ADVERTISEMENT

Wow...Didn't know #s were so bad

I never understood why this was such a problem for Wimsatt. Obviously he was able to lead receivers in high school or he wouldn't have gotten this far. Somehow the game never slowed down for him in college enough to let him focus on getting the ball to his receivers. The same was true for running the RPO option; he was so rushed mentally that he couldn't concentrate on reading his keys.
No. He was a running QB in high school. Go back and watch his tape. He couldn't throw in high school either.

No. He was a running QB in high school. Go back and watch his tape. He couldn't throw in high school either.
I just watched Ajani's HS tape, and it was him running, and throwing bombs. Yes the latter is "leading the receivers", but not really the same as leading a back on a wheel route or a WR over the middle on a crossing pattern.

Figure Wimsatt's and many other running QB's hs tape's look the same.

Gavin was never able to develop accuracy for other routes, other guys do, hopefully Ajani does.

See above. Block R at very bottom above 10.0 is GW. AK is just to the left of 9.0 between 65-70%

See above. Block R at very bottom above 10.0 is GW. AK is just to the left of 9.0 between 65-70%

To me - the bigger difference is AK lost Darius Taylor early who would definitely have been Minny’s best back. A run first style offense that lacks good RBs isn’t likely to be successful and ultimately you’d expect would be reflected in the passing. Al has been saying Minny had more talented receivers but I’m not convinced that was the case. I’m not necessarily an XO expert but it seemed to me our receivers mostly caught the balls that were well thrown. In the least, I don’t believe our lack of success in short pass play and extremely limited relative post yardage was because Minnys receivers were just significantly better than our guys at breaking tackles, for example. AK just throws a better short pass in stride that allows for continuation progress more often. It’s really that simple.

I just watched Ajani's HS tape, and it was him running, and throwing bombs. Yes the latter is "leading the receivers", but not really the same as leading a back on a wheel route or a WR over the middle on a crossing pattern.

Gavin was never able to develop accuracy for other routes, other guys do, hopefully Ajani does.

So it sounds like we recruited Wimsatt because he was an athlete (the running) with a big arm (the bombs)and we figured that we could develop him. It seems to me this isn't the first QB we've recruited like that, if I recall correctly, we ended up turning a similar QB recruit into a tight end. My guess is that we're far from the only coaching staff with that strategy.

Reactions: RU-05

If there is one thing about Ajani, it’s that he throws accurately. Can’t wait to watch him develop.

So it sounds like we recruited Wimsatt because he was an athlete (the running) with a big arm (the bombs)and we figured that we could develop him. It seems to me this isn't the first QB we've recruited like that, if I recall correctly, we ended up turning a similar QB recruit into a tight end. My guess is that we're far from the only coaching staff with that strategy.
Yes, and we felt we could win or come close with his style of play. (Dual threat). As the WR Corp was weak at the time he was recruited, with only Bo being a legitimate Big 10 receiver. We hoped his passing would develop to a competitive level.

In the end, Wimsatt wound up being a transitional quarterback.

Ya, he had physical tools. Similar to Sitkowski or Rettig, except Wimsatt could run.

Sitkowski struggled with reading defenses. I'd say Rettig did too. Wimsatt was just very inaccurate.

We need a guy who can hit 5-10 yard passes.

Wimsatt had trouble with passes HS QBs are expected to make.

It’s not an exaggeration.
Which if he could hit the 20 yard crossing route wouldn't matter that much. But despite having an arm more than strong enough to throw such routes, he missed badly on those too.

What’s interesting is that RU prior to Wimsatt lacked a qb that could sling the ball down field 30+ yds and to the wide side of the field with pace since Nova. Part of the frustration with Wimsatt is that defenses stayed back because of the potential to throw down field which made the available short throw misses to the flats that more frustrating. The throws were there and Wimsatt did not hit them.

Again quality of wrs were down and there the TE threat over the middle was non-existent during Wimsatt’s stay. Athan had a better receiving crew at Minn than Wimsatt at RU. That is non-debatable. Athan looks to make more accurate throws and RU should have a better receiving crew this season with a stud rb which all should result in better offensive production.

I think Athan is an upgrade overall but not by much but the offense overall will be upgraded by an improved OL and receivers.

Let’s see if the program can take a step forward to 8+ wins.

GO RU

Reactions: GillesDeleuze
To me - the bigger difference is AK lost Darius Taylor early who would definitely have been Minny’s best back. A run first style offense that lacks good RBs isn’t likely to be successful and ultimately you’d expect would be reflected in the passing. Al has been saying Minny had more talented receivers but I’m not convinced that was the case. I’m not necessarily an XO expert but it seemed to me our receivers mostly caught the balls that were well thrown. In the least, I don’t believe our lack of success in short pass play and extremely limited relative post yardage was because Minnys receivers were just significantly better than our guys at breaking tackles, for example. AK just throws a better short pass in stride that allows for continuation progress more often. It’s really that simple.
Agree. And the idea that our receivers couldn't get open...that's just not what I witnessed. Probably in part to Kyle and the running game, but it seemed to me our WRs had no problem finding space. Now, we were much less likely to throw over the middle which is the bread and butter of most downfield passing. Why was that, I wonder?

Correct

Cincinnati, Michigan St and Iowa are programs that I can recall off the top of my head that recruits QB’s and end up as TE. A lot of kids have positions changes.

Second time your posting a meaningless and thoughtless statistic even though it means nothing.
Just because you lack the sophistication to understand what a 58% completion percentage means, doesn’t mean it means nothing. If you don’t know, ask, don’t assume. A 58% completion percentage means Athan throws 2500 to 3000 yards, assuming roughly 350 passing attempts, and at least a 12.35 ypc average. Coupled with an expected 2K yards rushing, this makes for a much improved offensive output.

Mike Teels junior year is the baseline.

Last edited:
Just because you lack the sophistication to understand what a 58% completion percentage means, doesn’t mean it means nothing. If you don’t know, ask, don’t assume. A 58% completion percentage means Athan throws 2500 to 3000 yards, assuming roughly 350 passing attempts, and at least a 12.35 ypc average. Coupled with an expected 2K yards rushing, this makes for a much improved offensive output.

Mike Teels junior year is the baseline.
Please Al . .. you must know that doesn't logically follow. A QB could easily have a 58% completion rate without the rest of those numbers. Teel did that well (actually, a little better) his junior year with a 58% completion rate, but there's no guarantee that a 58% completion rate will necessarily lead to those numbers or better.

Please Al . .. you must know that doesn't logically follow. A QB could easily have a 58% completion rate without the rest of those numbers. Teel did that well (actually, a little better) his junior year with a 58% completion rate, but there's no guarantee that a 58% completion rate will necessarily lead to those numbers or better.
It logically follows if the assumptions are correct.

Is it a guarantee? Of course not. But given that Athan averaged 11.78 yards per completion in 2023, and we likely will be passing more, and he will have better protection, I feel comfortable with my base assumptions, which is 350 passing attempts and 12.35 yards per completion. This is what’s called a projection.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops

Is it a guarantee? Of course not. But given that Athan averaged 11.78 yards per completion in 2023, and we likely will be passing more, and he will have better protection, I feel comfortable with my base assumptions, which is 350 passing attempts and 12.35 yards per completion. This is what’s called a projection.
That's better. At least now we know where your projection comes from. All the same, I think you should refrain from criticizing other posters for their lack of "sophistication."

That's better. At least now we know where your projection comes from. All the same, I think you should refrain from criticizing other posters for their lack of "sophistication."
Other posters should refrain from making douchebag comments asserting that the statistic I used means nothing. People reap what they sow.

Other posters should refrain from making douchebag comments asserting that the statistic I used means nothing. People reap what they sow.
Then show your work the first time if you don't want pushback. Fcking posting 101, you new around here or just a nob?

The statistic doesn't mean anything standing alone,and that's why you get negative responses until you explain it Just as you say, people reap what they sow.

• Love
Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
The statistic doesn't mean anything standing alone,and that's why you get negative responses until you explain it Just as you say, people reap what they sow.
He's the self anointed smartest guy in the room. Everyone is supposed to bow down to his greatness and not question his delusional posts.

Suppose a QB has a 40% completion rate. He misses two throws in a a series, but then hits the 3rd throw for a 1st down. This happens over and over again per series. Is that bad or good?

75. Athan Kaliakmanis - Rutgers Scarlet Knights​

©Provided by SportsGrid
Athan Kaliakmanis transferred from Minnesota and beat out Gavin Wimsatt to be named the starting quarterback for the Rutgers Scarlet Knights. Kaliakmanis struggled mightily at Minnesota in 2023, completing only 53.1 percent of his passes on 6.3 yards per attempt for 14 touchdowns and nine interceptions.
He is not a major runner, which Wimsatt sort of offered, but he should be a better passer than what he showed for Minnesota. Rutgers has an elite running back and will lean heavily on the rushing attack so they really just need Kaliakmanis to provide a bit of balance with consistency.

Good Lord...Can 1 day we get a good QB?
Maybe this can become a series in which you regularly post about publicly available information and previously discussed topics that you didn’t know about. Next up: Vietnam, not such a good idea.

Yup. And even if he averages less than 12 yards per throw, it may not matter. We’re a run first team. We just need to be able to mix things up consistently to pick up 5-6 yards in the air to move the chains. AK is not immobile either. He won’t net huge rush yardage on explosive big plays set up specifically for him, but he has pretty good reaction instincts in terms of scrambling / sliding for first downs.

Suppose a QB has a 40% completion rate. He misses two throws in a a series, but then hits the 3rd throw for a 1st down. This happens over and over again per series. Is that bad or good?

It could - but on average, things usually even out. For us especially being a run first team we’re probably not going to be passing all 3 downs much unless we’re playing from behind which hopefully doesn’t happen too often.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT