ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The 27 most expensive restaurants in New Jersey

Adding to your list:

Rats - Yes
Highlawn Pavilion - Not even close
Ryland Inn - Yes
Bobby Flay Steakhouse - good, but not unique for a high-end steakhouse
Damn it!! I was going to go to the Ryland Inn this weekend and now you spoiled it for me...

Just joking of course..couldn't resist. :)

Totally agree on Flay comment.

Reactions: Upstream
Ryland Inn was special when Shelton was there. Still pretty good.
Nicholas is the current go to. Never fails to impress.
Chez Catherine is a solid choice. Best example of a classic French Restaurant in the area.
Somewhat surprised that Frog and the Peach wasn't expensive enough to make the list.
I remember dropping a pretty penny for a real good dinner at the Peacock Inn in Princeton but I hear it has since closed.

In general steak houses are a complete rip off. They sell atmosphere mostly. I've never had a steak at any high end place better than I can make myself at a fraction of the cost. Buy great meat. Season it right and you can do the same for 1/4 of the price.
Tend to agree, but how can you safely dry age meat at home?

The steakhouses on this list suck. That said, you can't possibly get the same quality meat that a premium steakhouse gets and I don't care who you know and what you think you're getting. The only way you'll come remotely close is if you order steaks from Lafrieda or DeBragga's retail operation. And even then, you're not getting exactly the same quality they are selling to their best customers.

Ryland Inn was special when Shelton was there. Still pretty good.
Nicholas is the current go to. Never fails to impress.
Chez Catherine is a solid choice. Best example of a classic French Restaurant in the area.
Somewhat surprised that Frog and the Peach wasn't expensive enough to make the list.
I remember dropping a pretty penny for a real good dinner at the Peacock Inn in Princeton but I hear it has since closed.
Nicholas needs a decor upgrade from the 1970's lounge theme.

The steakhouses on this list suck. That said, you can't possibly get the same quality meat that a premium steakhouse gets and I don't care who you know and what you think you're getting. The only way you'll come remotely close is if you order steaks from Lafrieda or DeBragga's retail operation. And even then, you're not getting exactly the same quality they are selling to their best customers.
What is your go-to NJ steakhouse? Sine you don't like the ones on the list.

really? I did the tasting menu with the wine pairing there ($350 just for me). Totally the best meal I ever had in my life. I thought it was worth every penny and could still tell you about every course I had. I didn't think anything would top my meal at Le Bernardin but EMP blew it away.

@Upstream have you been to Rat's for Mother's Day brunch? they serve it out of the kitchen so you get to see their million dollar stove and the chef's table in the kitchen (known as the Rat's Nest) and meet the chef and the staff.
Never thought I'd hear anyone say a restaurant blew away Le Bernadin. I'm going to have to try EMP.

Proud to say only been to one on the list, Nicholas. It was good, but not worth it, IMO. Spending on high price restaurant food is a waste of money to us.
Kind of felt the same way. Very good but not worth the money It might have had something to do with the atmosphere/decor for me also. Too much "Orange is the New Black." A high end restaurant that seems to be channeling Howard Johnson's doesn't do it for me.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Kind of felt the same way. Very good but not worth the money It might have had something to do with the atmosphere/decor for me also. Too much "Orange is the New Black." A high end restaurant that seems to be channeling Howard Johnson's doesn't do it for me.
Did you get your trees done?

I have had a meal at the following:

1) Agricola - Yes;
2) Elements - Yes when it was at the other location; have not ate there since it moved above Mistral and became a fix price menu;
3) Brick Farm Tavern - Yes;
4) Ryland Inn - Yes but it was different owner / chef so not sure about new one;
5) Olde Homestead - Yes and the one in the city is my wife's favorite steakhouse;
6) Dino and Harry's - Ok and it use to be Frankie and Johnnies, not my favorite;

I am hungry now.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Did you get your trees done?
Alex stopped by and had a look. He needs to take a sample to send to Rutgers to check for a certain disease. If positive the trees will come down. If not, they will get a good pruning. Thanks for the referral. He is exactly what I was looking for: Someone who could tell me if the trees can be saved or if they need to come down.

lol

This might be the most nonsensical leap of logic ever played here

Most NJ steak purveyors get their beef from Nebraska, Idaho and Montana.

Shall we make a reservation in Lincoln tonight?

It is still true! Of course the chefs make a big difference. But, make no mistake about it, you are paying a lot extra for the atmosphere. If you have deep pockets, then who cares right? Go for it and enjoy!

Alex stopped by and had a look. He needs to take a sample to send to Rutgers to check for a certain disease. If positive the trees will come down. If not, they will get a good pruning. Thanks for the referral. He is exactly what I was looking for: Someone who could tell me if the trees can be saved or if they need to come down.
Glad it worked out.
Back to restaurants- what are your 2 or 3 go to restaurants?
For us, it is Loteria in Asbury Park, Joe's Bay Point Inn in Highlands (although now that we are far away, we will not go as much), and Harvest in Farmingdale. We have to get back to Clementines. All very reasonably priced and excellent food.

It is still true! Of course the chefs make a big difference. But, make no mistake about it, you are paying a lot extra for the atmosphere. If you have deep pockets, then who cares right? Go for it and enjoy!

Come on dude

Three meat purveyors from NJ probably make up 85% of the premium steakhouse market in NYC--Lafrieda (North Bergen), Debragga (Jersey City) and Green Tree (Passaic). Up until 6 or 7 years ago, Lafrieda and Debragga were still headquartered in the city. The remaining 15% used to be controlled by Abelies Brothers out of Long Island.

Are you arguing that Lafrieda's 200,000 s/f warehouse in North Bergen is the epicenter of prime dry aged beef consumption? And we should put on our insulated coats and go eat there instead of going to Keens?

Reactions: rurichdog
Come on dude

Three meat purveyors from NJ probably make up 85% of the premium steakhouse market in NYC--Lafrieda (North Bergen), Debragga (Jersey City) and Green Tree (Passaic). Up until 6 or 7 years ago, Lafrieda and Debragga were still headquartered in the city. The remaining 15% used to be controlled by Abelies Brothers out of Long Island.

Are you arguing that Lafrieda's 200,000 s/f warehouse in North Bergen is the epicenter of prime dry aged beef consumption? And we should put on our insulated coats and go eat there instead of going to Keens?

But I like Keens....

I am just saying that people shouldn't be steak snobs. Like the " I would never eat at a NJ steakhouse" crap. Come on man, LOL. People can eat where ever they want. The prices listed here are very reasonable. Not everyone can drop $350-$500 on a meal.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Glad it worked out.
Back to restaurants- what are your 2 or 3 go to restaurants?
For us, it is Loteria in Asbury Park, Joe's Bay Point Inn in Highlands (although now that we are far away, we will not go as much), and Harvest in Farmingdale. We have to get back to Clementines. All very reasonably priced and excellent food.
Tough question. Lately we have been gravitating to the Poached Pear.
Good food and a BYOB. Pricy though. Drews, Brando's, Mar Bello also. Pacquale and Sabine on occasion. Have not been to Loteria or Harvest yet.

Oh. And when the weather is nice, the Marina Grill for lunch and Waypoint 626.

But I like Keens....

I am just saying that people shouldn't be steak snobs. Like the " I would never eat at a NJ steakhouse" crap. Come on man, LOL. People can eat where ever they want. The prices listed here are very reasonable. Not everyone can drop $350-$500 on a meal.

Well that I agree with. Everyone should do what makes them happy.

I also think you can get a decent steak in NJ if you know where to look.

For me, that wouldn't be at Bobby Flay's in AC. At that very similar price point, I would go into the City. I may spend a few extra bucks, but I know I'm getting the best version of the product I'm buying.

@jmg75 EMP is now the #1 restaurant in the world. Do the tasting menu with the wine pairing. Don't expect to drive home after unless you walk around the city for awhile to sober up. Ask for a tour of the kitchen. I loved LB (got a tour of the kitchen there and met the famous fish guy who breaks down all of the fish, Bourdain wrote a whole chapter about him in one of his books) but I was blown away by my meal at EMP.

@ruhudsonfan where would you go for a steak in NJ?

@jmg75 EMP is now the #1 restaurant in the world. Do the tasting menu with the wine pairing. Don't expect to drive home after unless you walk around the city for awhile to sober up. Ask for a tour of the kitchen. I loved LB (got a tour of the kitchen there and met the famous fish guy who breaks down all of the fish, Bourdain wrote a whole chapter about him in one of his books) but I was blown away by my meal at EMP.

Your house of course...sous vide and then seared in cast iron... @RU4Real

I would go to Rails in Montville/Towacco if no availability at your house...I make no guarantees about you running into (or preferably over) one of the Real Housewives of New Jersey.

https://railssteakhouse.com/

For me, that wouldn't be at Bobby Flay's in AC. At that very similar price point, I would go into the City. I may spend a few extra bucks, but I know I'm getting the best version of the product I'm buying.

Sparks is a 2 1/2 hour drive from Bobby Flays. NO steak is worth five hours in a car

Sparks is a 2 1/2 hour drive from Bobby Flays. NO steak is worth five hours in a car

Do you live in the Borgata? Like the Michael Cohen of AC?

Personally, not a Sparks fan. But Keens or Wolfgangs are 90 minutes from my driveway--which means they are 88 minutes from your driveway...

Reactions: MrsScrew
Keens hasn't been renovated maybe ever, what atmosphere am I paying for?

I would go to Rails in Montville/Towacco if no availability at your house...I make no guarantees about you running into (or preferably over) one of the Real Housewives of New Jersey.

I started to do this several months ago. Steak sous vide then seared in a cast iron skillet. Awesome. Does a great job with pork chops and chicken as well.

Reactions: ruhudsonfan

I have sous vide I have cast iron. I have a good wine selection. Its easier for me to drive to Philly or Manhattan or AC than it would be to drive to Montville. my house it is.

Do you live in the Borgata? Like the Michael Cohen of AC?..

[roll]

Ok. I have to ask. How did you get a tour of La Bernadin? You just asked???

Ok. I have to ask. How did you get a tour of La Bernadin? You just asked???

yep. I went for lunch with my brother and his partner. I was early/on time they were late. The waiter was hovering. Kept asking if I was OK . If I needed anything. Put my pocketbook on it's only little pocketbook sling-back chair. Finally when he asked again if I needed or wanted anything I just said, yes, can I have a tour of the kitchen. Got to see it all, went downstairs to see the fish guy. Alas, no Eric Ripert.

At EMP they are set up to do tours, although I did not know it when I asked for a tour. They take you back into the kitchen, put you behind a banquet, explain the goings on in the kitchen, why there are Miles Davis Quotes everywhere, how they cook, and then they make you a cocktail.

It never hurts to ask. they can only say no, right?

Last edited:
You can buy steaks and much more on-line direct from DeBragga: https://www.debragga.com

Make them at home, save the trip and save money... you do have to not be a crappy cook of course.;)

Pat Lafrieda has started selling meat in Shoprite, including a brisket, chuck, short rib mix which is great to make at home Shake Shack burgers. He has steaks filets & ground beef

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT