ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Willie Mays has passed away

As for all time players- and complete players- hard to find a single person to compete with him.
Mickey was great- injury and all- but- how much does his injury compare to the field you play in. I also wonder what MM could have been without the party- what if he was in May's shoes. Not take away from MM- but imagine the numbers if WM was playing at Yankee stadium.

As for all time players- and complete players- hard to find a single person to compete with him.
Mickey was great- injury and all- but- how much does his injury compare to the field you play in. I also wonder what MM could have been without the party- what if he was in May's shoes. Not take away from MM- but imagine the numbers if WM was playing at Yankee stadium.
True -- but keep in mind that Yankee Stadium, with that short porch in right and a left field that quickly fades back from the foul pole, iss a much better park for a left-handed than a right-handed power hitter

Ken Griffey Jr was the closest player I’ve seen that compares to Willie. Griffey had the prettiest swing I’ve ever seen

It's entirely possible that if not for being drafted into the military and losing 2 seasons that Mays may have topped 714 homers before any others did.

just playing in the home fields he played in most likely cost him nearly 100 HR's

I always felt Mays should have been a Giant for life and Aaron should have been a Brave for life. But both ended their careers in the city where it all started for them.

Reactions: dconifer
Here are Mays' thoughts on the catch in the 1954 World Series. He said he knew he was going to catch the ball, and was thinking about the throw back to the infield.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT