ADVERTISEMENT

Ticket prices the same for football, but required donation for the lots is up

Playing devils advocate...What if we started building a consistent winner? Getting to Rose Bowls, etc and the sacrifice was different parking. Would that segment of the fan base leave and never return, b/c parking is different even though fb is successful?
C’mon now. Not just 1 Rose Bowl but plural. JFC.

I don't think it is actually entitlement. You walk through the blue and yellow lots on any game day, even for the games against boring teams like Wagner--you will find that a majority of the fans in those lots have had season tickets for 20, 30 or more years. They have had an ownership stake in Rutgers football through a LOT of very bad years of football and still continue to buy season tickets and parking passes. Maybe there is a sense of entitlement on the part of Rutgers Athletics kicking these long time loyal fans to the curb when they perhaps should be getting some sort of long time loyalty accommodation or discount.
While I agree with your point in principle, if Rutgers sees that season ticket holders are offloading a second pass for more than their cost very frequently, don't you think Rutgers would want their cut? I think they did people a service for a long time keeping 2 passes the same price as one for years. Does it suck we have to pay more? Absolutely. I enjoyed my first year in scarlet this year. Probably back to green lot for me next year. But it seems logical that 2 passes should be more than 1, especially if people are often offloading them for a nice profit on secondary market.

While I agree with your point in principle, if Rutgers sees that season ticket holders are offloading a second pass for more than their cost very frequently, don't you think Rutgers would want their cut? I think they did people a service for a long time keeping 2 passes the same price as one for years. Does it suck we have to pay more? Absolutely. I enjoyed my first year in scarlet this year. Probably back to green lot for me next year. But it seems logical that 2 passes should be more than 1, especially if people are often offloading them for a nice profit on secondary market.
Maybe I'm not following the multiple pass thing, and perhaps if it is split between multiple groups of people it is not a huge ask by Athletics. We are not part of a large group. We park in Yellow, and wander amongst different tailgates. So that may be a fair point. There is also the known fact that Athletics needs to raise money to build the fieldhouse and apparently the money is already donated to build the lacrosse field. I'm not a lacrosse fan, but something that was said on a podcast is that RU will have the nicest lacrosse stadium in the B1G--but is that really needed? What is wrong with the existing lacrosse field? I have no idea.

But on one hand Rutgers is digging for more money, and on the other, the people they are digging more money out of in the Yellow and Blue lots are going to be displaced in a few years. Someone has mentioned (and it's a fair point) that Rutgers' planning for these facilities, including the Welcome Center, has been rather haphazard and ham-handed. It has been. But Rutgers is always gonna Rutgers. Can say from the standpoint of a donor who has given to athletics and academics, Rutgers has a strange way of turning off donors by doing ham-handed things.

The Yellow Lot is going to be an issue that may break the backs and spirit of a lot of fans. While some may say Rutgers can do what they want because it's their land, and that may be true, but long term and aging fans have developed a somewhat fair sense of entitlement to "their" lots when they have been coming to games for 20, 30 or more years. Yeah, boo hoo for them some will say. But a fair question exists as to why the fieldhouse could not have been built in the Brown lot and old Tennis Courts with a parking deck underneath. Rutgers can say they don't have to explain anything to anybody and do what they want, but in the world of customer service that will lead to customer loyalty issues. Athletics is going through similar issues with the renovation of the Jersey Mikes Arena. Growing pains are called pains for a reason. Hopefully a balance can be struck where too many fans to not get jaded and throw in the towel.

As for calling RU fans spoiled because they have it so good with parking, that may be true. But that is the way it has been for a long time, and forcing fans out of those lots and telling them they have to take the bus and walk 1/2 mile or more further may be a deal breaker. For us, it probably won't be an issue. Walking is not a problem for us, and we wander around quite a bit pre-game. But we are not everyone else. Not everybody is going to be satisfied, but hopefully they will find a way to sell it to keep most people satisfied. Not an easy job.

Maybe I'm not following the multiple pass thing, and perhaps if it is split between multiple groups of people it is not a huge ask by Athletics. We are not part of a large group. We park in Yellow, and wander amongst different tailgates. So that may be a fair point. There is also the known fact that Athletics needs to raise money to build the fieldhouse and apparently the money is already donated to build the lacrosse field. I'm not a lacrosse fan, but something that was said on a podcast is that RU will have the nicest lacrosse stadium in the B1G--but is that really needed? What is wrong with the existing lacrosse field? I have no idea.

But on one hand Rutgers is digging for more money, and on the other, the people they are digging more money out of in the Yellow and Blue lots are going to be displaced in a few years. Someone has mentioned (and it's a fair point) that Rutgers' planning for these facilities, including the Welcome Center, has been rather haphazard and ham-handed. It has been. But Rutgers is always gonna Rutgers. Can say from the standpoint of a donor who has given to athletics and academics, Rutgers has a strange way of turning off donors by doing ham-handed things.

The Yellow Lot is going to be an issue that may break the backs and spirit of a lot of fans. While some may say Rutgers can do what they want because it's their land, and that may be true, but long term and aging fans have developed a somewhat fair sense of entitlement to "their" lots when they have been coming to games for 20, 30 or more years. Yeah, boo hoo for them some will say. But a fair question exists as to why the fieldhouse could not have been built in the Brown lot and old Tennis Courts with a parking deck underneath. Rutgers can say they don't have to explain anything to anybody and do what they want, but in the world of customer service that will lead to customer loyalty issues. Athletics is going through similar issues with the renovation of the Jersey Mikes Arena. Growing pains are called pains for a reason. Hopefully a balance can be struck where too many fans to not get jaded and throw in the towel.

As for calling RU fans spoiled because they have it so good with parking, that may be true. But that is the way it has been for a long time, and forcing fans out of those lots and telling them they have to take the bus and walk 1/2 mile or more further may be a deal breaker. For us, it probably won't be an issue. Walking is not a problem for us, and we wander around quite a bit pre-game. But we are not everyone else. Not everybody is going to be satisfied, but hopefully they will find a way to sell it to keep most people satisfied. Not an easy job.
There are issues with the soil where the tennis courts are but they should be able to pave over it to expand the brown lot. I do agree with your point about yellow lot though. They need to include some sort of parking component in the design IMO so even if the space is lost for tailgating they can still park cars there (like APC deck).

Reactions: Knight Shift
I don't think it is actually entitlement. You walk through the blue and yellow lots on any game day, even for the games against boring teams like Wagner--you will find that a majority of the fans in those lots have had season tickets for 20, 30 or more years. They have had an ownership stake in Rutgers football through a LOT of very bad years of football and still continue to buy season tickets and parking passes. Maybe there is a sense of entitlement on the part of Rutgers Athletics kicking these long time loyal fans to the curb when they perhaps should be getting some sort of long time loyalty accommodation or discount.
Don’t understand the argument here. Yes, loyal fans stuck it out during bad years. They got good seats and parking at very reasonable prices. Now the team is better those good seats and parking are more expensive. But, there are seats and parking at all price levels.

There are issues with the soil where the tennis courts are but they should be able to pave over it to expand the brown lot. I do agree with your point about yellow lot though. They need to include some sort of parking component in the design IMO so even if the space is lost for tailgating they can still park cars there (like APC deck).
Was not aware of soil issues with the old tennis court., and perhaps expansion of the Brown lot would help with additional parking. In one thread, a picture of the Texas facility was posted with parking under the field house. That may or may not be practical in the Yellow Lot. I saw early renderings on a video screen this summer at an event , but we were not close to the video screen and the renderings were not that clear.

Wondering, however, looking at the map view:
1. Visitor Center should have never been put there, but it's there now
2. Do they need 3 outdoor practice fields plus a fieldhouse field (of course they do!)
3. Does the entire Yellow Lot need to be taken out- for example, there is a parking lot next to the practice field. With extra parking in the old Tennis Courts, Brown Lot, can the third field on field be moved South and the fieldhouse placed mostly where the third field on right is and in the parking lot?
4. If not, would Rutgers allow/entertain parking in the University Park and Recreation Complex across from the Werblin Center?

ocm7XgS.png

Don’t understand the argument here. Yes, loyal fans stuck it out during bad years. They got good seats and parking at very reasonable prices. Now the team is better those good seats and parking are more expensive. But, there are seats and parking at all price levels.
Everything is not an "argument." This isn't the EV thread, pal! 😉
It's a fair point.
Seriously, how much "better" is the team to warrant the Scarlet Lot increase? One 6-6 season and beating a depleted Miami is a far cry from the Ash years, but what the heck is going to happen should they go 8-4, 9-3 or dare I say 10-2? Raise prices through the roof?
Maybe I'm a hopeless romantic and loyalist. In some businesses, you take care of your long term customers, and not push them further towards the curb. Especially those that hung in while your product sucked eggs.

Was not aware of soil issues with the old tennis court., and perhaps expansion of the Brown lot would help with additional parking. In one thread, a picture of the Texas facility was posted with parking under the field house. That may or may not be practical in the Yellow Lot. I saw early renderings on a video screen this summer at an event , but we were not close to the video screen and the renderings were not that clear.

2. Do they need 3 outdoor practice fields plus a fieldhouse field (of course they do!)
3. Does the entire Yellow Lot need to be taken out- for example, there is a parking lot next to the practice field. With extra parking in the old Tennis Courts, Brown Lot, can the third field on field be moved South and the fieldhouse placed mostly where the third field on right is and in the parking lot?
4. If not, would Rutgers allow/entertain parking in the University Park and Recreation Complex across from the Werblin Center?

ocm7XgS.png
Don't have answers to all your questions but the tennis courts have been moved to Livingston over by the Livingston Rec Center. They are available for both the Rutgers tennis team and regular students to use. The existing ones on Busch will be paved over.

Everything is not an "argument." This isn't the EV thread, pal! 😉
It's a fair point.
Seriously, how much "better" is the team to warrant the Scarlet Lot increase? One 6-6 season and beating a depleted Miami is a far cry from the Ash years, but what the heck is going to happen should they go 8-4, 9-3 or dare I say 10-2? Raise prices through the roof?
Maybe I'm a hopeless romantic and loyalist. In some businesses, you take care of your long term customers, and not push them further towards the curb. Especially those that hung in while your product sucked eggs.
It’s an argument. It’s supply and demand. Fans determine how much better the team is. If RU over plays their hand, you will see more empty parking spaces. But RU has enough data managers to run models predicting that. Or, they can just ask AI.

It’s an argument. It’s supply and demand. Fans determine how much better the team is. If RU over plays their hand, you will see more empty parking spaces. But RU has enough data managers to run models predicting that. Or, they can just ask AI.
It's not an argument. You obviously have not taken the course. And this is not an argument. It's abuse.

RU having enough data managers to run models? 🤣

Put it right on top of the college Ave parking deck. Nice view and plenty of parking. 😁
It’s not Lego. You can’t just add on top. The foundation wasn’t design to hold the additional weight. Would think cost would be a huge issue. Hard to justify if it’s all to offer cheaper parking for football.

We still hae one of the best parking situations in the Big Ten and in many cases the nation even with the proposed development. Once again, we are a fanbase who wants us to be a better team but are in fear of them being too good that they take away what has been there for years.

Without facilities, we can't have the first part, which is a competitive program. So..adapt or die. We all can get some extra steps in from parking if it means a better overall program.

It’s not Lego. You can’t just add on top. The foundation wasn’t design to hold the additional weight. Would think cost would be a huge issue. Hard to justify if it’s all to offer cheaper parking for football.
You asked where, not how. (but don't forget parking) Now it's up to RU engineering to get it done. Deff could be done with some structural upgrades. Bottom line the center doesn't fit nor make sense where it is and there are a boatload of other options. Of course we know it wouldn't be cheap in NJ, but it's the type of out of box thinking our collective RU grads should be exploring before we just say to long term yellow lot fans... ehh??? F**k 'em.... they'll figure something else out. If that center is moved, the move will certainly outlast my lifetime and would have a direct effect on my ability to continue to enjoy the yellow lot on game days.

Last edited:
You asked where, not how. (but don't forget parking) Now it's up to RU engineering to get it done. Deff could be done with some structural upgrades. Bottom line the center doesn't fit nor make sense where it is and there are a boatload of other options. Of course we know it wouldn't be cheap in NJ, but it's the type of out of box thinking our collective RU grads should be exploring before we just say to long term yellow lot fans... ehh??? F**k 'em.... they'll figure something else out. If that center is moved, the move will certainly outlast my lifetime and would have a direct effect on my ability to continue to enjoy the yellow lot on game days.
Don't think the welcome center will be moved (until it's replaced) - but I fully agree with your line of thought, and can still be accomplished with the Lacrosse stadium and football practice facility.

Reactions: lakejj

ocm7XgS.png
#3 is the White Lot area and I would imagine more spots would or could be added. The extra spots for Brown (from the old tennis courts) are already being used.

#4 was suggested many years ago but we were told it was a nonstarter.

But it looks like things have changed. Especially if the Golf Course is truly being considered an option. The only problem is there a little bit of a grade issue for the Intramural Field (by the baseball diamond) and the spot in front of Werblin, as someone suggested earlier.

#3 is the White Lot area and I would imagine more spots would or could be added. The extra spots for Brown (from the old tennis courts) are already being used.

But it looks like things have changed. Especially if the Golf Course is truly being considered an option. The only problem is there a little bit of a grade issue for the Intramural Field (by the baseball diamond) and the spot in front of Werblin, as someone suggested earlier
the front of werblin could be used for game day picnic, but the grading is terrible and the ingress/egress would cause a bottle neck..i really don't have a problem with the welcome center if its used properly (ie is it open during game days? ,..

the most logical and long term solutions IMO that would help ease travel flow and parking (leaving football and lacrosse facilities where planned)
1- walking bridge over river road to johnson park...it would enable vehicle traffic along river road instead of constant parking lot for people crossing, it may also ease the flow over landing bridge with a constant uninterrupted walkway
2. Parking deck in back of yellow lot (near werblin) that could be utilized by students during the day along with lacrosse/soccer when available
3. Parking garage on purple or silver that would be utilized weekday for students...you could also incorporate the parking with a new study hall.
4. Parking garage along 18 that could be utilized as commuter park and ride during week, that is close to stadium...

I'm sure there are significant cost constraints on the athletics building budget, so a wish list of putting the football facility next to hale center where tennis courts are located, put the lacrosse and soccer fields back to back and leaving yellow and most of blue intact is off the table....,

Last edited:
the front of werblin could be used for game day picnic, but the grading is terrible and the ingress/egress would cause a bottle neck..i really don't have a problem with the welcome center if its used properly (ie is it open during game days? ,..

the most logical and long term solutions IMO that would help ease travel flow and parking (leaving football and lacrosse facilities where planned)
1- walking bridge over river road to johnson park...it would enable vehicle traffic along river road instead of constant parking lot for people crossing, it may also ease the flow over landing bridge with a constant uninterrupted walkway
2. Parking deck in back of yellow lot (near werblin) that could be utilized by students during the day along with lacrosse/soccer when available
3. Parking garage on purple or silvver that would be utilized weekday for students.
4. Parking garage along 18 that could be utilized as commuter park and ride during week, that is close to stadium .
I mentioned the grade issue about that spot in another thread too.

1. We’ve talked about the bridge thing as well. Had a few ideas that looked good. But since Johnson Park isn’t ours and the weather is something we can’t control not sure if it ever would happen.

The fact that this thread is 10 pages is ridiculous. Haven't seen anyone complaining on any other platform. The group here is a bunch of whiners over a few bucks.
The thread is over 10 pages because, like many threads, it evolves
You start with the topic that parking prices are up, and of course you get complaining or agreeing with that

Then it becomes about the parking itself

Lots being lost because of construction,
Where to put those fans displaced by
that construction etc
As a last note, the parking increase
is not a small amount
In my case it went up 50 percent

The moral of this thread is Rutgers athletics has botched the Busch campus.

1. Facilities master plan announced four years ago has not been produced. Pat repeatedly lies when or even if consultant will do its work.
2. Football parking crowded out. Visitors center, also called welcome center, stupidly built in Busch parking lot when should be on College Ave.
3. Multi-sport indoor practice facility announced in 2019 has not broken ground.
4. Football parking pass people unconvinced they should pay market rate for their Piscataway real estate.
5. Lacrosse stadium - conflict between lacrosse donors and football parkers.
6. Expropriating golf course for football parkers is acceptable.

Conclusion - A site plan situation needs to be solved, Pat cannot do it.

But it looks like things have changed. Especially if the Golf Course is truly being considered an option. The only problem is there a little bit of a grade issue for the Intramural Field (by the baseball diamond) and the spot in front of Werblin, as someone suggested earlier.
There is an opportunity for thousands of cars to be parked along the Golf Course along the side of Holes #4, #5,#6, #7 with access from Golf Links Ave and also Fitch Rd. This could be an option as other parking structures are being planned and built.

ocm7XgS.png
Agree with #2. Do we really need three outdoor practice fields? Build the new facility on top of one of the outer fields. There are NFL teams and blue chip programs that don't have three outdoor practice fields in addition to their indoor facility. Two should be sufficient.

There is an opportunity for thousands of cars to be parked along the Golf Course along the side of Holes #4, #5,#6, #7 with access from Golf Links Ave and also Fitch Rd. This could be an option as other parking structures are being planned and built.
Agree.

The argument against is the same as the weather one for Johnson Park.

But that never seems to close the fenced in part of Green when the weather is bad?

Agree with #2. Do we really need three outdoor practice fields? Build the new facility on top of one of the outer fields. There are NFL teams and blue chip programs that don't have three outdoor practice fields in addition to their indoor facility. Two should be sufficient.
Game day parking idea - throw open the three outdoor football practice fields to parking.

Last edited:
You are the one confused since they have been parking there for years, the players park on the field turf practice field that is closest to the White lot
That's where the players park since Brown is used for club ticket holders. They do use the fields for parking already.
So the players really need to park near the stadium when they stay in a hotel the night before games?

That's where the players park since Brown is used for club ticket holders. They do use the fields for parking already.

You are the one confused since they have been parking there for years, the players park on the field turf practice field that is closest to the White lot

So the players really need to park near the stadium when they stay in a hotel the night before games?
Well this tells me if the Yellow goes, the Intramural Fields area is in play. All of it.

Or find other options, or pack it in. Many will choose these two options. How many remains to be seen.
space is only at a premium if there is demand. I’m sure RU will find another Ash after GS and everyone can park where ever they want for cheap.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT