ADVERTISEMENT

OT; The 150th Open Championship

Enjoy. The British Open is something also on my bucket list.

Is this the place Tiger Woods won without using the driver? Hope they have made changes to the course so that can't happen again.

Anyone getting up at 4am to catch the Open? Think Rory’s featured group is 4:30. Pulling for Rory to win and Tiger for a good showing.

Man, Tiger and David Duval dropping deuces in their opening round. Remember when they were the top 2 in the world?

Man, Tiger and David Duval dropping deuces in their opening round. Remember when they were the top 2 in the world?
Duval had a short shelf life as a top golfer. 13 wins. 1 major in a 4 year period. I do not think he one of golf's all time greats.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Duval had a short shelf life as a top golfer. 13 wins. 1 major in a 4 year period. I do not think he one of golf's all time greats.
His GF messed him up and turned him into a pot head right at his prime.

Does it take 6 hours to finish a round? That is ridiculous. They need to also start from the 10th tee.
It seems like sun stays out a long time there during summer.
There is no beauty to these links courses. It is like playing on the moon.

Does it take 6 hours to finish a round? That is ridiculous. They need to also start from the 10th tee.
It's a major on a small course with many places where the ball can't be played so they wait for an official to make sure they are placing the ball correctly. Just the way it is in some of these tournaments.
Starting on both nines does not speed up play at all. It just puts more people on the course faster which in itself leads to slow play.

They mentioned this on the telecast. There are a quite a few holes where players playing different holes are all in a small area (fairways close to each other, shared greens) so there can be a lot of waiting for guys on a different hole to hit their shot.

It's a major on a small course with many places where the ball can't be played so they wait for an official to make sure they are placing the ball correctly. Just the way it is in some of these tournaments.
Starting on both nines does not speed up play at all. It just puts more people on the course faster which in itself leads to slow play.
Yep, lots more rulings at the Open, given more odd situations, combined with the fact that much of the field is just unfamiliar with links golf and especially given more blind shots where one needs to walk up to see where one is hitting the ball. Starting on both nines doesn't speed up play for any individual group, but it does significantly reduce the overall time to complete the round for the field, since one has a full slate of golfers all starting at the same time, as opposed to one group at a time until the course is full.

Yep, lots more rulings at the Open, given more odd situations, combined with the fact that much of the field is just unfamiliar with links golf and especially given more blind shots where one needs to walk up to see where one is hitting the ball. Starting on both nines doesn't speed up play for any individual group, but it does significantly reduce the overall time to complete the round for the field, since one has a full slate of golfers all starting at the same time, as opposed to one group at a time until the course is full.
It doesn't save that much time. Ideally the thought process is it should save 2 hours in the full day process but in the end it adds to longer rounds. As the switch at 1 an 10 can lead to backups. Additionally once the first groups hit their 10th hole no new players tee off for 2/3 hours.
The benefits to teeing off just the 1st tee is tee time stability.

Just said on broadcast that they are asking those on the back nine to put first on all double greens to try to speed things up.

In addition to what all said above, part of the issue with St. Andrew's is that essentially the group in front needs to be on/clear the green before teeing off (due to carry/roll). Outside of rulings and the small property, that holds up any course.

Reactions: RUScrew85
This major is my least favorite. You can't see the ball. This is one ugly course. There is nothing beautiful about this course except the bridge. A parking lot at Met Life is more beautiful than this course.
They should remove British Open as a major and make Players the new major.

This major is my least favorite. You can't see the ball. This is one ugly course. There is nothing beautiful about this course except the bridge. A parking lot at Met Life is more beautiful than this course.
lol…you need to learn your golf history a little my friend…The British Open isn’t going anywhere. Ever.

… And I’ll take the beauty of Saint Andrew’s , and other links courses on water, any day of the week over tree-lined courses. The way weather can effect the game at these courses is such an added bonus for someone like me who is neither a huge golfer nor an every-weekend-golf-watching fan.

Ummm get rid of the The Open?? Pretty dumb statement. Your lack of golf history is duly noted!

Let’s go Rory!!! Hollander has a good shot as long as he doesn’t need to chip.

Love The Open. Got up a couple of time at 1;30 and 4:30 just to catch a half hour here and there. Loved yesterday's round watching Victor and Rory.

My one (tiny) peeve I realized this morning. Why do they announce the players from America as USA and not United States of America? They don't do that for any other country. In fact I think they introduce players from England and that is not even a country lol. (which I didn't know until I looked it up).

Love The Open. Got up a couple of time at 1;30 and 4:30 just to catch a half hour here and there. Loved yesterday's round watching Victor and Rory.

My one (tiny) peeve I realized this morning. Why do they announce the players from America as USA and not United States of America? They don't do that for any other country. In fact I think they introduce players from England and that is not even a country lol. (which I didn't know until I looked it up).
They are still mad about the Revolution.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT