he's better than Nathan Peterman and Tommy Devito and someone else I've seen.

I always thought he was one of the better QBs in the B1G. He was usually the difference in the games we played about them. He threw for over 3000 yards in the B1G 3 years in a row. Almost 4,000 in 2021. He went undrafted and was signed to the CFL Hamilton Tiger Cats today. Why do you think he couldn't get a camp invite? I know he's small but does that really matter anymore. There are a lot of small QB's nowadays. He led the B1G in passing yards and touchdowns last year with a 66% completion percentage. I mean he's better than Nathan Peterman and Tommy Devito and someone else I've seen.
Tbh he may have been offered more to go play up there. Fits his skill set more. No idea about arm strength but despite the perceptions the best B1G team every year would get their asses handed to them by the worst NFL teams.

And tbh his brother who is bigger is about one more good hit from retirement. Young and Murray are exceptions. I'd be surprised if he wasn't offered some deal but passed

As a Giants fan, I'd rather see Taulia as the developmental QB than Tommy "Cutlets". His height is what held him back being under 6'. 3" between the two but miles apart in talent.

I remember reading box scores when Art was starting and they were abysmal. They were like 2-14 for 13 yards and 3 picks.

I'll give you that the talent level was a lot lower than what Gavin had and the coaching is head and shoulders better now.

But Gavin is better than Art was.
I just found it odd because he threw for 3k yards, 3 years in a row in the B1G playing on a mediocre Maryland team. Some guys don't translate and 5'10 is obviously a detriment but I would say he was one of the better QB's we played. If you're a 5'10 QB, you better have a rocket launcher attached to your arm.

Reactions: RU-05
I just found it odd because he threw for 3k yards, 3 years in a row in the B1G playing on a mediocre Maryland team. Some guys don't translate and 5'10 is obviously a detriment but I would say he was one of the better QB's we played. If you're a 5'10 QB, you better have a rocket launcher attached to your arm.
Yeah he could sling it. won't miss playing him

Reactions: rurichdog
As a Giants fan, I'd rather see Taulia as the developmental QB than Tommy "Cutlets". His height is what held him back being under 6'. 3" between the two but miles apart in talent.
Lack of arm strength is an issue. And outliers are outliers. You need to design the offense just for guys who can't see over their own OL. This kid isn't special enough to do that for. And how's Kyler Murray doing.

They designed an offense for him. Given him HOF receivers and the Cards are stuck w a 50 million dollars anchor

Reactions: PaKnight
I don't agree that he was the only reason Maryland has done well against Rutgers. But he was pretty good. The obvious problems are size and his tendency to lose the ball and abandon ship under pressure, which happened too many times for the NFL scouts. He missed a lot of receivers in his NFL tryouts, apparently...

I agree with the theory that he thought being a stud in the CFL would be more fun/lucrative than being a career backup in the NFL.
Saw a fun stat about Chase Daniel, possibly the “best” backup quarterback out there. Obviously he’s a bit of an anomaly, but he’s started 5 games and thrown 261 passes and made $41 million. That’s $16 million more than Joe Montana made in his career.

• Wow
Reactions: LeapinLou
I used to question the huge emphasis on measurable, but if you look at the league historically or even today, there's very, very few QBs who've had success at 6 or less.

Two of them are hall of famers (maybe wrong on Wilson) and the rest haven't shown much

I agree with the theory that he thought being a stud in the CFL would be more fun/lucrative than being a career backup in the NFL.

The only point I would bring up to debate this would be the amount of injuries to QBs in the NFL and the chances that even 3rd stringers like Devito got last season. Would think that he would give the NFL a shot even as a reserve before heading up north.

Reactions: LeapinLou
The only point I would bring up to debate this would be the amount of injuries to QBs in the NFL and the chances that even 3rd stringers like Devito got last season. Would think that he would give the NFL a shot even as a reserve before heading up north.

Alternatively, he could light up the CFL and generate more interest and a bigger 1st contract.

Alternatively, he could light up the CFL and generate more interest and a bigger 1st contract.

Could happen but have to think that's a pretty long shot. Wasn't the last QB to do that Warren Moon like 40 years ago?

He didn’t take CFL for money over being a career backup QB in the NFL- not sure where you all think that money is. I don’t believe the top paid QB in the CFL makes NFL minimum rookie money.
He took CFL because he wasn’t going to get a shot at even being a backup here.

He didn’t take CFL for money over being a career backup QB in the NFL- not sure where you all think that money is. I don’t believe the top paid QB in the CFL makes NFL minimum rookie money.
He took CFL because he wasn’t going to get a shot at even being a backup here.
I was ready to do the research and prove this wrong, but the highest paid player in the CFL was $600K last year. League average was $72.

And I think it's probably accurate to say he was morely likely to come into the league as a third stringer then a backup, but there is a worthwhile debate of is it better to play in the CHL or take a practice squad role. Certainly, as one suggests above, it's more fun.

Saw a fun stat about Chase Daniel, possibly the “best” backup quarterback out there. Obviously he’s a bit of an anomaly, but he’s started 5 games and thrown 261 passes and made $41 million. That’s $16 million more than Joe Montana made in his career.
Half of that was paid by the Eagles to backup and mentor Carson Wentz when they drafted him

Could happen but have to think that's a pretty long shot. Wasn't the last QB to do that Warren Moon like 40 years ago?
You can bet he's making more in the CFL now as he would as an undrafted FA back if the rotation QB. No I idea what his contract is in the CFL but he's most likely make more Than the league minimum. Money today is worth more than money tomorrow. Of he can make 1-2 million per year now it's more than he would make as a practice squad guy in the NFL

You can bet he's making more in the CFL now as he would as an undrafted FA back if the rotation QB. No I idea what his contract is in the CFL but he's most likely make more Than the league minimum. Money today is worth more than money tomorrow. Of he can make 1-2 million per year now it's more than he would make as a practice squad guy in the NFL
NFL PS players make between 165k-252k...highest paid QB in CFL is making just over $600k. Rookie CFL QB's make maybe 100k or so...

NFL PS players make between 165k-252k...highest paid QB in CFL is making just over $600k. Rookie CFL QB's make maybe 100k or so...
Well then no NFL offered. Or he had to try an earn a PS spot. Either way this guy obviously wasn't someone GMs and scouts see as an NFL Qb which is in all my other posts. But congrats on googling all this. Glad you have the time

Well then no NFL offered. Or he had to try an earn a PS spot. Either way this guy obviously wasn't someone GMs and scouts see as an NFL Qb which is in all my other posts. But congrats on googling all this. Glad you have the time
I googled to just verify current numbers. I knew them like the back of my hand 10 years ago.
And only did so because someone directly mentioned that they thought a CFL QB was a smart move money wise vs being a career backup NFL QB.
It isn’t- and my point was, the money has nothing to do with it, there is no NFL interest so CFL is his only option.

The NFL is insanely cookie cutter. If you don't fit a prototype they throw you aside like a piece of garbage. It's nuts.
I disagree with that. I think the current NFL is less “cookie cutter” than ever regarding QBs. If you go back more than 10 years or so, QBs under 6’1 or so would never get drafted. Doug Flutie had to prove himself in the CFL first. I always thought FSU’s Charlie Ward would have been really good in the NFL in the 90’s. He was told at best he would get picked in the 7th rd and decided to play in the NBA (he was very good at both sports). QBs the size of Bryce Young or Kyler Murray would have never been drafted , nevermind at the top of the draft. The NFL game has changed and that has helped smaller more mobile QBs getting drafted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT