ADVERTISEMENT

Pacheco To Start Today - Nice Article

"What Pacheco barely showed in college was the ability to catch out of the backfield, rarely going out on routes and catching just 13 passes during his season season at Rutgers."

THAT is what I dislike about Schiano's beans-n-franks offenses - and it never really changes no matter the OC.
I remember when Rice was on verge of NFL draft, and many of the draft gurus were saying Rice couldn't catch out of the backfield since he only had 37 receptions in career at RU.
Then in NFL play Rice had receiving seasons with 78, 76, 63, 61, 58 receptions.
Britt went over 50 receptions just once in 10 years - and he had 5150 yds while Rice had 3,050 in six years.
RU leaves money on the table with the stingy passes to RBs (and while there is often no long passing game)

As for blocking - I always said Pacehco was the best blocking RB I ever saw in college after Zeke Elliot. I'm not surprised KC would start him vs SF with Mahomes passing game. Wonder if Turay gets in with SF

Reactions: BillyC80
"What Pacheco barely showed in college was the ability to catch out of the backfield, rarely going out on routes and catching just 13 passes during his season season at Rutgers."

THAT is what I dislike about Schiano's beans-n-franks offenses - and it never really changes no matter the OC.
I remember when Rice was on verge of NFL draft, and many of the draft gurus were saying Rice couldn't catch out of the backfield since he only had 37 receptions in career at RU.
Then in NFL play Rice had receiving seasons with 78, 76, 63, 61, 58 receptions.
Britt went over 50 receptions just once in 10 years - and he had 5150 yds while Rice had 3,050 in six years.
RU leaves money on the table with the stingy passes to RBs (and while there is often no long passing game)

As for blocking - I always said Pacehco was the best blocking RB I ever saw in college after Zeke Elliot. I'm not surprised KC would start him vs SF with Mahomes passing game. Wonder if Turay gets in with SF

The fact that Leonard was also catching passes out of the backfield held Rice's numbers down a bit.

Reactions: shields and ashokan
I'm hoping to see a
Burton block that springs Pacheco for a big gainer

KC looked pretty good today, playing against what is supposed to be a really good D. Pacheco looked great. KC must be thinking they got a steal with him.

Does anyone know the last time two RU runnings back started at the same time in the NFL, if ever?

Diff. teams. Leonard was generally a full back, not sure if he started any games as a RB1.

Gus Edwards also started today, and is doing well so far. Have we ever had two NFL starting RBs on the same day before?
Two RBs starting on the same day? Someone mentioned Burton and Pacheco were announced as starters....on the same team!! That's quite a feat!

Two RBs starting on the same day? Someone mentioned Burton and Pacheco were announced as starters....on the same team!! That's quite a feat!
Burton is a fullback, though. So two starting running backs and a starting fullback on the same day.

Did Leonard ever start as a running back on the same day that Rice started as a running back?

Last edited:
Odd thing is in spite of starting Pacheco only got 9 offensive snaps. Edwards-Helaire and McKinnon combined for 52.

From the box score, it looked like Pacheco got the plurality of snaps and yards, but overall usage was fairly balanced across several guys. Looking at players who had rushing attempts, Pacheco had 8 rushes/targets, Edwards-Helaire had 7, Hardman had 6, and McKinnon had 5.

Hopefully he starts seeing more touches as the season progresses.

From the box score, it looked like Pacheco got the plurality of snaps and yards, but overall usage was fairly balanced across several guys. Looking at players who had rushing attempts, Pacheco had 8 rushes/targets, Edwards-Helaire had 7, Hardman had 6, and McKinnon had 5.

Hopefully he starts seeing more touches as the season progresses.
This is where I got it from. The NFL Network's weekly game summaries.

Chiefs' backfield shakeup ends up having interesting effect. In classic Andy Reid form, the Chiefs opted to make a switch at running back, starting Isiah Pacheco over Clyde Edwards-Helaire ... and then barely played Pacheco. He received nine offensive snaps and carried the ball eight times for 43 yards, although a few of those came late in a game that was already academic. Edwards-Helaire, meanwhile, had an efficient game with a 16-yard TD (set up by a brilliant Pacheco kick return) and 32 yards on his six carries, playing a team-high 27 offensive snaps among the backs. Right behind him was Jerick McKinnon, who had a bit of a revenge game, with 25 snaps. He ended the game with only four touches but made the most of them, including a back-breaking 34-yard screen (on third-and-20!) to set up Justin Watson's third-quarter score. The Chiefs received contributions from all three backs Sunday, as Reid's latest offensive tweak provided a big boost to a group that needed it.

Reactions: RUChoppin
This is where I got it from. The NFL Network's weekly game summaries.

Chiefs' backfield shakeup ends up having interesting effect. In classic Andy Reid form, the Chiefs opted to make a switch at running back, starting Isiah Pacheco over Clyde Edwards-Helaire ... and then barely played Pacheco. He received nine offensive snaps and carried the ball eight times for 43 yards, although a few of those came late in a game that was already academic. Edwards-Helaire, meanwhile, had an efficient game with a 16-yard TD (set up by a brilliant Pacheco kick return) and 32 yards on his six carries, playing a team-high 27 offensive snaps among the backs. Right behind him was Jerick McKinnon, who had a bit of a revenge game, with 25 snaps. He ended the game with only four touches but made the most of them, including a back-breaking 34-yard screen (on third-and-20!) to set up Justin Watson's third-quarter score. The Chiefs received contributions from all three backs Sunday, as Reid's latest offensive tweak provided a big boost to a group that needed it.
Got it. Sounds like the other backs are seen as being more reliable in protection, and Pacheco was in primarily for running plays.

Got it. Sounds like the other backs are seen as being more reliable in protection, and Pacheco was in primarily for running plays.
I suspect it's more that the other two are also receivers out of the backfield. Chiefs are a passing offense first.

Reactions: RUChoppin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT