ADVERTISEMENT

Parking donation levels across the nation

MGSA99

All American
Jan 15, 2002
Just curious here for anyone who wants to do the research:

Had a discussion at work about how much people are willing to pay for parking spaces. I noticed that for a single parking spot in our highest tier parking lot Scarlet, you have to donate $2,500 a year minimum. Meanwhile at Clemson, their highest tier lot requires a $25,000 minimum.

So just curious, what do the donation levels for football parking look like for multiple programs as a comparison? We’ll see why schools dump so much money into football due to donations just for a parking spot.

Based on what I saw at places like Arkansas and Nebraska... when alumni are flying-in their private jets the night before a game, to stay at their on-campus condos which they use only 6 nights a year, the thought of paying $25K for a good spot to park your $1million RV that you only use to tailgate ain't no big deal.........

Last edited:
We are not Clemson or Nebraska so it's offered at bargain prices here.

Some people still complain anyway of course.

You also need to determine how close to the stadium the primo lots are, some parking lots are really not that close to the stadium, like we have at RU.

Reactions: rutgersal
This fanbase pays peanuts for tickets and parking compared to most peer schools. All while having acres of tailgating access a short walk from the stadium.

Yes, the product has been piss poor for 3 years but I don't think people realize how good we have it relative to everyone else and of course those same people will be the first ones to complain when we start having success and donation levels increase to mirror our peers.

You also need to determine how close to the stadium the primo lots are, some parking lots are really not that close to the stadium, like we have at RU.
This is a huge deal. Most people don’t realize how well they have it in regards to parking at Rutgers. Most college stadiums simply lack parking close by so what parking there is goes at a much higher premium.

This fanbase pays peanuts for tickets and parking compared to most peer schools. All while having acres of tailgating access a short walk from the stadium.

Yes, the product has been piss poor for 3 years but I don't think people realize how good we have it relative to everyone else and of course those same people will be the first ones to complain when we start having success and donation levels increase to mirror our peers.
All true.

The only change I’d like too see is an expansion/revamping of the Knightangale Shuttle.

I will say Rutgers has improved the RAC Shuttle over the years to a point where it’s almost clockwork.

Want to see/hear the same for the Knightangale going forward.

Reactions: RocktheRac
All true.

The only change I’d like too see is an expansion/revamping of the Knightangale Shuttle.

I will say Rutgers has improved the RAC Shuttle over the years to a point where it’s almost clockwork.

Want to see/hear the same for the Knightangale going forward.
I think that service is a lost cause. Should've been fixed when the new company took over running it. Sure seems like RU doesn't care except to be able to say they provide a service for football fans.

Maybe, unless you've been going forever. Parking was $2, cash at the top of the hill and any donations were elective. Now it's $2,500 + 120 some priority points for Scarlet. It might be cheaper than our peers, but not sure if it's relative. Yes, times have changed, but it's still a lot of money out of pocket.

I think that service is a lost cause. Should've been fixed when the new company took over running it. Sure seems like RU doesn't care except to be able to say they provide a service for football fans.
What new company?

I thought it was an in-house thing run by Rutgers Athletics.

NU hasn't released the new stuff for parking yet other than to ask if you want yours back.

Donation levels can/could be as little as $750 annually to park(a long ways away) but it never get's down that far because there are way fewer parking spots than there are donors that want them. You also have to have a lot of points with your donation to get one. If you want to park right by the stadium the donation level is very high($50,000 annually and up) plus have to have done it for a while to get enough points.
To get just a good spot then the donation level drops a lot to around $5000 annually but the points required is still very large.

A lot of the stuff West of the stadium is private ownership lots and they sell strictly for money and not points included. The good spots are around $500 a game and require buying the season. They get down to around $100 per game and must buy the season. A large private lot is being taken out of the equation this year because of a make over. That will increase the prices a lot for private ones. I should add these are spots you can tailgate at just like the NU ones.

It cost to damn much I know that.

Just curious here for anyone who wants to do the research:

Had a discussion at work about how much people are willing to pay for parking spaces. I noticed that for a single parking spot in our highest tier parking lot Scarlet, you have to donate $2,500 a year minimum. Meanwhile at Clemson, their highest tier lot requires a $25,000 minimum.

So just curious, what do the donation levels for football parking look like for multiple programs as a comparison? We’ll see why schools dump so much money into football due to donations just for a parking spot.

Hard to compare price without comparing supply of spots plus demand for the event.

What new company?

I thought it was an in-house thing run by Rutgers Athletics.
You might be right, but they got rid of the old group and brought in
somebody else and although the people seem very courteous, not much has changed. My wife and I use them every game.
Remember when Hobbs was asking for suggestions about making the game day experience more enjoyable (maybe 2016) and this board came up with a list of things that were feasible. That was one of them that the committee presented to Hobbs and they said it's being addressed.
I guess they feel they corrected the problem. For fans that don't require the service, it's a non issue.

Agreed re costs we have it relatively good but there is relatively little demand for tickets/season tickets ( thus relatively lesser demand for parking) due to an (overly) poor product on the field. Unlike a lot of "big name" schools we're not located in the sticks-there's plenty of other entertainment available besides Rutgers football. Unless Rutgers wins and is bowl caliber for a min several years (and likely then some) higher ticket and parking fees will only serve to drive people away besides the "wealthy" diehard 25,000 - 35,000 base we have. Too many people are used to paying way under cost for tickets (even assuming they desire to attend all home games) and either purchasing single parking passes

Reactions: oldbastard
Also the cost of living is much higher in NJ than 95%+ these "hick towns".

Don't forget in this day and age one can sit home and watch any game on a large screen TV in high definition for a few hundred bucks for a "lifetime" setup. During black Friday and pretty much everyday there were/are 55-65 inch hi def tvs for as low as $250, smart 32 inch tvs for $100-$150 and even smart tvs starting at $100 (there are nonsmart Samsung 32 inch TVS- brand -often the top brand-for $150 normal price at Walmart.

With cable PRCES HIGH fans can take that same ticket/parking money, purchase both cable (ie B1G Network) and packages that include all league games-and watch HD quality or above games on largescreen without leaving the couch. Taking a family of 4 to a Rutgers game would cost $100-$150 minimum-and that's with "discounts" and cost cutting.

Based on what I saw at places like Arkansas and Nebraska... when alumni are flying-in their private jets the night before a game, to stay at their on-campus condos which they use only 6 nights a year, the thought of paying $25K for a good spot to park your $1million RV that you only use to tailgate ain't no big deal.........

Of their 90,000 season ticket holders how many Nebraska supporters are paying $25k in donations to park their RV ? Maybe 100........

We need to focus on developing a fan base and getting all to make donations . Build from there.

Of their 90,000 season ticket holders how many Nebraska supporters are paying $25k in donations to park their RV ? Maybe 100........

We need to focus on developing a fan base and getting all to make donations . Build from there.

NU’s RV parking is so minimal that it doesn’t cost much more than pay lots every weekend. NU folks just don’t do the RV thing.

In any other state, Johnson Park would be handed over to the State U for gameday use. Further more, those telephone poles along River Road would be long gone.. making the stadium look better from that road. That area of Johnson Park near the South entrance would be a real garden spot.. fans would be walking down from the west and north lots would have to visit there to take it all in before the first game.

In any other state, Johnson Park would be handed over to the State U for gameday use. Further more, those telephone poles along River Road would be long gone.. making the stadium look better from that road. That area of Johnson Park near the South entrance would be a real garden spot.. fans would be walking down from the west and north lots would have to visit there to take it all in before the first game.

I sent an email to the Middlesex County Parks Director last year on this fiasco and he blamed the whole thing on Rutgers. He couldn’t care less about the parking needs of any RU football fans. Unbelievable the Political BS these hacks play with the residents of New Jersey.

I sent an email to the Middlesex County Parks Director last year on this fiasco and he blamed the whole thing on Rutgers. He couldn’t care less about the parking needs of any RU football fans. Unbelievable the Political BS these hacks play with the residents of New Jersey.
iirc.. Rutgers was paying Middlesex Parks just to open lots for fans. When they wanted to revisit pricing of this, MCP cut them off. In other words.. parking should be a money maker for Rutgers.. not an expense. Also, iirc, Rutgers pays all kinds of money for law enforcement at games. You just know that when the Big Ten money shows up that there will be increased demands. I have no idea what is paid and what is appropriate.. but I'd love to see the details somewhere.

iirc.. Rutgers was paying Middlesex Parks just to open lots for fans. When they wanted to revisit pricing of this, MCP cut them off. In other words.. parking should be a money maker for Rutgers.. not an expense. Also, iirc, Rutgers pays all kinds of money for law enforcement at games. You just know that when the Big Ten money shows up that there will be increased demands. I have no idea what is paid and what is appropriate.. but I'd love to see the details somewhere.

This. The Middlesex County Official was very flipped it about the whole situation. Someone in Trenton or BOG should get involved and tell them to cut the BS.

This. The Middlesex County Official was very flipped it about the whole situation. Someone in Trenton or BOG should get involved and tell them to cut the BS.
You know how Piscataway used eminent domain to seize the Hand farm down Metlars Lane (I think that's the name)... rather than allow them to develop it as they saw fit as most of the farms had done?

Perhaps Rutgers can pair with Devco to use eminent domain to seize land from the county.. like that land outside the stadium. It has gone unimproved in a long long time... other than to chop down those white oaks that used to line River Road.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT