ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Victory Formation

RULoyal

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 28, 2001
Watching the Saints - Eagles. Saints down by 3 with 48 seconds left. Eagles have the ball on their own 40. 3 kneel downs, Saints just stand there but they do take their last time out - why? They’ve already given up. Should have gone into the locker room with 48 seconds left.

In case you have noticed I hate the victory formation especially in a one score game.

Rant over.

• Haha
Reactions: cshelley
Watching the Saints - Eagles. Saints down by 3 with 48 seconds left. Eagles have the ball on their own 40. 3 kneel downs, Saints just stand there but they do take their last time out - why? They’ve already given up. Should have gone into the locker room with 48 seconds left.

In case you have noticed I hate the victory formation especially in a one score game.

Rant over.
Why do you hate the victory formation? Because it is too effective in achieving its objective?

Let me be a little more clear, I hate that the defense is expected to lay down for the victory formation.
I agree with you there. The team that is behind has the prerogative to decide that the game is over, and both teams can stop playing. The team that is ahead should not have that prerogative.

That said, I would not be averse to banning the Victory Formation. It can be enacted easily enough. For the last two minutes of the game, require that the leading team must advance the ball past the line of scrimmage. Otherwise, the clock stops.

Hate kneel downs?
Luca Brasi Schiano is your man

X3I0jsl.gif

5yV0XtU.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: redking
In a one score game the game is not over until the clock runs out. Not when the offense takes a knee.

Reactions: RULoyal
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT