ADVERTISEMENT

OT: WOW… Pete Rose has died at the age of 83

I loved Pete, he’d go out of his way to welcome young players just called to the big leagues.
“Welcome to the big leagues kid, the hard part is staying here” he’d say.
He was always very nice to me.
Fabulous player who was revered by opposing teams, there was no way to pitch him or set up the defense to defend him.
Great point Zap. No way to pitch to him. He ripped it hard all over the field.

Children were seen as workers from a very young age - especially in rural farming areas. Kids could work harvesting at 5 yrs old. Poverty was more prevalent than people realize. Not having shoes was not uncommon 100 years ago. No social services etc and working kids were seen as old age help . People worked young and more often died young. Age was not as limiting as it is now.

People in hard conditions are often known to have a lot of kids young. Many Irish/Italian US immigrants had big families. No birth pills, abortions, welfare etc. Procreating was also a thing to do as well as a source of help. Young people who got pregnant early then would be more likely to be pushed to marry. Even churches pushed for "knobstick weddings" since they could get stuck with the bills for single mothers and poor children.

Obviously as economies developed and people had more options the laws and customs changed. Nobody today wants their 16 year old to get married but its easier not to. I find some of the "shock" and revulsion over age differences a little irregular.

A 35 yr old guy with a 21 year old girlfriend is often derided. I think part of that is due to women who hate (and I mean hate) seeing men with younger girls and men who cant get them. They've sort of agreed on having shock and awe over a 15 year age difference - while at the same time promoting transmogrified marriages that came around after the "just a piece of paper" counter-culture took marriage over a cliff.

Farm Kids - No Shoes - Common
4TlyC0T.jpeg
thanks for this thoughtful reply. Makes sense. People grew up faster back then out of necessity

If we were going to bar players for lack of character there would be 20 HOF that wouldn’t be in. HOF should judged by play on the field! If u want to put a disclaimer on the statue then fine but he definitely belongs in the HOF
He's not in the HOF because he gambled on baseball and the team he managed not because of his character. He isn't the only one.

Sorry but the guy bet on games and probably threw games as well, no way should he be in the HoF.

Also had a history of banging minors.
Threw games? Charlie Hustle? GTFOH.

Now.. mismanaged games trying to win the game and a bet? yeah.. I'd buy that. An example might be overusing a pitcher, changing rotations, etc.

I wonder how many HoF voters who bet on games voted against Rose getting in. Yeah.. maybe, as writers, they couldn't affect the games.. but they could affect how they reported on the human beings involved in those games.

Over/under was 82.5 and Rose already had the over and was tired.
Phillies don’t win in 1980 without him.
Little leaguers all over were probably helped by watching him play…especially when it came to keeping a level swing. Trying to emulate a Greg Luzinski was a recipe for striking yourself out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT