ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Web cam help

looking for suggestions for a good web cam that I can use for zoom meetings with friends and relatives living fairly far away from me.
Seen some on Amazon for a little over $50, but figures find good info here about webcams and if need to get a better one than ( something like this one)

Logitech C505 HD Webcam - 720p HD External USB Camera for Desktop or Laptop with Long-Range Microphone,

I have bought about 10-15 of them at work. Plug and play, very easy to use for Zoom and whatnot. 1 of the 15 has had issues after a year, cheap enough to replace.

This one is about the same and half the price...
Amazon product ASIN B004FHO5Y6

Reactions: MADHAT1
I have bought about 10-15 of them at work. Plug and play, very easy to use for Zoom and whatnot. 1 of the 15 has had issues after a year, cheap enough to replace.

This one is about the same and half the price...
Thanks, asking around and appreciate those who take the time and trouble to lend a hand in this quest.
Seems to be a subject most really don't know what's what so very glad you stepped up.

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
The Razer that comes with a ring light $62 looks interesting... (but I'm the type of guy who over-buys thinking I don't want to buy the cheaper model only to go out and buy the one that costs 3X that later - logitech brio) But you have to consider how often you'll use it, if you can control the lighting and ambient noise around you.. if your laptop tends to be noisy.. etc.. how important good light handling and sound quality is to your use case.

I think all these for the last 10 years or so do not have encoding hardware in the camera but uses the computer decoding abilities.. modern processors have some video handling built-in. So, oddly, a more HD camera might require a stronger computer to work properly... and better internet connection.. not sure. Good luck.

youtube link for some recent webcam comparison videos watch a few to learn stuff you may not have considered yet.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Thanks for the help GoodOl'Rutgers and Rutgers Chris really appreciate it
ashohan also appreciate your input and cam is for my old desktop.
Chris' recommendation was a good one and made me realize paying a high price might not be be the best way.
GOR's links were very enlightening since I use computer for recreational purposes and might be considered computer illiterate because of my lack of knowledge regarding computer use.
Thanks

Thanks for the help GoodOl'Rutgers and Rutgers Chris really appreciate it
ashohan also appreciate your input and cam is for my old desktop.
Chris' recommendation was a good one and made me realize paying a high price might not be be the best way.
GOR's links were very enlightening since I use computer for recreational purposes and might be considered computer illiterate because of my lack of knowledge regarding computer use.
Thanks

Don't forget you can use your phone (or an old phone)
There are a lot of Youtube vids that show how

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT