ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tokyo

CERU00

All Conference
Feb 10, 2005
I've got a free day to spend in Tokyo this Friday. Any ideas on how best to spend it? Thanks

I've got a free day to spend in Tokyo this Friday. Any ideas on how best to spend it? Thanks
Been there like 40 times for work and I find it a very hard place to get out and do things unless those things are eating and drinking. I would have recommended to go see the tuna auctions at the Tsukiji market, but it recently closed. The only real sightseeing things are the Imperial Palace near Tokyo Station in Chiyoda/Marunouchi, going to Shibuya Crossing to see the madness (this is the intersection with like 8 different directions and thousands of people) and maybe go to the observation decks at either the Skytree or Tokyo Tower. Last time I was there last month I saw a street tour where the people dressed up like Mario Kart characters and drove around in Go-Karts.....very Japanese but looked like they were having fun. I think you missed Sumo season, which would have been a cool thing to see on a Friday night.

Was there 4 years ago...…….agree not the most easiest place to just "hang out". Stayed in the Shinjuku section of the city...…...took some day tours and checked out the
Robot Restaurant and the Golden Gai which is a famous series of very small old bars along very narrow alleys. During the day the Shinjuku Gardens are very nice. I remember I wanted to sample more of the traditional Japanese eateries (which I did near Tsukiji Market) but the hotel clerk seemed to just want to direct me to touristy "American style" restaurants in the Shinjuku area. You can also get a nice massage at Erawan Traditional Thai massage in the Roppongi section where there are a lot of good restaurants and night life.

Hang out in the hotel bar with a lonely blonde girl.
lost-in-translation-image1-1170x743.jpg

Thanks for the ideas. Talking myself into a helicopter tour. Hopefully one of my colleagues doesn't chicken out...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT