ADVERTISEMENT

OT: WABC Radio Celebrates 100 years

It was possible to listen to the top 40 stations in other faraway cities at night. Like CKLW 800 Detroit/Windsor, WKBW 1520 Buffalo, WLS 890 Chicago, etc. Decades before streaming made it possible to listen to almost any radio station online

On vacation in Ohio going over a bridge in the 60's we picked up WABC NYC.

Reactions: Plum Street
It was possible to listen to the top 40 stations in other faraway cities at night. Like CKLW 800 Detroit/Windsor, WKBW 1520 Buffalo, WLS 890 Chicago, etc. Decades before streaming made it possible to listen to almost any radio station online
Yes. I had a GE AM radio that was strong enough to Dx distant stations from Queens. CKLW was excellent. There was a DJ named Joey Bishop in Buffalo who was outstanding. I once even got WCCO in Minneapolis. There were clear channels that allowed some stations (for instance, once in Wheeling, West Virginia) to be heard over a great distance.

Glad this thread got started, so hoping someone with a good memory can help me. My friend's mom used to listen to an AM station during the afternoon that was a vaudeville-type act with a man and woman. They might have been performing plays, but it was just goofy stuff that I suspect was popular in the 30s and 40s, but someone made it through the to 70s. They also cut their own goofy commercials. It was fairly entertaining; not sure why I even remember the show.

On vacation in Ohio going over a bridge in the 60's we picked up WABC NYC.
I picked it up driving over a bridge in Fort Lauderdale in the 80's. It was so clear, I thought it was a local station until they did the traffic report and spoke about JFK airport.

As the OP said, it was on every radio on the beach. I remember about every 30 minutes they'd broadcast, "Roll your bod".

Reactions: colbert17
Ingram was indeed an innovator. He was one of the first popular DJs to push the envelope in terms of double entendres. He paved the way for the likes of Imus and Stern.

Reactions: colbert17
I remember trying to write the entire wabc year end top 100 ..in my spiral notebook as a wee child. I think they played these out of order so it was a fill in as you go. Obviously you couldnt listen all day but it was about 2 weeks they gave the number

Bee Gees, Andy Gibb and Donna Summer were dominating
Here's a little help....but a little before your time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT