ADVERTISEMENT

OT- univ of Georgia

RUEd

All Conference
Gold Member
Aug 14, 2001
i went to Athens GA for business and took a mini tour. A couple of observations:
- the town is nice. Much cleaner and newer than NB. Much larger too. About 4 college avenues big
- school is big too. Hard to compare v RU because RU has the multi campuses not one consolidated campus
- lots of new buildings which is interesting because the school itself was founded in I think 1795. Would appear to be a much more modern campus architecture wise
-the stadium is truly on campus. I mean right across from the bookstore and next to dorms
- horseshoe shape offers a walking bridge where I guess you can watch the game from the street
- lots of passion for the "dawgs" in town

along with the positive of being on campus the negative is it ruins tailgating. No big lots like we have so you get a lot of disjointed on the street parking and the use of small store parking lots. Outside of Frat houses, I found it to be more of a bar tailgate scene
Strip bar on campus is a nice touch if that's your thing.

Athens has a ton of bars within walking distance to the stadium. They do have tailgating but less room than RU and most of them are in parking lots similar to ours. There is no open field for tailgating.

What I found odd was every building is so structurally different. Some building are brick, some white cement etc. There's no symmetry with the buildings.

along with the positive of being on campus the negative is it ruins tailgating. No big lots like we have so you get a lot of disjointed on the street parking and the use of small store parking lots. Outside of Frat houses, I found it to be more of a bar tailgate scene
Strip bar on campus is a nice touch if that's your thing.
Yeah I wondered where you park pre game.

not at all--isn't there another place for this--or is this the better place for self-ag·gran·dize·ment

not at all--isn't there another place for this--or is this the better place for self-ag·gran·dize·ment

Don't read it if you don't like it. I thought it was an interesting read and discussion. I find differences among universities and college towns interesting, and it's more on topic than half the threads here. You have no ground to stand on; take a hike.

Don't read it if you don't like it. I thought it was an interesting read and discussion. I find differences among universities and college towns interesting, and it's more on topic than half the threads here. You have no ground to stand on; take a hike.
Thank you

Isn't the etiquette to put OT at beginning of subject, as the OP did? From there it's on you to avoid if you want only items strictly RU football related. No?

"take a hike."?? I guess you're the board police--to be honest I thought we were scheduling a game with Georgia or something else related to RU football

"take a hike."?? I guess you're the board police--to be honest I thought we were scheduling a game with Georgia or something else related to RU football

To be honest, that's not what you said nor implied. It's okay to take that hike now.

I have been to over 15 UGA games over the years, friends with the Asst AD, was his best man.

Very good run down OP. Some key points about game day. All cars on campus must be moved to parking lots around 4 miles away on Friday afternoon. The actual parking lots on campus are reserved for the big time boosters. Parking decks are on campus but of course no tailgating inside them but everyone sets up around them.
Fans are allowed to walk in their tailgating gear, canopies etc the night before and stake out their space. A lot of gentleman's agreements that same groups get the same area every game. Think about tailgating on Vorhees Mall or old Queens lawn.
The Dawg walk is awesome. Thousands of fans show up to welcome the team. Before the team comes in one single trumpet player, high above everyone else, plays the first few notes of Battle Hymn of the Republic then the whole bands joins in.

One last piece of trivia. What does Rutgers Stadium and Sanford stadium have in common?
Both are built on a natural bowl and both have a small creek running under them.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
i thought it gave me a better perspective of another campus....thanks for the visual...dont pay attention to the board inspector

I am a Gator grad from the 70's.No reason to visit Athens. We played in Jacksonville at the worlds biggest cocktail party against them Dawgs every year
.Now those were tailgates

Reactions: mikefla
My Dad took me to the Varsity last time I visited him. Not exactly high quality grub, but I enjoyed it. Got a large number of "you like Rutgers?" comments while eating there.

I am a Gator grad from the 70's.No reason to visit Athens. We played in Jacksonville at the worlds biggest cocktail party against them Dawgs every year
.Now those were tailgates
My best friend is a Gator who used to go to Jax regularly. That place is a "party". He told me one year he got so inebriated that he cried when the Gators lost. Physically ballin his eyes out. He wasn't alone. A couple of fans were next to him cryin. These are 30 +! year old men. Nothing like the passion of college football.

When I was there we were mediocre and the fans were still getting used to having black players
Don Gaffney was their first black QB and he had to deal with southern fans who were still waiting for Steve Spurrier to come back carrying a rebel flag.But the Georgia games were the best of their ilk.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT