ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Williamsburg or Yellowstone

JERZEE73

All American
Dec 21, 2001
Looking to do at least 1 of these this summer or next. Have a daughter, who will be 9 this summer & could use info & recommendations.
I'm set on these places. Where do I stay? How far in advance do I have to book? Traveling in summer, when do I go? End June thru end August.
What are highlights?
Thanks & sorry to those who hate OT threads.

Easy call if you can get there: Yellowstone is the most unique place we have visited. Really cool, looking forward to going back.
You may be a bit late to reserve accommodations within the park for this summer but you can stay outside the park, too. You need 4 or 5 days at least to do the park right.

We are going to Yellowstone this summer (last week of August and first week of September) and booked in January - we kicked out and managed to find an available cabin in the Canyon Lodge area for 6 days - most other places in the park were sold out. I think you can stay in one of the towns near the various park entrances which have a wide range of motels, hotels, etc. but staying in the park you generally have to book a year in advance or more to get your choice of lodges. We are staying in Grand Teton for 4 days before heading up to Yellowstone. Looking forward to it though as I think it will be a really cool place to visit. Our daughter just turned 10 and is also really excited about this trip. Good luck!

This post was edited on 4/12 10:47 PM by RC1991

If I do Yellowstone it would be summer 2016. Know I need to book well in advance. Just need to know where & when to book & go.
Went when I was a kid & want to take my daughter.
Thinking of Williamsburg as a 4-5 day trip including the water park down there. Yellowstone trip would be for a week, if I did 4 days there, what else could I do in the area? Thanks again.

We've been to Williamsburg twice in past 4 years, once in summer, and once in fall. A lot to do , such as Busch Gardens (one of the prettiest, best landscaped parks anywhere), Colonial Williamsburg (our teen son and his friend were bored there), A big water park near Busch Gardens, and about an hour to Virginia Beach. That said, it is VERY HOT & Humid in the summer. We liked going in the fall a lot better. But if you do go to Williamsburg, it's an easy 6 hour drive from NJ. We stayed at a Wyndham Town house resort about 10 minutes away, rented thru VRBO for about $100/night, beautiful 2 BR/Bath condo w nice pools and gyms inside the gated community.

Yellowstone a hike obviously.
We've never been to Yellowstone, i hope to do that some year soon. We wound up going to Costa Rica (Pacific side) this past late summer (it was terrific).

Another thought from NJ is drive to Montreal, also about 6 hours, which would be cooler than Virginia, although not sure how your 9 year old would like it. Montreal also has a great theme park, La Ronde, although haven't been there in a while
Williamsburgs parks are fabulous for kids (and adults).

Do a goggle search for La Ronde in Montreal, and Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, both are beautiful with a ton to do,and great rides.

This post was edited on 4/12 10:53 PM by Abro1975

This post was edited on 4/12 10:57 PM by Abro1975

Last year went skiing at Big Sky for 5 days and took a day to go on a snowmobile tour in Yellowstone. A whole different prospective and no crowds. Wildlife was amazing and even got stuck in the middle of a herd of bison at one point.

Did Yellowstone and Jackson WY last summer, it was fantastic. Stayed in Montana at a guest ranch for Yellowstone and drove to the park everyday to see the sights at Yellowstone, Jackson area and the Grand Tetons are amazing. Lots to do outdoors. We did a day on a lake in the Grand Teton National Forest and the my daughters went zip lining. We didn't go rafting but that was an option. Horseback riding, hiking, rafting, canoeing, lots of wild animals, amazing amount of stuff to see and do.

Shoot for Yellowstone and let Williamsburg be your "safe school" for years when budgets or schedules don't allow for travel. But do something during this period of her life...she'll never be less complicated to plan for than right now.

Chincoteague, VA or Yellowstone is what your should be asking.. either way Yellowstone primarily.. and if you do Yellowstone, camp no hotel/motel stuff.. and if Chincoteague.. get a house on a canal, and bring ur crab/fishing gear .. oh and don't forget the go-karts(a man needs his fun too) if lucky try and see if they are launching anything out of Wallops

Great Thread! Wife and I are going May 28
My wife and I are flying into Rapid City, SD for 5 days to see Mt. Rushmore and do all the other sites in the surrounding area. Then, we drive to Cody, WY for two days. I hear the museum is great!
My wife booked our trip last July and the ranger she spoke to said a lot of the hotels were booked already.
ohwell.r191677.gif
In Yellowstone we are staying 11 days starting at Mammouth Hot Springs Hotel & Lodge, Old Faithful Inn, and Canyon Lodge. From there we head to The Grand Teton Lodge & Spa for 5 days.

Staying in the park is expensive, but you could stay in Gardiner, Montana which is right outside the park. My wife checked on hotels there, but most were booked.
As far as what month, the ranger told my wife that during the summer the park is packed and you can get into traffic jams because of the bison walking in the roadways.
laugh.r191677.gif

RobertG
Any info on the ranch you stayed at? Sounds interesting.
ROBOB
Wish I could do May, but have to deal with the school schedule, which I'm sure is why summers are so busy. Figure I'd try for late June or late August.
Appreciate if you could drop me an email about your trip when you get back.
Jimjazz007@aol.com

Originally posted by RUBOB72:
Great Thread! Wife and I are going May 28
My wife and I are flying into Rapid City, SD for 5 days to see Mt. Rushmore and do all the other sites in the surrounding area. Then, we drive to Cody, WY for two days. I hear the museum is great!
My wife booked our trip last July and the ranger she spoke to said a lot of the hotels were booked already.
ohwell.r191677.gif
In Yellowstone we are staying 11 days starting at Mammouth Hot Springs Hotel & Lodge, Old Faithful Inn, and Canyon Lodge. From there we head to The Grand Teton Lodge & Spa for 5 days.

Staying in the park is expensive, but you could stay in Gardiner, Montana which is right outside the park. My wife checked on hotels there, but most were booked.
As far as what month, the ranger told my wife that during the summer the park is packed and you can get into traffic jams because of the bison walking in the roadways.
laugh.r191677.gif
Nice! We are doing the reverse - starting out in Grand Teton for 5 days at Jackson Lake Lodge then to Yellowstone for 6 days at Canyon Lodge (Western Cabins - we booked in January so not much choice!), then driving across Wyoming to SD - going to stop halfway in Buffalo, WY, then Devil's Tower, and a night in the Cedar Pass Lodge at Badlands, Nat'l Park. The a night in Custer, SD to see Mt. Rushmore, Wind Cave Nat'l Park, and then fly out of Rapid City. We wanted to start out in Rapid City like you are doing but couldn't make it work with the dates and flights (we fly back day before Labor Day).

Yellowstone last summer with wife and son. Went on a motor coach tour booked through Triple A but was really a Carlton tour. Flew in to Salt Lake to start trip. Met many new families and really enjoyed the tour. Could have used a little more time in Yellowstone but was a great adventure with planned activities and someone else doing all the driving.

Originally posted by DANTHEMAN:
Originally posted by Mr Magoo:

Yellowstone.
Agree!
+1

I stay loyal to NJ and the eastern part of the country as much as I can, but the scenery out west is truly on another level, and Yellowstone is the jewel in the crown.

They are obviously very different places but I'd have to say Yellowstone, no question. It's a bit late in the day (and expensive) so you likely can't stay in the lodge, but you might be able to find a place in one of the other hotels in the park. If you can do that I highly recommend it.

The time of year in Yellowstone doesn't matter that much, but I think closer to June than August keeps you away from the potential for wildfires and makes the rivers/waterfalls a bit more spectacular. Then again in late August you should have the elk with full racks instead of looking like dopey horses and that's pretty cool.

This is a decent list of the 'must see' areas of Yellowstone, but it is huge and so much there that's it's almost impossible to give a full list.

You can also do some light whitewater rafting (should be fine for a 9yo) on the Yellowstone. If you can get a personal guide for a day, I highly recommend it as they really add to what get out of the trip. If not a personal guide the rangers will lead walks of various areas that are normally very good.

I would fly into Jackson Hole and stay in Jackson itself or slightly north if you can find a place.. There is so much to see in the Grand Tetons alone via day trips from there. If you want to avoid the crowds, you can head over to the western side of the Tetons in the Driggs Idaho area for a few days. Have fun. $$$$

brooklyn is fun, but yellowstone is much better. if you do choose williamsburg make sure to take a ride on the J train and hit peter luger for a steak. have fun and travel safe.

We stayed at the 320 guest ranch while in Montana.

When we went to Jackson the hotel we had booked had an electrical problem so they put us up in one of their managed properties; the blue moose lodge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIHa9O1EUzU

http://www.320ranch.com/

Originally posted by Abro1975:
We've been to Williamsburg twice in past 4 years, once in summer, and once in fall. A lot to do , such as Busch Gardens (one of the prettiest, best landscaped parks anywhere), Colonial Williamsburg (our teen son and his friend were bored there), A big water park near Busch Gardens, and about an hour to Virginia Beach. That said, it is VERY HOT & Humid in the summer. We liked going in the fall a lot better. But if you do go to Williamsburg, it's an easy 6 hour drive from NJ. We stayed at a Wyndham Town house resort about 10 minutes away, rented thru VRBO for about $100/night, beautiful 2 BR/Bath condo w nice pools and gyms inside the gated community.
Abro,
I was thinking about Williamsburg this summer as well. I have not gone the condo route before but I've been thinking about it. Care to share your experiences? Sounds like you were happy where you stayed. Was it easy to book? How does it compare to a typical hotel, etc.?

Thanks.

Think I'd have to do summer for Williamsburg, although it's hot Busch Gardens & the water park would break things up nicely for a 9 year old.
I'm more excited about Yellowstone. Just seems like so much to do & planning is confusing. Appreciate the help. Will read Trip Advisor & a travel guide as well. Unfortunately, am probably limited to 7-8 days, since my ex won't allow me to take my daughter away for a longer vacation. With that time constraint I need to pick & choose. My daughter loves horseback riding & I think that 320 Guest Lodge sounds great. They have a 4 night package that sounds reasonable. Hope to also spend a couple nights at either/and Old Faithful Inn or Roosevelt cabin. Won't go until 2016, so hopefully I can get a reservation.
Flights from Newark to West Yellowstone are interesting.
Wish I could do more, like Grand Tetons.
Any other ideas?

Originally posted by JERZEE73:
Think I'd have to do summer for Williamsburg, although it's hot Busch Gardens & the water park would break things up nicely for a 9 year old.
I'm more excited about Yellowstone. Just seems like so much to do & planning is confusing. Appreciate the help. Will read Trip Advisor & a travel guide as well. Unfortunately, am probably limited to 7-8 days, since my ex won't allow me to take my daughter away for a longer vacation. With that time constraint I need to pick & choose. My daughter loves horseback riding & I think that 320 Guest Lodge sounds great. They have a 4 night package that sounds reasonable. Hope to also spend a couple nights at either/and Old Faithful Inn or Roosevelt cabin. Won't go until 2016, so hopefully I can get a reservation.
Flights from Newark to West Yellowstone are interesting.
Wish I could do more, like Grand Tetons.
Any other ideas?
7-8 days is more than enough for a combo vacation of Grand Teton and Yellowstone. I would do 4-5 days Yellowstone and 3 days in Grand Teton. You can fly into Jackson Hole and drive up to Yellowstone. Stay up there for 4-5 days then come back to Grand Teton for the final 3 days and then you are fairly close to the airport for your departure date. I think its usually cheaper than West Yellowstone as well.

Roosevelt Cabins are extremely rustic. Four walls and a Bed basically. It is also an awesome experience up there. I would recommend a couple days there. They have Corrals adjacent to the Roosevelt Lodge and offer a pretty fun Horseback riding/Cowboy dinner type thing that is a lot of fun. Lamar Valley is also close to Roosevelt Lodge and it can be fun to get up just before dawn and take a ride out there with the chance to see lots of wildlife including Bears and Wolves.

The Canyon area is pretty spectacular as well as the section of road between Mammoth and Tower Jct.

Im not as into the Geysers as some others, but if you are, you can easily spend a day or two just in that area of the park. There are a ton of Geo-thermal features on the west side of the park from Old Faithful up to Mammoth.

I would also suggest some hiking to get a little off the beaten path if possible. A great hike that is pretty popular is to hike up Mt Washburn. Big Horn Sheep are a common sighting up top there as well as snow even in August. Its moderately strenuous but not overwhelming.

You should be able to get lodging reservations for the summer of 2016. I think they reserve 1 year out....maybe a few months more than that, I cant remember.

Grand Teton has some of the most spectacular views you will ever see. Definitely worth it to spend a few days there.

@ Scott,
Hi, happy to help. We stayed at a Wyndham resort. The one we stayed at was Wyndham Governor's Green Luxury Condos. Wyndam also has another called Kingsgate nearby. The one we stayed at , Governors Green, was a gated community, about a 15 minute drive to Busch Gardens. It exceeded our expectations with size, layout, and cleanliness. It was gorgeous, with 2 large heated pools, actually 3, 2 outside and 1 inside by the large gameroom. Their was also a mini golf. Grounds were beautiful. If I remember correctly last time we paid about $125/night for 3 nights, 2 very large BRs, large fully furnished kitchen, 3 new flat screen TVs, and it appeared fairly new. I will link a VRBO listing, which is the way we usually go, you will see some pics to give you an idea. The resort building style was a sort of Southern plantation vibe . If can do your own VRBO search for Governor Green, or Kingsgate. We dealth with the owner thru online, but the management office took care of the key exchange when we got there.
In the immediate area are a lot of restaurants, both local and chain. There was a terrific Southern BBQ place called Pierce's, very , very good. Colonial Williamburg, a large Waterpark, William& Mary College are nearby as well as Busch Gardens, which to me, only takes a back seat to Epcot as far as being a beautiful park. Kings Dominon is nearby as well, about 45 min away, off of Rte 95 (we didn't check it out). The beach is about an hour East From Williamsburg..

Here is a link to a typical condo , similiar to what we rented at Governors Green. There are many thru VRBO and other sites, 2-4 Bedroom choices. You tube also has videos of the resort. It's on a country road, very quiet , amongst woods and fields. Again, we'd definitely go back. We have rented vacation spots thru VRBO in Florida, N.C beaches, and Va and never been let down. But I tend to do a lot of research, I enjoy it. Good luck:

http://www.vrbo.com/644835

This post was edited on 4/13 10:26 PM by Abro1975

LINK

I've somewhat recently been to both with young kids. A few thoughts:

Yellowstone is clearly a once-in-a-lifetime experience. So, there's no question that it should be your preferred destination. As you're already aware, it's way too late to consider Yellowstone for 2015. But, you'll be fine if you book by this summer for summer of 2016. We booked a year-out (2012) for Yellowstone in 2013 and got every reservation we wanted, including a $75 a-night cabin with an unobstructed view of Old Faithful that was sprayed with mist every time it went off. Yellowstone is very diverse and the size of a small state. You need a minimum of 5-days to even get a sense of it. In my opinion, given significant drive-time, it's not worth-it to try to hit Yellowstone and Tetons in 7-8 days. You'd be better-off with Yellowstone and a more conveniently-located ranch for a few additional days.Unless you're wedded to Yellowstone, if you want to save a little time while seeing some of the biggies out west, also consider Yosemite/Tahoe or Kings Canyon, Grand Canyon/Zion or Banff/Jasper. Each are significantly closer to major destination hubs (SFO, Vegas or Calgary) and logistically easier to cover in a week-and-change than Yellowstone. They might enable you top get more bang-for-your-buck. Either way, take time to research the type of western adventure you really want before booking. You have plenty of time to book Williamsburg for this summer. In my opinion, Williamsburg and the environs (Yorktown, Jamestown and Busch Gardens) is a 4-5 day trip, unless you're seriously into history (though with a 9-year-old). If you add in a couple days at Virginia Beach, you've got a nice week. Offsite condos are relatively cheap and plentiful. With a 9-year old, I wouldn't even bother with a place close to Williamsburg proper. The experience won't be worth the money. She'll be more interested in the pool. It's HOT in the summer, REALLY HOT. Seriously, over the last decade, I've been at Disney, hiked in the Mojave and climbed a mountain in Costa Rica in August. I would gladly take the heat of any of the three over Williamsburg during the summer. It wouldn't dissuade me from going to Williamsburg during the summer once again. But, you really do need to account for the heat and humidity. Go to Williamsburg this summer, plan for Yellowstone (or other western parks) in 2016.

Thanks for taking the time. That goes for everybody.

Will
Several questions.
Do you know which place that was that was so close to Old Faithful?
I was trying to figure out how to squeeze the Tetons & Yellowstone in the same trip. Also like the 320 Guest Ranch idea offered earlier. Sometimes doing less makes a vacation better, especially with a young kid. Too much rushing around can be a little stressful & take the fun out of a trip.
Looking on line, flights to West Yellowstone appear to be basically the same price as flying to Jackson Hole & can save driving time.
For those thinking the Tetons & Yellowstone can be done in 7-8 days, you may be right. Just know what my daughter likes & some of the horseback riding at Roosevelt Cabin & 320 Ranch sounds like her dream.
Plan on doing the Grand Canyon in a few years. Went on a whitewater rafting trip 10 years ago that was wonderful & hope to take my daughter on the rafting trip in to the Canyon in a few years. BTW, the outfit I used was SUPER & I will use them again. Western River Expeditions. Truly a remarkable trip for all, especially families. Perfect for ages 10-70. Helps to be somewhat fit. Last trip was 5 days on the Green River out of Moab, Utah. Highly recommend that tour group!
I will take all the Williamsburg tips in to consideration as well. Hot & sticky isn't fun, but want to give my daughter a little taste of Colonial history.

I went to school in the swamp of Williamsburg. Summer months there are brutal. It's oppressively humid...air feels thicker than south Florida. If you're really looking for just a summer trip, do Yellowstone. Williamsburg is best for a spring break or fall type trip. Make sure you check out the William and Mary campus...the Wren building is pretty cool and the oldest classroom building still in use in the US.

Sorry to leach on to the OP's thread, but thanks for the info Abro. I will definitely check it out.

Yellowstone and Tetons and Jackson without a doubt. But be aware that you will be doing ALOT of walking. My two were around your kids age and were OK but I saw many families where the kids were brutal. Check out Signal Mountain Lodge although it's probably booked full by now.

Originally posted by jim1666:
brooklyn is fun, but yellowstone is much better. if you do choose williamsburg make sure to take a ride on the J train and hit peter luger for a steak. have fun and travel safe.
It nettled me to read this entry, which perfectly aligned with my initial reaction when I saw the thread's title.

10 Best Things to Do in Williamsburg

I've been to both, but with a young kid would discourage Yellowstone until teenage years. It's absolutely a sight to see, but vast, and (maybe it was just the trip I did with my wife) there's a lot of driving, then walking once you get to spots. Virginia, on the other hand, gives you the option to enjoy the historical stuff, but also break off and spend some time in a place like Assateague or Ocean City, Md. that'll keep your kids' interest and offer variety.

If you want a taste of the mountain region and a mix of things, strange as it may sound consider Vegas as a hub for places like Zion National Park, Lake Mead/Hoover Dam or Joshua Tree.

Either way, enjoy whichever trip you pick!

Originally posted by billhobo:
I've been to both, but with a young kid would discourage Yellowstone until teenage years. It's absolutely a sight to see, but vast, and (maybe it was just the trip I did with my wife) there's a lot of driving, then walking once you get to spots. Virginia, on the other hand, gives you the option to enjoy the historical stuff, but also break off and spend some time in a place like Assateague or Ocean City, Md. that'll keep your kids' interest and offer variety.

If you want a taste of the mountain region and a mix of things, strange as it may sound consider Vegas as a hub for places like Zion National Park, Lake Mead/Hoover Dam or Joshua Tree.

Either way, enjoy whichever trip you pick!
It entirely depends upon the kid. We spent a week in the White Mountains, which was basically driving someplace then hiking and my 7 year old daughter declared it better than Disney World.

Thanks for taking the time. That goes for everybody.

Will
Several questions.
Do you know which place that was that was so close to Old Faithful?
I was trying to figure out how to squeeze the Tetons & Yellowstone in the same trip. Also like the 320 Guest Ranch idea offered earlier. Sometimes doing less makes a vacation better, especially with a young kid. Too much rushing around can be a little stressful & take the fun out of a trip.
Looking on line, flights to West Yellowstone appear to be basically the same price as flying to Jackson Hole & can save driving time.
For those thinking the Tetons & Yellowstone can be done in 7-8 days, you may be right. Just know what my daughter likes & some of the horseback riding at Roosevelt Cabin & 320 Ranch sounds like her dream.
Plan on doing the Grand Canyon in a few years. Went on a whitewater rafting trip 10 years ago that was wonderful & hope to take my daughter on the rafting trip in to the Canyon in a few years. BTW, the outfit I used was SUPER & I will use them again. Western River Expeditions. Truly a remarkable trip for all, especially families. Perfect for ages 10-70. Helps to be somewhat fit. Last trip was 5 days on the Green River out of Moab, Utah. Highly recommend that tour group!
I will take all the Williamsburg tips in to consideration as well. Hot & sticky isn't fun, but want to give my daughter a little taste of Colonial history.
JERZEE73,

You can't go wrong here either way. Each Yellowstone and Williamsburg are national, actually, international, treasurers. Plan things correctly and each will be the trip of a lifetime.

With regard to cabins at Yellowstone, most, and I think all, of the Lodges in Yellowstone have adjoining cabins for families, including Old Faithful. They are in no way fancy, but entirely functional, clean and safe. You can stay in a cabin for the fraction of the price of a Lodge room. But, the "amenities" are almost non-existent. You, basically, get a bed and electric. Some cabin areas in the park have bathrooms, others don't, which then requires you to share functional, clean and safe bathrooms and showers.

At Old Faithful, there are a handful of cabins that directly face the geyser with views that exceed anything offered at the Lodge and, again, are available at a fraction of the cost, but none have bathrooms. We're campers. So, the lack of bathrooms was irrelevant. And, the cost-offset allowed use to spend three nights at Old Faithful for the cost of one night in a room opposite the geyser in the Lodge.

In my opinion, even if you consider a cabin with a shared bath to be "roughing it," it's worth it for a night or two for the cabin experience at Old Faithful (and, if you're interested, Roosevelt, as well). It was the first, and last, time in my life that I was awoken in the middle of the night by the sound of an erupting geyser, which I could watch go off from my window. If you're interested in one of the choice cabins, book now! We did so about a year out and got what we wanted. I wouldn't wait much longer.

As for whether you can hit Yellowstone and Tetons on the same 7-8 day trip, it primarily depends on your organizational skills, stamina and destination hub. Yellowstone is, deceptively, large. It approaches the size of Connecticut, but comes with steep mountains, twisty roads with a complete lack of markings or guardrails, bear/bison-jams, endless numbers of RVs and 30 mph speed limits. It just takes time to get from place-to-place and it's a waste of your time to rush. The trip from West Yellowstone (or Roosevelt) to the Tetons could easily take the better part of a day. If you do that twice, you spend two days in the car just travelling within parks.

Consider as well, you're travelling with a 9-year old. My twin girls were a similar age when we went. In order to make it work for your daughter, you need to keep changing it up. See the geysers one day, go for a hike the next, then go swimming in a thermal stream, follow-up with a horseback ride, hike again, then go fishing on the lake, go for a hike, the next day take bus tour, then get-up early in the hope of seeing big game at Roosevelt, etc. In my opinion, you can do all this within Yellowstone. A stay at a ranch would be a nice addition, as would seeing the rodeo in Cody, amongst other side-trips. In this regard, you could simply day-trip the Tetons, if you simply want to see the range.

Lastly, with Williamsburg, it's definitely a not miss in your lifetime trip, especially for anyone with even a bit of historical interest living on the East Coast. But, as everyone has pointed-out, the heat and humidity are insane during the summer. This doesn't mean, don't go. It means don't push an overly ambitious agenda--start early, tour until noon, have lunch at an air-conditioned inn, go back to the hotel for a swim in the pool, comeback for late-afternoon events, grab dinner downtown, etc. Then, change-it-up with day-trips to Busch Gardens and/or its water park, Jamestown, Yorktown, etc. My girls loved this trip at age nine.

Lastly, lastly, thanks for the tip on Western River Expeditions. We've taken the mule train to the bottom of the Canyon and visited Arches and Canyonlands. But, we've never rafted the Colorado, which is on the within-the-next-5-year bucket list. I've already jotted these guys down as possible guides.

I'm always amazed by the amount of great free advice you can get on any topic simply by following a site devoted to Rutgers Football. This thing of ours is a cool thing. Good luck on future adventures with your family.

Scarlet

Thanks again. The more info I get, the more questions I have.
Like the cabin idea.
You say change things up- geysers 1 day, hike the next, etc...
Does doing things like seeing the geysers take an entire day? If so, would it become boring for a kid?
Are bus tours good? Are there guides available, who might take us to the best wildlife spots?
How far away is Cody & the rodeo?
Do you pack a lunch when touring or are there places within the park to eat?
To me geysers & wildlife are probably more exciting than a scenic view for a 9 year old. Looking for those type things.
Lastly (for now), check out Western River Expeditions on line. Read the reviews. Order a free brochure. Bring your kids- no matter how old they are, they'll thank you later. The Green River was great, as I'm sure all their trips are. Grand Canyon is pricey, but also the most intriguing to me.

Thanks again. The more info I get, the more questions I have.
Like the cabin idea.
You say change things up- geysers 1 day, hike the next, etc...
Does doing things like seeing the geysers take an entire day? If so, would it become boring for a kid?
Are bus tours good? Are there guides available, who might take us to the best wildlife spots?
How far away is Cody & the rodeo?
Do you pack a lunch when touring or are there places within the park to eat?
To me geysers & wildlife are probably more exciting than a scenic view for a 9 year old. Looking for those type things.
Lastly (for now), check out Western River Expeditions on line. Read the reviews. Order a free brochure. Bring your kids- no matter how old they are, they'll thank you later. The Green River was great, as I'm sure all their trips are. Grand Canyon is pricey, but also the most intriguing to me.
Geysers can take a big chunk of time. They go off at intervals ranging from every 15 minutes to every few days. So if you are extremely patient, you could conceivably wait for one to go off. The visitor center at Old Faithful has some estimates on when they expect each geyser to go off. There are also other Geo-thermal features near the geyser areas with pretty spectacular pools that are intriguing. It is tough to say whether your kid will be into this or bored by it.There are sight-seeing tours and wildlife tours offered by the park at a hefty price tag. I have not done them. I prefer to drive so I can pull over when I want or by-pass areas when I want. A bus or van tour makes you dependent on others. With a small amount of research you will be able to find the best places and times for wildlife viewing. I will give you a hint. Early in the morning and dusk are both good times to see wildlife. Lamar Valley is a great spot early in the morning. Mount Washburn is great for Big Horn Sheep. Buffalo will be all over the place in Hayden Valley and many other locations in the park. Elk and Moose can sometimes be seen coming down to the Lake in the morning.The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone is a must-see. Impressive waterfalls and incredible Canyon drop-offs. Lots of short but challenging hikes up and down to see different areas of the Canyon. She will like that. Make sure she stays on the trails as there was a kid that died by falling a long way down into the Canyon last year.Having snacks and maybe a lunch in the car (in a cooler) is a great idea. The junctions tend to have either a small store for snacks or restaurants. But it can be 45 minutes or longer between these junctions. You will want a plan for your meals before you start your day.

Williamsburg is a nice long weekend short drive great destination from NJ...I did it several times when I was at RU

Yellowstone is a real vacation,,,,,,,,I spent a month in the area in 2005......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT