ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Top 25 Jersey prospect decommits from Syracuse

Looks like Brent Axe got the axe from a radio station for being too negative on Syracuse in 2023. Keep Choppin' Brent!!!

Axe says at the end of the podcast (around 28:00, "a burgening rivalry" 🤓 It's burgeoning!!!

956f065e-e69d-42c4-b687-28e0ae999017_text.gif

Without question. They claim they're so high and mighty over us, yet are absolutely fixated on whatever we do.
They know they aren't high and mighty relative to us. But they remember, and that huge fall is a tough pill to swallow. So they all have cognitive dissonance and invent crazy theories to explain why it's happening to avoid the fundamental reality of the situation which is, basically boils down to: Rutgers>Syracuse

Reactions: RedTeam1994
If anyone can post on their Syracuse football board, please go over to the recruiting thread and update Karmar Archie commit to Rutgers. They have a post for each recruit they offer and normally update when the recruit commits but I think they are too embarrassed that he committed to Rutgers, another 4 star.

Also prepare to be banned after doing so.

• Haha
Reactions: Bagarocks
all of you should read these two pages and the comments

these make Al look tame

Well that was a waste. Most of the responses were pretty rational and sane. There was only on post, but I'd call it an Al Junior response. Al still wins the day and takes the prize home.

We don't hate Temple. When we bother to think about them, we hate Syracuse much more.
Temple became an issue toward the end of the Shea era and beginning of GS 1. They showed some slight improvement under Bobby Wallace. They thought that justified them remaining in the BE football conference and us getting kicked out. It lasted for a bit, we beat them the last two years, then they were gone from the BE and it was over.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Temple became an issue toward the end of the Shea era and beginning of GS 1. They showed some slight improvement under Bobby Wallace. They thought that justified them remaining in the BE football conference and us getting kicked out. It lasted for a bit, we beat them the last two years, then they were gone from the BE and it was over.
They tried to be the annoying little brother when they came back in 2012 before we promptly flattened them in the Linc in front of about 25K of our fans. Since then they haven't been a threat to us and never will again. In all honestly it's possible that none of our old BE foes becomes a true threat to us again short of getting a golden ticket to either the B1G or SEC. We're undefeated vs old BE opponents under the GS 2.0 era in the B1G.

Reactions: Virginiarufan
They tried to be the annoying little brother when they came back in 2012 before we promptly flattened them in the Linc in front of about 25K of our fans. Since then they haven't been a threat to us and never will again. In all honestly it's possible that none of our old BE foes becomes a true threat to us again short of getting a golden ticket to either the B1G or SEC. We're undefeated vs old BE opponents under the GS 2.0 era in the B1G.
I do remember some of that at the time, but it was quickly forgotten with the announcement that was about to come.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Well that was a waste. Most of the responses were pretty rational and sane. There was only on post, but I'd call it an Al Junior response. Al still wins the day and takes the prize home.
you must be drinking today:)

'I would actually trust Tirico and his political pull. Life is life. He has some sway. Not all end all, be all but he can move a needle regardless of what you think.'

'Mike is a class act, SU has a strong brand nationally.'

'SU is about to become the second most important brand in the East after P state. That matters.

SU will always have a seat at the big boy table. It might not be in the Big 10 but it will be at a minimum in a third place ACC or a Third-place combination of the ACC and Big 12.'

'I feel good about us getting a seat when music stops. We’re still NY’s College team and every league wants presence in the #1 market.'

'Tirico is the type of guy that would threaten NBC if Syracuse were to be left out of the narrowing Px field. Heck, I could see him lobbying for a mini version of an ND deal if we were left out. The networks need employees, and there are enough SU people, who if they decided to walk would shut the industry down. And the Networks couldn't fire them, because they would have no programming.'

'I think SU AND ND are tethered'

'Mike Tirico=ratings bonanza'

plus a bunch thinking the HOF members mean something in realignment

• Haha
Reactions: angmo and mosito
After Sarah’s big focus on NJ they are now down to 2 Jersey recruits.

Lower ranked ones at that.

The bloom sure came off that rose fast and they haven’t even seen his terrible coaching yet

'I would actually trust Tirico and his political pull. Life is life. He has some sway. Not all end all, be all but he can move a needle regardless of what you think.'

'SU is about to become the second most important brand in the East after P state. That matters.

SU will always have a seat at the big boy table. It might not be in the Big 10 but it will be at a minimum in a third place ACC or a Third-place combination of the ACC and Big 12.'

'I feel good about us getting a seat when music stops. We’re still NY’s College team and every league wants presence in the #1 market.'

'Tirico is the type of guy that would threaten NBC if Syracuse were to be left out of the narrowing Px field. Heck, I could see him lobbying for a mini version of an ND deal if we were left out. The networks need employees, and there are enough SU people, who if they decided to walk would shut the industry down. And the Networks couldn't fire them, because they would have no programming.'

Thanks for summarizing. There are some good ones in there. My favorite is the SU alum walkout shutting down the tv industry. The one you bolded is pretty good too.

Thanks for summarizing. There are some good ones in there. My favorite is the SU alum walkout shutting down the tv industry. The one you bolded is pretty good too.
that board is incredible as the arrogance and narcissism is quite profound

My point, if I had one, is maybe at one point when it was more competitive, Temple was a small local rivalry. But they are back in a death spiral. Wondering why EJ Warner transferred out to Rice of all places, other than a much better university and location than Temple. Poor guy was getting killed last year with the crap OL they had. He was their hope for the near future. We'll see if Evan Simon (or someone else) steps up.

My point, if I had one, is maybe at one point when it was more competitive, Temple was a small local rivalry. But they are back in a death spiral. Wondering why EJ Warner transferred out to Rice of all places, other than a much better university and location than Temple. Poor guy was getting killed last year with the crap OL they had. He was their hope for the near future. We'll see if Evan Simon (or someone else) steps up.
Oh yeah, it wasn't a bad rivalry many years ago. Pre-Big East they were normally on the FB schedule and we played them twice a year in basketball while in the A-10. One of the first FB games I saw as a kid vs. Temple. Splinters in my a$$ in the old stadium and Kennan Startzell kicked two FGs (correction) to help us win if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
It's funny also how they are all expecting him to be an above average coach in terms of preparing players and game planning etc....based on absolutely nothing. He left Rutgers because he was passed up for a promotion because he wasn't that good of a coach.

It's funny also how they are all expecting him to be an above average coach in terms of preparing players and game planning etc....based on absolutely nothing. He left Rutgers because he was passed up for a promotion because he wasn't that good of a coach.
I don't think it was a bad hire and many young coaches need to grow into the job, but they were delusional to think that he still doesn't have a lot to learn. Just managing your time and delegating properly are huge challenges in these jobs. Big difference from being boots on ground vs. program CEO.

these are actual, real comments?

I don't think it was a bad hire and many young coaches need to grow into the job, but they were delusional to think that he still doesn't have a lot to learn. Just managing your time and delegating properly are huge challenges in these jobs. Big difference from being boots on ground vs. program CEO.
At this stage, if Fran Brown has a solid DC and a solid OC, he can function as a CEO and let the coaches do their jobs.

DC is Elijah Robinson- who spent 3 years as DL coach and 1 year as co-DC at the Aggies. Seems light on experience, but this will be a good test for him.

OC is Jeff Nixon- also seems light on actual OC experience, but we shall see.

If I were in Fran's shoes, I would have sought out a DC and OC each with a minimum of 3-5 years of experience.

At this stage, if Fran Brown has a solid DC and a solid OC, he can function as a CEO and let the coaches do their jobs.

DC is Elijah Robinson- who spent 3 years as DL coach and 1 year as co-DC at the Aggies. Seems light on experience, but this will be a good test for him.

If I were in Fran's shoes, I would have sought out a DC and OC each with a minimum of 3-5 years of experience.

A rookie HC might not draw assistants with that much experience unless they are close to retirement or stepping up from D2 or D3.

Robinson o Lu had that title. He was there to recruit. He didn’t coordinate anything.

That staff will be out coached every game

No drinking today...yet. But I did skim through the post quickly...and it was still a waste of my time.

Besides his coordinators not having the experience a first time HC should bring in Brown also neglected to bring in someone with HC experience he could lean on .
Fran and his staff's recruiting is only part of making Syracuse a winner and teaching recruits winning ways is hard to do when you and your staff are doing your own on the job training without someone who has led a team before showing the way.\ and helping avoid the mistakes that cost him his HC position

and this one

'Rutgers doesn’t really deliver the NY market. Syracuse doesn’t really deliver the NYC market but we are the logical best option.'

LOLLOLLOL!!! There's no battle of NJ between Rutgers and Syracuse; maybe NY but not NJ. We have owned them since the century turned. Brent Axe is so frustrated he has to throw out false data to make his team look better. Let em keep playing the South Floridas and keep losing 45-0 on national tv. It won't be long before the ACC collapses and they'll go crawling to the Temples and Ucons begging to take them in. And then justice will be served.
A lot of sports-oriented NJ and LI people went to Syracuse and their families have ties. Same for HS coaches, gym teachers, media people... there is a latent "investment" in, not only Syracuse.. but BC, Penn State, Notre Dame and a few other schools in specific sports with NJ families and influencers (like an old pipeline for ball between Camden and Louisville or for RBs with Wisconsin, etc.)

Rutgers has made a serious battle for the sports hearts and minds from an underdog position for decades after the split between 1A and 1AA and all the conference shenanigans that went on afterward.

Overall, I'd have to say that Rutgers is the leader in New Jersey but there is a lot of competition.. perhaps more than ever. So Syracuse is not only losing to Rutgers now, but is also losing to so many schools targeting New Jersey athletes... as it should. Its history means little. They should forget about targeting New Jersey like they did back in the good old days of yore. They should pretend they are a national power and recruit nationally. Everyone should.

It is asymmetric warfare when a school can come into your home recruiting region and make offers when you do not reciprocate in kind. Do not give anyone that advantage. Recruit everywhere. It's never been easier to locate talent... and never harder to keep talent.

Uh oh...looks like another decommit for the Tundra is in the works. Their below 3 * average class might be taking another big hit.

• Love
Reactions: RUTGERS95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT