ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What board members have you actually met in person?

so, so, so many. dozens even. I consider a lot of them personal friends at this point.

Off the top of my head: RaRa, SouthernGentleman, HuskersAlways, Nuts (and his dad), Al, WhiteBus, KingHigh, Spanky, Steve0, 1984, KnightShift, Rube1859, Demauroj, RUJON, RU4Real, czxqa, RUMatt, read option, plus a lot of others who came to the watch parties

and of course, that guy I'm married to RUScrew85
What no Herdof3?

Who wasn’t a little bit at that age? I think it was more a Longhorn/Zoo crew intramural rivalry as we were both so into it
True forgot the longhorn name, i never took any of the rivalry crap seriously, some people on the other hand were nuts about It. Brett and I always seemed to meet up at the keg and it was always a good time. Never had an issue with most, my roommates on the other hand. I ran Hockey, volleyball and softball, and tried to work with all.

Merry Christmas

Reactions: newell138
I have Met a ton of you old timers but only in short notice. I’m starting to develops the next generation board group so this board remains alive for generations to come. Me and my buddies are young 24-26 year olds ready to take over this board when the time is right! Haha but all Rutgers faithful and in our “have fun”young prime years.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
The list is long, as there are wonderful folks all up in here,

First order of business is to thank those who humble me, especially @yesrutgers01 and his wonderful wife, who still turns heads and @yes smiles, knowing he's the top dog. Also @e5fdny, who also humbles me with his kind words. He's also deserving of being recognized at half-time of an RU football or basketball game, but that's a mission I'll be undertaking as time marches on.

@MrsScrew and I have become close, as she's the Queen of Rutgers. We speak more than she and her husband, the physicist @RUScrew85, do on game days, Not sure about the rest of the week, but I am definitely in the running for the next ex-Mrs Screw. @huskersalways had been ahead of me in this regard, then he moved behind me, but now I'm in a distant second place due to some 39-year-old single good-looking lawyer jumping my place in line.

An unspoken friend around here, since he doesn't post much, is @RUAZ after we met at the RU-Pitt game at Pitt about eight years ago, when we froze half to death in a sideways blizzard at Heinz Field. He knows his stuff with football, having played on the 1961 undefeated team and all.

@zappaa and @Jm0513 aren't quite a package deal, but we've attended a few basketball games together so I'll run with the Three Amigos Theme (she won't object :-)). I met @Jm0513 before I met Zap, as she and I said a quick hello to each other at the Jewell concert in Montclair, then had some kind of brunch sometime after that to talk more casually. She is really healthy, eating stuff I can't pronounce along with IIRC herbal tea imported directly from the Dalai Lama. She is smart, funny, and you will never be able to predict what she's thinking. I've tried on occasion but she beats to her own beautiful drum.

@zappaa knows things about sports and coaching and body language and nuances that I don't even come close to picking up on while attending games together. I'll get a text from him about something he sees while watching an away game, and I suddenly feel like a second grader whose vocabulary consists of "see ball go." Every so often I contribute things, so there's that.

@Southern Gentleman needs no introduction around here, which is no small matter since he lives 1500 miles away and is a Razorbacks alum. I am fortunate to know him. He's somewhat of a svengali, having tried to set me up with a hot waitress in Nashville a few years go when we were both there at the same time. He still thinks it was a mistake I didn't follow up on the possible festivities, but as he knows the size of her hands concerned me. Ha!

@SF88 is a Rutgers treasure, but he's so shy that it's tough to get his opinions on things.

@rutgersal and I have met a few times, though he may or may not remember me. I now sit five rows in front of him at football so our paths cross from time to time.

@PiscatawayMike is the resident memorabilist (I made that word up just for him) and a good dude.

@herdof3 is a good dude with a sense of humor and lots of energy. He's pretty much always got a smile on his face.

I met @Bleem Phuppert (before the name change) for the first time in Arkansas, which is also when I met @MrsScrew, @RUScrew85, and @Southern Gentleman for the first time. Bleem is the smartest guy on here, as well as great fan of Vogon poetry.

@BKIn118 is the man. He and his wife sit near me in football. BK and I compare notes on all things RU, but his are far lengthier than mine, especially when it comes to basketball. His screen name could legitimately be EF Hutton.

@AreYouNUTS used to live up to his screen name, but has since mellowed. If you have a chance to say hi, do it--you won't forget the meeting.

@DJ Spanky is everywhere, especially at @MrsScrew's tailgates even if his car had issues the night before or possibly that day. :-)

@Mbash93 has since reclaimed his seats in the same row as me in men's basketball, and he's a good dude who is all in on RU.

@Scarlet83 and I have met several times at The Rutgers Club by virtue of being seated near one another. He’s a good dude with a good sense of humor.

I may add to this list as I think of more people or they guilt me into it. Most importantly, I'd like to thank God for this opportunity and ask you all to respect my decision.
Great to have met you, RaRa. You are a breath of fresh air on this board. We actually met for the first time in Ann Arbor, the night before the Michigan game in 2015 at a bar. You were with Mrs and Mr. Screw, so it was an awesome evening for me.

Happy Holidays and consider your decision respected!!

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Great to have met you, RaRa. You are a breath of fresh air on this board. We actually met for the first time in Ann Arbor, the night before the Michigan game in 2015 at a bar. You were with Mrs and Mr. Screw, so it was an awesome evening for me.

Happy Holidays and consider your decision respected!!
Finally someone respects my decision! Thank you for the kind words and the reminder that we met in Michigan. I’d forgotten about that, but when you explained that I was with @RUScrew85 it made total sense. My overarching recollection whenever I am with him in another state is that I didn’t get arrested.

Here’s to hoping we’re able to get back to normal sooner rather than later so we can run into each other at the Rutgers Club!

Last edited:
Finally someone respects my decision! Thank you for the kind words and the reminder that we met in Michigan. I’d
forgotten about that, but when you explained that I was with @RUScrew85 it made total sense. My overarching recollection whenever I am with him in another state is that I didn’t get arrested.

Here’s to hoping we’re able to get back to normal sooner rather than later so we can run into each other at the Rutgers Club!
Absolutely! See you at the Rutgers Club soon, brother!

There have been some GREAT stories from my bowl parties over the years, and so many chances to put faces-to-names, BUT the best "moniker" stories had to have been the following:

ACME Bar, Scottsdale, Insight Bowl - a group of guys AND gals showing up in "IAmRutgersAl" t-shirts

(Insert Name of Bar), Birmingham, PapaJohn's Bowl - For some reason John O wanted us to hand out name tags so people could put their monikers on them....well, I didn't....but some dude with the moniker "R U Nuts" going around the entire bar telling people that he was me, and it was HIS "party," until he ran into me and tried to do as much LOLOLOL!!!!

...he bought me a shot!

There have been some GREAT stories from my bowl parties over the years, and so many chances to put faces-to-names, BUT the best "moniker" stories had to have been the following:

ACME Bar, Scottsdale, Insight Bowl - a group of guys AND gals showing up in "IAmRutgersAl" t-shirts

(Insert Name of Bar), Birmingham, PapaJohn's Bowl - For some reason John O wanted us to hand out name tags so people could put their monikers on them....well, I didn't....but some dude with the moniker "R U Nuts" going around the entire bar telling people that he was me, and it was HIS "party," until he ran into me and tried to do as much LOLOLOL!!!!

...he bought me a shot!
We did in Toronto.

And IMO it worked out pretty well.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT