ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Where My MTBers At!?

DirtyRU

All American
Gold Member
Nov 16, 2002
Just figured I'd discuss a random topic, see how many of you on the board community, if any, are into mountain biking. I first got into it about 3 years ago, so I'm definitely still a bit of a newb when compared to some people I ride with who have been doing it for a couple of decades, ha. Anyway, my son joined one of the NICA teams we have down here in South Jersey, which is what OG got me into it. I got a bike (hardtail... Rocky Mountain Growler) and became a Level 1 Coach on his team and have been loving it ever since! We also got a Peloton around the same time, and more recently, the Zwift bike, so when the weather isn't great, we've got the indoor training covered. Track all rides & workouts on Strava.

Of course since we live in South Jersey, there isn't a ton of elevation, but we make do (the Bluffs in Millville, Wharton/Batsto for technical, Mary Elmer in Bridgeton, Ceres in Sewell, the Camden C.C. & Rowan C.C. trail systems, etc.). However, his NICA team competes in a statewide league (there's even a team from Don Bosco) so we get around a bit in the state for his races, and try to travel to some other areas to ride whenever we can. We've been up to Stephens, Lewis Morris, Chester, etc. He even had a race on Livingston campus on the wildlife preserve trails. Him and I have also done some trail systems in PA (Lake Nox and some Poconos stuff) and because of where we live, Delaware & MD. There's some great places down there (Fair Hill, White Clay, Brandywine, Granogue, etc.)

That said, any other board members out there who mountain bike? I'd be curious to know who, where at, how long you've been doing it, etc.

I switched to 26" MTB in 07 but have been on 29" since 2017.
I like it but the ticks got me to move to more open trails/roads (get 1.5 Sefas Drifter tires if you want off/on road).
Bear Mt, Harriman, Ashokan Reservoir (not mine) New Paltz (rail trails, farm fields etc), Blue Mt (technical - rock gardens etc - draws a lot of riders with expensive bikes)

• Love
Reactions: DirtyRU and fsg2
I switched to 26" MTB in 07 but have been on 29" since 2017.
I like it but the ticks got me to move to more open trails/roads (get 1.5 Sefas Drifter tires if you want off/on road).
Bear Mt, Harriman, Ashokan Reservoir (not mine) New Paltz (rail trails, farm fields etc), Blue Mt (technical - rock gardens etc - draws a lot of riders with expensive bikes)
Tick tip (we also have a chigger problem at Allaire (Monmouth). Wear long pants, spray pants legs, socks, legs and shoes with Deep Woods Off. Seems to work. More below in response to DirtyRU.

Just figured I'd discuss a random topic, see how many of you on the board community, if any, are into mountain biking. I first got into it about 3 years ago, so I'm definitely still a bit of a newb when compared to some people I ride with who have been doing it for a couple of decades, ha. Anyway, my son joined one of the NICA teams we have down here in South Jersey, which is what OG got me into it. I got a bike (hardtail... Rocky Mountain Growler) and became a Level 1 Coach on his team and have been loving it ever since! We also got a Peloton around the same time, and more recently, the Zwift bike, so when the weather isn't great, we've got the indoor training covered. Track all rides & workouts on Strava.

Of course since we live in South Jersey, there isn't a ton of elevation, but we make do (the Bluffs in Millville, Wharton/Batsto for technical, Mary Elmer in Bridgeton, Ceres in Sewell, the Camden C.C. & Rowan C.C. trail systems, etc.). However, his NICA team competes in a statewide league (there's even a team from Don Bosco) so we get around a bit in the state for his races, and try to travel to some other areas to ride whenever we can. We've been up to Stephens, Lewis Morris, Chester, etc. He even had a race on Livingston campus on the wildlife preserve trails. Him and I have also done some trail systems in PA (Lake Nox and some Poconos stuff) and because of where we live, Delaware & MD. There's some great places down there (Fair Hill, White Clay, Brandywine, Granogue, etc.)

That said, any other board members out there who mountain bike? I'd be curious to know who, where at, how long you've been doing it, etc.
Which NICA team? I Level 1 coached both of my kids on the Allaire-based NICA Team, the Jersey Shore Tidal Waves. We had races in South Jersey, North Jersey and Somerset Six Mile Run.

I got into MTB in 2014 after a major abdominal surgery- gave up running. Found that riding provided a better and longer workout. I go on 3-3.5 hour rides at plus 80% max heart rate, and I enjoy the ride much more than running. Been going 10 years. I have the best of both worlds- we have a place in Sedona, AZ, which has some of the best riding in the country, but I also love the riding around the Allaire trails and the surrounding wildlife management areas.

You should definitely hit Allaire. If you want hills, go to Hartshorne Woods in Middletown. If you decide to hit Allaire, hit me up on these boards, and we can meet up.

My NJ bike is a Ghost (German) Carbon 27.5 hard tail. I have no need for a full suspension. MY Arizona bike is a Marin Rift Carbon full suspension 29er. The 29er and full suspension is good for the rocky terrain of Arizona.

Grew up mtb in Jersey from about 12 to 18. No comp, just rec. Lucky to have lived close enough to Chimney Rock/Newman's to call it a home area. I grew up with the system and seemed there was always a new trail to discover every year. Probably the best mt biking close to RU campus, now that I think about it, but I didn't bike much while in school. Seemed like separate worlds then, lol

After RU, got around the state a bit more ..Cheasequake, Allaire, Lewis Morris, Hartshorne, Ramapo.

Moved to CO, then UT. Got trail access out of my backyard, life's good. Beyond local riding, been trying to get out to explore a couple major mtb hubs a year ...Moab, Fruita, Sedona, Sun Valley, St. George,,.

This year, been building out my truck as a bike shuttle/camper so I can camp near trails, bike, repeat. Hopefully same for snowboard in the winter. Got T-stormed out of downhill at Sun Valley two weeks ago but camping was epic!

Last edited:
Tick tip (we also have a chigger problem at Allaire (Monmouth). Wear long pants, spray pants legs, socks, legs and shoes with Deep Woods Off. Seems to work. More below in response to DirtyRU.
Any tips for those damn black flies/biting gnats in Sedona?

They were silent assassins this time. One by one, rather than a swarm. Didn't even notice them biting ...took two days to show up, lasted a month. Thought my Thermacell was keeping them away but it was not.

Between those and the even grosser deer flies I got here in the mtns, my legs are a scarred horror show this year 😄

Any tips for those damn black flies/biting gnats in Sedona?

They were silent assassins this time. One by one, rather than a swarm. Didn't even notice them biting ...took two days to show up, lasted a month. Thought my Thermacell was keeping them away but it was not.

Between those and the even grosser deer flies I got here in the mtns, my legs are a scarred horror show this year 😄
Seriously, I've never seen or had a problem with them? Do you smell bad? 😜
Compared to "dirty Jersey," Sedona is relatively free of annoying flying insects. There are more creepy crawly insects that we catch in glue traps in the house. Were you riding near the Oak Creek or water? Or maybe I have not encountered them because we are rarely there in the summer.
Grew up mtb in Jersey from about 12 to 18. No comp, just rec. Lucky to have lived close enough to Chimney Rock/Newman's to call it a home area. I grew up with the system and seemed there was always a new trail to discover every year. Probably the best mt biking close to RU campus, now that I think about it, but I didn't bike much while in school. Seemed like separate worlds then, lol

After RU, got around the state a bit more ..Cheasequake, Allaire, Lewis Morris, Hartshorne, Ramapo.

Moved to CO, then UT. Got trail access out of my backyard, life's good. Beyond local riding, been trying to get out to explore a couple major mtb hubs a year ...Moab, Fruita, Sedona, Sun Valley, St. George,,.

This year, been building out my truck as a bike shuttle/camper so I can camp near trails, bike, repeat. Hopefully same for snowboard in the winter. Got T-stormed out of downhill at Sun Valley two weeks ago but camping was epic!
Tell me about Cheesequake. . . .

See a lot of Utah riders in Sedona. I have to get to Moab at some point.

Reactions: fsg2
Seriously, I've never seen or had a problem with them? Do you smell bad? 😜
Compared to "dirty Jersey," Sedona is relatively free of annoying flying insects. There are more creepy crawly insects that we catch in glue traps in the house. Were you riding near the Oak Creek or water? Or maybe I have not encountered them because we are rarely there in the summer.
Ha, well I was primitive bike camping ..so no doubt! They have added Porta potties this year out at those W Sedona campsites but no running water 😅. And didnt have my truck shower set up yet.

I think those sand flies/biting midges/no-see-ums usually come for a couple weeks in June. Can blow in and out with winds. They were early, though, as this was still May. Have had them swarm my face like NJ gnats in the past ..but they bite and hurt! They have tiny fangs and basically gnaw a hole in the skin ..make mosquitoes look civilized.

They're not so bad when moving, but come in for the kill when you're still. The usual mosquito repellents don't work. And too often campfires are banned (or ill advised) so can't even smoke em away.

See a lot of Utah riders in Sedona. I have to get to Moab at some point.
I remember liking it but can't recall specifics. This must be 20 years ago now (my 12 to 18 above was years old, not 2012 to '18, ha). It was worth the hour or so trip for me so would say worth a look if you're out for something new. Favorite part was cooling off at the beach after ...novel for a Central Jersey guy!

Moab definitely a must. Trip up from Flag is pretty easy and beautiful. Awesome stop in Monument Valley to break it up.

Whole Enchilada, even just Porcupine Rim section, is on its own level. And just a crazy amount of trail in various different areas, and they just keep building.

St. George area highly recommended, too. Similar trip from AZ, but with GC North Rim replacing Monument Valley.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I remember liking it but can't recall specifics. This must be 20 years ago now (my 12 to 18 above was years old, not 2012 to '18, ha). It was worth the hour or so trip for me so would say worth a look if you're out for something new. Favorite part was cooling off at the beach after ...novel for a Central Jersey guy!

Moab definitely a must. Trip up from Flag is pretty easy and beautiful. Awesome stop in Monument Valley to break it up.

Whole Enchilada, even just Porcupine Rim section, is on its own level. And just a crazy amount of trail in various different areas, and they just keep building.

St. George area highly recommended, too. Similar trip from AZ, but with GC North Rim replacing Monument Valley.
Someday. . . .this damn work thing keeps interfering with the important stuff in life.

• Angry
Reactions: DirtyRU
Which NICA team? I Level 1 coached both of my kids on the Allaire-based NICA Team, the Jersey Shore Tidal Waves. We had races in South Jersey, North Jersey and Somerset Six Mile Run.

I got into MTB in 2014 after a major abdominal surgery- gave up running. Found that riding provided a better and longer workout. I go on 3-3.5 hour rides at plus 80% max heart rate, and I enjoy the ride much more than running. Been going 10 years. I have the best of both worlds- we have a place in Sedona, AZ, which has some of the best riding in the country, but I also love the riding around the Allaire trails and the surrounding wildlife management areas.

You should definitely hit Allaire. If you want hills, go to Hartshorne Woods in Middletown. If you decide to hit Allaire, hit me up on these boards, and we can meet up.

My NJ bike is a Ghost (German) Carbon 27.5 hard tail. I have no need for a full suspension. MY Arizona bike is a Marin Rift Carbon full suspension 29er. The 29er and full suspension is good for the rocky terrain of Arizona.
Awesome! Tidal Waves got first place in the league this past season. Solid team always. My son rides for the Salem County Reactors. Re: Allaire, def! It's on my list for sure, and I would def. hit you up. I forgot about Six Mile, they dropped it for the first time this year, Ken & Co. just weren't feeling the parking issues. Anyway, good stuff, good info! Small world, ha.

Awesome! Tidal Waves got first place in the league this past season. Solid team always. My son rides for the Salem County Reactors. Re: Allaire, def! It's on my list for sure, and I would def. hit you up. I forgot about Six Mile, they dropped it for the first time this year, Ken & Co. just weren't feeling the parking issues. Anyway, good stuff, good info! Small world, ha.
Wow, good for the Tidal Waves. IIRC, I coached in the first few years the team formed. Great bunch of kids and parents from Monmouth and Ocean (and Middlesex) counties. We were not world beaters back then, but we were emphasizing learning and fun more than winning. I remember the Salem County Reactors. Six Mile was kind of meh, but it is right around the corner from where I lived in North Brunswick in the 1990s.
Allaire is a lot more than the stuff on around the main lot. I rarely ride the main trails, and spend most of my time in the WMA and out by what is called Briz where it is less crowded.

• Love
Long time mtb’er

Huber and Hartshorne (right near each other in Middletown are great) used to be my home trails. But Hartshorne in particular is really hilly so now….

Allaire is my go-to. Endless trails. Fast and flowy and not a lot of hills (which is nice since I ain’t in the shape I used to be)

On rare occasion go to six mile run (in Franklin near Rutgers), Clayton (western Monmouth co) Lewis morris (near Morristown)

If you live in south Jersey - check out Wharton state forest (particularly in winter after the ticks are gone) and white clay in Delaware (worth the trip!!!)

Also have a gravel bike and have done a bunch of gravel rides/races in the past

Been off the bike for a while after a medical thing - just getting back on this week ;)

• Love
Was never super serious about it but growing up on Cedar Lane in HP, I had the RU Ecological Preserve as a backyard which provided hours of fun looping around different combinations of trails... Would definitely like to get back into it though.

• Love
Reactions: thegock and DirtyRU
Long time mtb’er

Huber and Hartshorne (right near each other in Middletown are great) used to be my home trails. But Hartshorne in particular is really hilly so now….

Allaire is my go-to. Endless trails. Fast and flowy and not a lot of hills (which is nice since I ain’t in the shape I used to be)

On rare occasion go to six mile run (in Franklin near Rutgers), Clayton (western Monmouth co) Lewis morris (near Morristown)

If you live in south Jersey - check out Wharton state forest (particularly in winter after the ticks are gone) and white clay in Delaware (worth the trip!!!)

Also have a gravel bike and have done a bunch of gravel rides/races in the past

Been off the bike for a while after a medical thing - just getting back on this week ;)
Yup, White Clay is great! As is Fair Hill. We head down there as much as we can. And def. re: Wharton/Batsto. Good for a technical workout as it is just constant twists & turns, but it's fun and you can really brush up on your turning/handling abilities for sure.

Was never super serious about it but growing up on Cedar Lane in HP, I had the RU Ecological Preserve as a backyard which provided hours of fun looping around different combinations of trails... Would definitely like to get back into it though.
Yeah so I mentioned in the Howard tailgate thread that my son and I will be bringing our bikes to that game and doing some chill riding thru the RU Ecological Preserve trail system before heading back to JMA to tailgate. Good times!

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
Back aways I was a high level racer and rode for Cycle Craft in Parsippany. Trained mostly in Morris County and raced a good bunch in North Jersey and further north. Life and kids took over so I transitioned to trail running/races with an occasional ride. I'm tempted to buy a new bike and get back into it.

• Love
Reactions: DirtyRU and thegock
Back aways I was a high level racer and rode for Cycle Craft in Parsippany. Life and kids took over so I transitioned to trail running/races with an occasional ride. I'm tempted to buy a new bike and get back into it.
When did you last get a bike?

Bike geometry has really come a long way in the past decade. Bikes more fun than ever - some call modern geo perfection.

When riding in Hartshorne yesterday and lost my rear brake, not the place for that to happen.

• Wow
Hartshorne is for the full body workout plus it has ton of trails and you can hit Huber Woods (underrated) in Middletown.

Six Mile Run might be the most fun, not the workout Hartshorne is but has great flow.

I always recommend Allaire for green horns, not too difficult and mostly sand. It also has a small creek if you can find it makes you feel like you're in another world. It seems so out of its element there.

That's where I broke my bones (almost literally), it was small, I think around 4 miles, but it helped up my technical game as it wasn't an easy ride.

But haven't ridden it in years, it's gotten even smaller as there has been little maintenance done. Always got the impression the Rangers there could care less about it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT