ADVERTISEMENT

Our NCAA bid

knight82

All American
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2002
The announcers on today's game were debating whether or not we'l get an NCAA bid. I was under the impression that has not been in doubt. Do we have anything to worry about?

Having a middling rpi of 42 with a sos of 90 plus and only 3 top 50 wins may raise concern...but it would be quite surprising to be left out

Where are you getting the SOS of 90+? WBB State has it at 58 and Warren Nolan has it at 55.

3 RPI top 50 wins and a slew of other RPI top 100 wins plus no bad losses. It's not a top-4 seed resume, but it should be fine.

Originally posted by BeKnighted:
Where are you getting the SOS of 90+? WBB State has it at 58 and Warren Nolan has it at 55.

3 RPI top 50 wins and a slew of other RPI top 100 wins plus no bad losses. It's not a top-4 seed resume, but it should be fine.
I found this site that had RU WBB RPI ranking 48 and SOS of 61
http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_161_Women.html

NCAA Women's Basketball RPI | NCAA.com
has RU's RPI at 41
http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-women/d1/ncaa-womens-basketball-rpi

The Jeff Sagarin/CBN Women's College Basketball Ratings | RPIRatings.com
http://www.rpiratings.com/womrate.php

After seeing those links I think RU has an excellent chance of going Dancing .
I think sometimes RU fans make Mountains out of molehills because we usually expect failure ,instead of success .

This post was edited on 3/7 10:35 AM by MADHAT1

Originally posted by MADHAT1:

I found this site that had RU WBB RPI ranking 48 and SOS of 61
http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_161_Women.html

NCAA Women's Basketball RPI | NCAA.com
has RU's RPI at 41
http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-women/d1/ncaa-womens-basketball-rpi

The Jeff Sagarin/CBN Women's College Basketball Ratings | RPIRatings.com
http://www.rpiratings.com/womrate.php

After seeing those links I think RU has an excellent chance of going Dancing .
I think sometimes RU fans make Mountains out of molehills because we usually expect failure ,instead of success .

This post was edited on 3/7 10:35 AM by MADHAT1
Ignore RealTime RPI. They aren't very accurate. Warren Nolan and WBB State match up pretty well with the NCAA. Of course, the one that counts is the NCAA calculation.

Historically, teams from major conferences with RPIs in the low 40s almost always get into the tournament.

Rutgers will get a bid but it might be a quick exit if put in the East with Uconn.

I went through the list of conference standings on Yahoo this morning and counted just 61 teams that seem to be locks for bids to the dance. That included us as one of 7 B1G schools in the tourney, with both Minnesota and Nebraska among the 7. Does the women's tournament have 68 teams like the men do? If so, that means that at least 8 clearly less-deserving teams would have to be chosen over us to have us miss the cut. And I say at least because the 61 teams include several whom I think are quite likely less deserving than our team is, such as 2nd place teams from lesser conferences like USF and Dayton, and lower placed teams from big conferences whose records are not as good as ours. To be sure, I didn't look at the OOC schedules of all of those teams but mainly looked at overall records and the strength of the conferences.

So I am not toooooo worried, but as a Rutgers fan, I know that we can never relax either.

Now that Northwestern and Ohio State has passed us and have wins over us in head to head (which is minboggling) both of which blowout and now the MSU game is not an outlier as it was a few weeks back, the bid is in jeopardy.

we ought to be from our early season body of work, one of the "last four in" kinda teams...the thing we need to avoid is the 8/9 seed which we unfortunately are looking at

Charlie Creme updates his Bracketology more frequently at this time of year. He just posted the latest which includes games thru Friday (our loss to NW). He still lists us as a 6 seed playing a first round game in Corvallis OR against Gonzaga with the winner facing a 2nd round matchup with Oregon St. this sort of makes the geographical consideration for the Women's tournament look a little silly.

Also his previous bracket had Princeton hosting the first two rounds. But after another Tiger win, he has them playing away from home. You do have to take his predictions with a grain of salt.

Bracketology 3/7

Originally posted by RUClassof67:
Charlie Creme updates his Bracketology more frequently at this time of year. He just posted the latest which includes games thru Friday (our loss to NW). He still lists us as a 6 seed playing a first round game in Corvallis OR against Gonzaga with the winner facing a 2nd round matchup with Oregon St. this sort of makes the geographical consideration for the Women's tournament look a little silly.

Also his previous bracket had Princeton hosting the first two rounds. But after another Tiger win, he has them playing away from home. You do have to take his predictions with a grain of salt.
thats why you cant take him seriously...i dont see them sending us to oregon when there is a princeton region

Originally posted by RUCONN:

thats why you cant take him seriously...i dont see them sending us to oregon when there is a princeton region
There is no Princeton Region. The top 16 seeds are eligible to host. But he bumps Princeton out after listing them as a host in his previous bracket.

There is no Princeton Region. The top 16 seeds are eligible to host. But he bumps Princeton out after listing them as a host in his previous bracket.
right,,,but what has princeton done to deserve being bumped from hosting? it makes no sense...i really see us in a region as an 8 or 9 seed playing @ princeton .

This post was edited on 3/7 2:30 PM by RUCONN

Now that Northwestern and Ohio State has passed us and have wins over us in head to head (which is minboggling) both of which blowout and now the MSU game is not an outlier as it was a few weeks back, the bid is in jeopardy.

we ought to be from our early season body of work, one of the "last four in" kinda teams...the thing we need to avoid is the 8/9 seed which we unfortunately are looking at
see that's why I was so concerned after Michigan State

Originally posted by bac2therac:

see that's why I was so concerned after Michigan State
Just get in , worry about who and where later.
It looks like RU will get a bid, but no one can say for sure

A bid sure seems likely, and just as likely will be a lot of bitching when the pairings/seeds come out.

Originally posted by BoroKnight:
A bid sure seems likely, and just as likely will be a lot of bitching when the pairings/seeds come out.
sign0098.r191677.gif

A #1 seed would have some complaining about being #1 puts a target on our back.
The excuse for not wanting top status in the regional would be: that being #2 wouldn't be giving everyone the incentive of knocking off #1 RU.
Then there would be the ones not liking the region RU was placed in because of distance, schools in that region and/or other
reasons for not wanting to be #1 there.

Seriously, you need to look at the RPI and the wins and losses. This team has no bad losses at all, 3 RPI top 50 wins and another 4 RPI 51-100 wins. This is not a "last four in" team (which, by the way, usually means being seeded in the 10 to 12 range). Heck, the last time the RPI 41 team didn't get in was 2006, and since 2000 (which is as far back as my little database goes) every major conference team at RPI 41 has gotten a bid.

Expect a first round win, but second round exit no matter where we end up.

Originally posted by RUTrack94:
Expect a first round win, but second round exit no matter where we end up.
I'll never expect a loss, just hope that RU wins against the teams they are expected to lose to.
Upsets happen, so it's nice ( for me) to think RU can win that way, instead of expecting a loss
smile.r191677.gif

Stop worrying or thinking about a bid. Worry about if the ladies can make baskets. In a practice or a game. Our shooting has been bad all year.

The bottom line is we can beat anyone if we shoot well. The last 3 weeks we haven't.

Originally posted by RU old timer:
Stop worrying or thinking about a bid. Worry about if the ladies can make baskets. In a practice or a game. Our shooting has been bad all year.
We actually are in the Top 40 in FG % ahead of such teams as Texas -A&M, Northwestern, Stanford, Tennessee and DePaul among others.

stats are linked above.

FG Percentages

Never let the facts stand in the way of a Rutgers team and coach bashing.

Or so I've noticed is some folks motto.

Originally posted by Knight Time Fan:

It does get on my nerves at times.
Instead of looking for positives, some find negatives ( real or imaginary ) they much rather share.

I was glad to set the record straight!

I was glad to set the record straight!

party0005.r191677.gif

Not sure we will get a bid.
Have seen stranger things happen.

My fear comes from how the Committee has screwed over quality teams in the past., making very very questionable selections.

So when's the last time a team that finished 12-6 (or, alternatively, in the top third) in the B1G didn't make the tournament?

More generally, if you took all of the times in the last 15 years that a team from a major conference with a winning record in conference play finished in the RPI top 45 and didn't make the tournament, you could count them on the fingers of one hand. And 12-6 is a lot better than merely a winning conference record.

Seriously, you need to look at the RPI and the wins and losses. This team has no bad losses at all, 3 RPI top 50 wins and another 4 RPI 51-100 wins. This is not a "last four in" team (which, by the way, usually means being seeded in the 10 to 12 range). Heck, the last time the RPI 41 team didn't get in was 2006, and since 2000 (which is as far back as my little database goes) every major conference team at RPI 41 has gotten a bid.
We also have very few quality wins...the Lsu win got better as the season went along and the arkansas win was very good..but other than that...we beat Nebraska at home who finished poorly and thats about it

We also have very few quality wins...the Lsu win got better as the season went along and the arkansas win was very good..but other than that...we beat Nebraska at home who finished poorly and thats about it
Actually, Nebraska and Minnesota at home, Arkansas and LSU on the road. Only one loss to a team outside the RPI top 35, and that wasn't even a particularly bad loss.

I get that you don't believe me, but I spend a lot of time every year looking at what the committee does (see the "Fun with RPI" post elsewhere on this page), and this resume is meaningfully better than a lot of other teams that will get bids. I don't know of anyone who pays attention and isn't on this board who thinks RU isn't getting a bid. Heck, Charlie Creme has two other teams from the Big Ten getting in after RU, and he's no friend of the program.

would our bid depend on whether there are upsets in other conference tourneys where a couple of teams steal conference tourneys and take away some at large bids?

You know every year a few sub 500 or barely 500 teams get hot and win their conference tourneys.

Anyone who says our shooting has been bad all year - are you stupid? Go root for literally another team and no I won't miss you donations/ticket sales/tv watching because you're not a fan of our ladies if you say our shooting is bad. All those long-range jump shots you never expect to go in and think are low-percentage, our ladies make consistently. It's actually amazing. If there was literally 1 single thing to NOT complain about, it's our shooting. But to say our ladies aren't good shooters, well maybe you forgot which team you were watching and are posting on the wrong board.

while we should be in, its far from a certainty given 0 top 25 wins and the 4 wins we have vs top 50 are solid but not particularly great. RU finished the season quite poorly and has injury problems. The committee usually makes bizarre decisions so that's why I take a little pause. RU should be in over schools like Nebby, Minny, LSU, and Arky but who knows what criteria they want. Our SOS needs to get better next year and I don't mean we need to schedule more top 25 schools but we need to get less plus 250 rpi schools and more 150-250 for our cupcakes

We lost to #6 UNC in double OT and missed 2 buzzer beater shots to win, and lost to #8 Tenn but were down 1 possession with a minute before garbage time free throws. We've been blowing out teams in our conference wins. Nwestern was going to be another example until the refs got in the way. We are a really good team, I don't know why people have been so low on us.

Originally posted by RUfinal4:
would our bid depend on whether there are upsets in other conference tourneys where a couple of teams steal conference tourneys and take away some at large bids?

You know every year a few sub 500 or barely 500 teams get hot and win their conference tourneys.
I don't think it's nearly that close.

And so far no team that's in the running for an at large has lost early in its tournament, although there are maybe six to ten teams that are left that could cause this kind of issue.

I'll stick to the positive, know bid isn't assured but won't point out all the reasons why I think RU might not.
Especially after reading BeKnighted's Fun with RPI - in and out thread and the getting to 64 link in it.
We can always find things to come up with possible doom and gloom scenarios to counter positive ones
no matter how things look.
So it's nice to see threads like Fun with RPI, that the doom and gloomers have stayed away from.
Sad to say that Positive Pete and Confident Cathy ( except one) aren't chiming in their good thoughts about
RU's chances that BeKnighted posted in the RebKell's board

Actually, Nebraska and Minnesota at home, Arkansas and LSU on the road. Only one loss to a team outside the RPI top 35, and that wasn't even a particularly bad loss.

I get that you don't believe me, but I spend a lot of time every year looking at what the committee does (see the "Fun with RPI" post elsewhere on this page), and this resume is meaningfully better than a lot of other teams that will get bids. I don't know of anyone who pays attention and isn't on this board who thinks RU isn't getting a bid. Heck, Charlie Creme has two other teams from the Big Ten getting in after RU, and he's no friend of the program.
I agree with you that we are getting in and our rpi is decent...what i am saying is that i dont agree with charlie creme's placing us out west when princeton should host games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT