ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Watched my dog kill and eat a gopher yesterday while hiking

SantaFeScarlet

All American
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2001
Gotta say I was grossed out but he was so happy and proud!

Lab, malamute mix...tough as nails. We live on a mountain and he chases 4 coyotes at a time when we're walking down our road. He has a brother (shep, doberman mix) and a champion ears shep mix 9 month old sister so he's got backup, if needed.

He had no adverse affects today and is out looking for more!

Gotta love dogs!!!!

Gotta say I wAs grossed out but he was so happy and proud!

Lab, Malamute mix...tough as nails. We live on a mountain and he chaSes 4 coyoTes at a time when we'Re wAlking dowN our road. He has a brother (shep, doberman mix) and a champion ears shep mix 9 month old sister so he's Got backup, if nEeded.

Gotta love dogs!!!!

Is this some sort of code?

Lab, malamute mix...tough as nails. We live on a mountain and he chases 4 coyotes at a time when we're walking down our road. He has a brother (shep, doberman mix) and a champion ears shep mix 9 month old sister so he's got backup, if needed.

Gotta love dogs!!!!
What???

Gotta say I wAs grossed out but he was so happy and proud!

Lab, Malamute mix...tough as nails. We live on a mountain and he chaSes 4 coyoTes at a time when we'Re wAlking dowN our road. He has a brother (shep, doberman mix) and a champion ears shep mix 9 month old sister so he's Got backup, if nEeded.

Gotta love dogs!!!!

Is this some sort of code?
We don't even play Minnesota next year.

latest

Reactions: RutgersRaRa

Gotta love dogs!!!!
---

Can you recommend a dog breed that will chase and kill squirrels ?

---

Hunters use feists and coonhounds to hunt squirrels. Beagles will chase squirrels. Am thinking a compact package like a rat terrier or a Jack Russell would do a good job.
We had a cat that was a great squirrel hunter. I would find their remains under the shed. I wouldn't be surprised if he was good for 6 - 12 bushytails a year.

Gotta love dogs!!!!
Strong prey drive in that there little doggy !

Hunters use feists and coonhounds to hunt squirrels. Beagles will chase squirrels. Am thinking a compact package like a rat terrier or a Jack Russell would do a good job.
We had a cat that was a great squirrel hunter. I would find their remains under the shed. I wouldn't be surprised if he was good for 6 - 12 bushytails a year.
I have a s noodle that like to chase squirrels

Dogs generally don't catch squirrels.

Because trees.

My GSD has pretty much eradicated the rabbit and chipmunk population over the last 7 years. She chases the squirrels, but obviously has never caught one.

Oddly enough, she has zero f*cks to give about the deer. She doesn't bother them at all.

Santa Fe lives on a mountain overlooking the old Santa Fe trail and has every conceivable upland critter prowling around his property looking for a meal You can bust his balls all you want but my man lives on the edge of heaven.

I have a cocker spaniel who chases squirrels in our big back yard about 14 hours a day , every day. He gets damn close but they always make it to a tree and run up surpentine, lol. Fun to watch, but realize he might never catch one, lol. Keeps him in shape I guess, and gives him a purpose to get up every day.

Dogs are better than people, IMO. No games, pure loyalty.

---

No, but I can recommend a dog breed that will scare away leaf ninjas and create a no fly zone over your property with their incessant barking. Great Pyrenees. You also don't have to worry about deer, other dogs or predators they're basically like polar bears.

Last edited:
I just use a bag of shelled peanuts the squirrels cant resist. who needs dogs!

I have two questions ?
1- What cat breed is it? and
2- Did you feed the cat ?

He's gorgeous...how do I upload pics.
You have to put it up on a site like tinypic and then load it from there. It's a bit of a pain!

That's my understanding at any rate. If anybody is more tech savvy than I (hell, damn near everybody is more tech savvy than I!), please feel free to weigh in.

I have two questions ?
1- What cat breed is it? and
2- Did you feed the cat ?
1. Don't know the breed since it adopted us. The cat was a male with long gray hair. Some people moved in a few houses away with something like two dogs, three cats and 2 or 3 kids. Since he didn't like a lot of commotion or thunder/fireworks, I guess we were a more quiet home with one kid, one cat & two dogs. One of the first things he did while starting to hang out by us was accompanying each dog & me while we took their late night bathroom break in the backyard. Then my wife put out food for him and he decided to live with us.
2. We fed him well.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT