ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tim Wakefield dead

RIP Tim Wakefield
Tim (1992-2011)
200-180; 4.41 ERA; 2,156 K; 3,226 1/3 IP
and
Hoyt Wilhelm (July 26, 1922--August 23, 2002)
(1952-72)
143-122; 228 SV; 2.52 ERA; 1,610 K; 2,254 1/3 IP
were two of the greatest knuckleballers ever

As a longtime Yankee fan, I hated him when we played the Red Sox, but I loved Wakefield's competitiveness. He may have been a knuckleball pitcher, but he was as tough as they come. Very sad to see someone pass away so young. R.I.P.

So sad. So many baseball players have succumbed to brain cancer at an early age:

Tug McGraw, 59
John Vukovich, 59
Johnny Oates, 58
Ken Brett, 55
Darren Daulton, 55
David West, 57
Gary Carter, 57
Bobby Murcer, 62
Dan Quisenberry, 45
Dick Howser, 51

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: RutHut
I can't believe I completely missed this. I just found this out via another story about the Red Sox honoring the 2004 WS team, what a horrible tragedy. Even worse, his wife died of pancreatic cancer back at the end of February, leaving their 2 children Trevor (19) and Brianna (18) parentless. What a terrible thing to have happened.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I can't believe I completely missed this. I just found this out via another story about the Red Sox honoring the 2004 WS team, what a horrible tragedy. Even worse, his wife died of pancreatic cancer back at the end of February, leaving their 2 children Trevor (19) and Brianna (18) parentless. What a terrible thing to have happened.
Wow! That is such a tragedy. As a longtime Yankees’ fan I hated Wakefield and his knuckleball. But I always admired his competitive spirit and respected him him immensely.

Reactions: RUDave_01
Wow! That is such a tragedy. As a longtime Yankees’ fan I hated Wakefield and his knuckleball. But I always admired his competitive spirit and respected him him immensely.
don't hate him, hate Torre for not moving Sheffield to second when Wakefield was putting pitch after pitch in the dirt!

Reactions: NY AGENTMAN
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT