ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Voting by mail (oh well, political)

Status
Not open for further replies.
from the NJ.GOV website that you posted:

Any voter who chooses to cast their vote in-person will do so on a provisional ballot. Individuals with disabilities will have access to an ADA-conforming voting machine. Each municipality will be required to open at least one in-person polling site, and all counties must ensure that at least 50 percent of their total polling places are open.

From the Mercer County website:

"voting in person" is turning in your paper ballot to a poll taker. no machines will be in use except for individuals that require ADA assistance.

Please Note: The Polling Machines are for Registered Voters that require ADA Assistance. A Certificate of Disability MUST be filled out at the polling location on Election Day.

All Registered Voters will receive a Mail-In-Ballot that can be placed in a drop box at any one of the five (5) locations (see below), mailed, or hand delivered at the polling location on November 3 from 5:15 am-8:00 pm.
Just one clarification - the list of dropbox locations was for the primary. There will certainly be more for the general election, although the locations have not yet been announced.

Deciding in the summer to implement large scale vote by mail is obviously going to be a mess. Anyone that has paid attention to the federal government's lack of competence for any length of time knows that. The Dems know this and want as much doubt in the integrity of the election as possible. Then you should expect large scale riots and lawsuits to hold up the election as long as possible hoping that people get tired and give in to their demands.

Deciding in the summer to implement large scale vote by mail is obviously going to be a mess. Anyone that has paid attention to the federal government's lack of competence for any length of time knows that. The Dems know this and want as much doubt in the integrity of the election as possible. Then you should expect large scale riots and lawsuits to hold up the election as long as possible hoping that people get tired and give in to their demands.

and while all that happens Nancy Pelosi will be President.......and I don't think people on either side of the aisle want that to happen.......

Reactions: RUDead
from the NJ.GOV website that you posted:

Any voter who chooses to cast their vote in-person will do so on a provisional ballot. Individuals with disabilities will have access to an ADA-conforming voting machine. Each municipality will be required to open at least one in-person polling site, and all counties must ensure that at least 50 percent of their total polling places are open.

From the Mercer County website:

"voting in person" is turning in your paper ballot to a poll taker. no machines will be in use except for individuals that require ADA assistance.

Please Note: The Polling Machines are for Registered Voters that require ADA Assistance. A Certificate of Disability MUST be filled out at the polling location on Election Day.

All Registered Voters will receive a Mail-In-Ballot that can be placed in a drop box at any one of the five (5) locations (see below), mailed, or hand delivered at the polling location on November 3 from 5:15 am-8:00 pm.

ok, thanks for clarifying. Maybe i can just say i'm disabled and fill out the form

Reactions: MrsScrew
The Christmas rush is the busy time for the post office. I know people who were required to work 10-12 hour shifts seven days a week from the day after Thanksgiving until post-Christmas Day. Of course that was a while back. Not sure if it's still true today with those new-fangled letter-sorting machines.

The Christmas rush is the busy time for the post office. I know people who were required to work 10-12 hour shifts seven days a week from the day after Thanksgiving until post-Christmas Day. Of course that was a while back. Not sure if it's still true today with those new-fangled letter-sorting machines.

Its not just the PO, its the people who are certifying the votes. Typically senior citizens who are 70-85 years old looking for a way to spend a random day.

..but it's been clear for years the GOP wants fewer people to vote, so the poor might as well not even try.
wow. you must have long arms because that's quite a reach.

photo voter ID is a perfectly valid security measure whether or not anyone wants more or fewer people to vote.

if the people who actually take the time to vote are more informed than those who do not vote, I could easily suggest that Dems just want the uninformed to vote in large numbers because they think that favors them... same for illegals.. same for felons.. is that really who should be deciding elections?

Looks like the best way to vote in NJ is to find out where the Drop Off Boxes are and put your ballot in it.

Hopefully they don't get broken into and that election officials from both parties transport the ballots from the boxes.

Reactions: MrsScrew
wow. you must have long arms because that's quite a reach.

photo voter ID is a perfectly valid security measure whether or not anyone wants more or fewer people to vote.

if the people who actually take the time to vote are more informed than those who do not vote, I could easily suggest that Dems just want the uninformed to vote in large numbers because they think that favors them... same for illegals.. same for felons.. is that really who should be deciding elections?

Trump voters are well known for being uninformed. But Trump hasn't exactly cornered the market there, either.

Trump voters are well known for being uninformed. But Trump hasn't exactly cornered the market there, either.

well, the non Trump voters were informed by the main stream media that the Trump campaign was colluding/conspiring with Russia before and during the last election

seems to me, Fox news viewers were better "informed" all through out that nonsense...

well, the non Trump voters were informed by the main stream media that the Trump campaign was colluding/conspiring with Russia before and during the last election

seems to me, Fox news viewers were better "informed" all through out that nonsense...

There was plenty to be concerned with Trump and Russia. This story is not over. Manafort, Flynn. Trump's behavior towards Putin has been very troubling.

There was plenty to be concerned with Trump and Russia. This story is not over. Manafort, Flynn. Trump's behavior towards Putin has been very troubling.

it went way beyond that...a false narrative that was weaved for years, over and over in the press, and it took forever for the Mueller report to come out to dispel the nonsense

....a report put together by someone who certainly would have liked to nail Trump on
conspiring.......

and the end result..... no evidence at all of collusion/conspiracy.

the fact is, the dems in charge manufactured this....

you can question how Trump feels about Putin, I think Trump has too much respect for dictators and how they run their country, that much I will agree to

but it does not affect Trumps policies

finally
I just find it a bit strange that Trump supporters are viewed as uninformed, yet the others who believed a lie for several years are the informed ones....why would that be?

Reactions: Caliknight
Looks like the best way to vote in NJ is to find out where the Drop Off Boxes are and put your ballot in it.

Hopefully they don't get broken into and that election officials from both parties transport the ballots from the boxes.
I already found the drop off box in town but I’m afraid it will be overwhelmed. It will need to be emptied every couple of hours.

Bingo. Trump’s investments and ties with Russia / Putin are being concealed by all means possible. Has influenced his decision making and drives his irrational actions. Dangerous for America.

WhichReligionIsRight said:

Bingo. Trump’s investments and ties with Russia / Putin are being concealed by all means possible. Has influenced his decision making and drives his irrational actions. Dangerous for America.

LOL!

Just checked. Bergen County has 70 municipalities but only 18 drop off boxes. Only one in the largest city. What could go wrong?
And how many mailboxes outside people's homes? Everyone could have gone absentee ballot... or.. go vote on Election Day like we have been doing for a couple hundred years.

And how many mailboxes outside people's homes?
Not many mailboxes in my neighborhood anymore. During the Obama years they started taking them away by me. They recently replaced them with the newer versions. And for those that think relying on placing your letter in your own mailbox so the mailman will pick it up, good luck. Mine will leave letters in there for days.

Not many mailboxes in my neighborhood anymore. During the Obama years they started taking them away by me. They recently replaced them with the newer versions. And for those that think relying on placing your letter in your own mailbox so the mailman will pick it up, good luck. Mine will leave letters in there for days.
do you use a flag on your mailbox to let him know you have outgoing mail?

I am ambivalent about vote by mail. There are a couple of valid arguments against it:

1) Lack of intra-household secrecy. A dominant member of a household can say, "OK, let's fill out our ballots now. Don't worry, I'll help you!" I do like the idea of going behind the curtain where no one can influence you.

2) If you are the felonious type and inclined to commit voter fraud, vote by mail MAY in certain circumstances make it easier for you. For instance, NJ counties are notoriously lax about removing deceased people from the voter rolls. You may receive a ballot for dear departed Grandma. Of course, if you are not a criminal you will not use it. And if you are a criminal, you always could have illicitly requested an absentee ballot for her anyway. You just would have had to work a little harder to do it. (Note: This is a theoretical argument. Absolutely no evidence is significant mail vote fraud in real life.)

I think those negatives are outweighed by these positives.

1) Vote by mail is Putin-proof. This is NOT a theoretical argument. Several agencies have opined on the Russian threat to our democracy, including the Republican controlled Senate Intelligence Committee.

2) Most importantly, voting by mail is easier. Easier is better. Voting is a basic American right (perhaps THE basic American right) and it is not supposed to be hard.
INTERESTING. I thought that the ONE BASIC thing in Life IS supposed to be HARD

it went way beyond that...a false narrative that was weaved for years, over and over in the press, and it took forever for the Mueller report to come out to dispel the nonsense

....a report put together by someone who certainly would have liked to nail Trump on
conspiring.......

you can question how Trump feels about Putin, I think Trump has too much respect for dictators and how they run their country, that much I will agree to

finally
I just find it a bit strange that Trump supporters are viewed as uninformed, yet the others who believed a lie for several years are the informed ones....why would that be?
Wheezer, you are entitled to your own opinions about the Mueller investigation, but you are not entitled to your own facts.

First of all, you are conflating the terms "collusion" and "conspiracy". They are not the same. Mueller does not use the term "collusion" because it has no legal significance. However, his report is full of examples of what you or I would reasonably consider to be collusion with Russia. Mueller found “numerous links between the Russian government and the Trump Campaign." Page, Papadopolous, Flynn, Manafort, Kushner, and Donald Jr. are all mentioned as having Russian dealings for political gain. Mueller goes on to state that the “investigation established that the Russian government perceived it would benefit from a Trump presidency and worked to secure that outcome, and that the Campaign expected it would benefit electorally from information stolen and released through Russian efforts.”

Your statement that Mueller found no evidence of conspiracy is incorrect. On that topic, he specifically states that a "statement that the investigation did not establish particular facts does not mean there was no evidence of those facts.” What it does mean is that Mueller did not believe he had enough evidence to establish (i.e. prove) criminal conspiracy beyond a reasonable doubt. Why not? Because the legal bar to prove criminal conspiracy is set REALLY high. In addition to proving the commission of illegal acts, Mueller had to prove:
  • An agreement between the two parties to commit the acts. There has to be a smoking gun. Wink-wink nod-nod doesn't count.
  • That the participants KNEW that their actions were illegal. Tough to prove.
  • That there was a "thing of value" being exchanged worth at least $25,000, which is the threshold for a felony. Mueller could not conclusively put a price on the information being exchanged.
So the charge of "collusion/conspiracy" is hardly manufactured, as you suggest. So why do so many reasonable people believe it was? Because of one guy.

1600311836630.jpg

This guy.

Three weeks prior to issuance of the Mueller report, Barr issued his own inaccurate summary of the report which claimed to exonerate Trump. That report established people's opinions on the matter. Mueller had to take the unprecedented step of issuing a statement refuting his boss's misstatements. But by that time, it was old news. Damage done.

They were informed by the GOP-led Senate committee there was collusion you mean.

Reactions: Greg2020 and Kbee3
Wheezer, you are entitled to your own opinions about the Mueller investigation, but you are not entitled to your own facts.

First of all, you are conflating the terms "collusion" and "conspiracy". They are not the same. Mueller does not use the term "collusion" because it has no legal significance. However, his report is full of examples of what you or I would reasonably consider to be collusion with Russia. Mueller found “numerous links between the Russian government and the Trump Campaign." Page, Papadopolous, Flynn, Manafort, Kushner, and Donald Jr. are all mentioned as having Russian dealings for political gain. Mueller goes on to state that the “investigation established that the Russian government perceived it would benefit from a Trump presidency and worked to secure that outcome, and that the Campaign expected it would benefit electorally from information stolen and released through Russian efforts.”

Your statement that Mueller found no evidence of conspiracy is incorrect. On that topic, he specifically states that a "statement that the investigation did not establish particular facts does not mean there was no evidence of those facts.” What it does mean is that Mueller did not believe he had enough evidence to establish (i.e. prove) criminal conspiracy beyond a reasonable doubt. Why not? Because the legal bar to prove criminal conspiracy is set REALLY high. In addition to proving the commission of illegal acts, Mueller had to prove:
  • An agreement between the two parties to commit the acts. There has to be a smoking gun. Wink-wink nod-nod doesn't count.
  • That there was a "thing of value" being exchanged worth at least $25,000, which is the threshold for a felony. Mueller could not conclusively put a price on the information being exchanged.
So the charge of "collusion/conspiracy" is hardly manufactured, as you suggest. So why do so many reasonable people believe it was? Because of one guy.

1600311836630.jpg

This guy.

Three weeks prior to issuance of the Mueller report, Barr issued his own inaccurate summary of the report which claimed to exonerate Trump. That report established people's opinions on the matter. Mueller had to take the unprecedented step of issuing a statement refuting his boss's misstatements. But by that time, it was old news. Damage done.

Ah Bill Barr. The guy who a Republican-appointed federal judge called a liar.

The guy who tried to charge a Democratic mayor with sedition for allowing a protest.

The guy who ordered peaceful protesters teargassed and tried to hit them with a heat gun,

Oh and who now says COVID restrictions are the biggest violation of liberty since slavery, if we just forget Japanese internment and decades of legalized brutality and oppression against African, Jewish, italian, Hispanic, Native, LGBT and other Americans since.

do you use a flag on your mailbox to let him know you have outgoing mail?
Yes, because I have that type of mailbox. Most of my neighbors have the mailbox attached to the house so they don't always know mail is in there unless they have it sticking out partially.

Voting in person!
I planned to vote in person until I read that you can only vote a provisional ballot in person in NJ (and it may not be counted). Machines are only for disabled. Looks like it will be mail (and hope it gets counted) for me.

1600311836630.jpg

This guy.

You are dead wrong on so many counts but I'll just handle the first.

“numerous links between the Russian government and the Trump Campaign."

If that represented collusion or conspiracy the Mueller team would have been happy to say so. Truth is they found NO COLLUSION, NO CONSPIRACY.. just the opportunities to suggest there must have been.. so that is what they did... and that is what fuels you and others to continue the propaganda routine.

There is no collusion because no collusion was necessary.

The best case for collusion charges? 2012 and Obama open mic..

Reactions: Caliknight
You are dead wrong on so many counts but I'll just handle the first.

“numerous links between the Russian government and the Trump Campaign."

If that represented collusion or conspiracy the Mueller team would have been happy to say so. Truth is they found NO COLLUSION, NO CONSPIRACY.. juts the opportunities to suggest there must have been.. so that is what they did... and that is what fuels you and others to continue the propaganda routine.

There is no collusion because no collusion was necessary.

The best case for collusion charges? 2012 and Obama open mic..

What page is "no collusion" on in the report?

They literally were.

1600311836630.jpg

This guy.

Excellent points. But you're wasting your time with this one. It's like arguing about the existence of god with a Jehovah's Witness. They're not listening.
Sad.

conspiring.......

finally

You're wasting your time. These people are idiots.

Reactions: wheezer
Morons literally still believe this.
They HAVE to. Otherwise, their whole belief system collapses. Everything they have done or want to do becomes highly suspect if they give in on that one UNDENIABLE point.

They must maintain their narrative.

I noticed the thread OP title says "(non-political)". That was wishful thinking.. it is hard to get more political than voting rights and security and the high-stakes games being played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT