ADVERTISEMENT

Pearl

Sure and if we make the final 4 and have some great years it will all be worth it . Think of all the fun and memories that will be made. Father’s can take their sons to ncaa tournament games, watch parties all over nation. It would be awesome.
My Dad took me to the RU Final Four in 76. If Tom Young turned out to be a cheater and the wins were vacated, I would not have quite as fond a recollection.

Oh yeah, "Blue Horseshoe loves Anacott Steel."

Distressing to read some of the comments here from posters whose opinions I usually very much respect. Yes Rutgers has gone too many years without an NCAA appearance. But is it because we haven't joined the cheaters or because we had incompetent institutional leadership that initially rejected Big East conference membership, devalued and starved basketball over football and hired several poor basketball head coaches? Maybe it's my age ( I'm 67) or maybe it's the general state of moral and cultural decline in our country but winning with integrity still means something to me. It shouldn't become a choice between having pride in our university or pride in our basketball team. Why can't we strive for both?

Well said. I'm also surprised/dissapointed at the comments from some of the knowledgeable posters here (I'm also 67). Goes to show you how starved this fan base is for a winning program. Watching the Duke - Mich. St. game yesterday I kept thinking we have a ways to go before we can compete at that level.

My Dad took me to the RU Final Four in 76. If Tom Young turned out to be a cheater and the wins were vacated, I would not have quite as fond a recollection.

Oh yeah, "Blue Horseshoe loves Anacott Steel."

Really ? I am sure many sons would love to go with dad to the final 4. Even if young cheated, those games were still played and memories still made. There were still very enjoyable moments on that trip I am sure.

Distressing to read some of the comments here from posters whose opinions I usually very much respect. Yes Rutgers has gone too many years without an NCAA appearance. But is it because we haven't joined the cheaters or because we had incompetent institutional leadership that initially rejected Big East conference membership, devalued and starved basketball over football and hired several poor basketball head coaches? Maybe it's my age ( I'm 67) or maybe it's the general state of moral and cultural decline in our country but winning with integrity still means something to me. It shouldn't become a choice between having pride in our university or pride in our basketball team. Why can't we strive for both?

We can strive for both . But it’s a dirty game and I think many posters here don’t want to acknowledge that fact. You need to be a little shady or dirty to win. I am not saying buy players cars or strip tease parties . But the line gets crossed in this game, it is just the way it is. That people don’t want to admit this fact is mind boggling.

Reactions: superfan01
We can strive for both . But it’s a dirty game and I think many posters here don’t want to acknowledge that fact. You need to be a little shady or dirty to win. I am not saying buy players cars or strip tease parties . But the line gets crossed in this game, it is just the way it is. That people don’t want to admit this fact is mind boggling.

No one is saying that College sports aren't dirty. There's a difference between acknowledging that cheating happens vs. openly rooting for your team to cheat.

We can strive for both . But it’s a dirty game and I think many posters here don’t want to acknowledge that fact. You need to be a little shady or dirty to win.
There's no such thing as being "a little shady." It's like being a little pregnant. You've already compromised your morals and principles. And then the slippery slope begins especially when you begin to see "winning " results . What then holds you back? nothing.

So Jon, How is that Rutgers Hockey podcast going ? Almost done ? I just dug around my couch and found $2.61. Only $99,999,997.39 cents to go.

So Jon, How is that Rutgers Hockey podcast going ? Almost done ? I just dug around my couch and found $2.61. Only $99,999,997.39 cents to go.
If your comment is meant to imply that Rutgers fans don't financially support Rutgers athletics that may or may not be so. But it doesn't apply to me. I'm fortunate that I can contribute quite generously to Rutgers ..

Son: "Daddy, I cheated on my test and got a good grade."

Plum: "That's ok son, everyone cheats.....a little cheating is fine by me as long as you got a good grade"

Bruce Pearl got in trouble at Tennessee. Not sure if he wasn't winning enough or there were ethical problems. But I remember before one Tennessee game on nation-wide TV, Pat Summitt came out, dressed up as a cheerleader, to show support for Pearl. Means he has to be a decent guy. After Auburn beat NC, he was nearly in tears about Chuma--confirmed it was a serious injury. So he's no Rick Pitino-style sleazebag.
TL

I asked my teenage son how he would feel if Rutgers made a Final Four run by cheating, then a few years later it was discovered we cheated to get there. He was horrified at the suggestion that it would be worth doing. If we can't win cleanly, so be it.

I asked my teenage son how he would feel if Rutgers made a Final Four run by cheating, then a few years later it was discovered we cheated to get there. He was horrified at the suggestion that it would be worth doing. If we can't win cleanly, so be it.

Let’s say that happened . But you and your son went to some tournament games and had some great father-son time together . Once in a lifetime stuff . You met other cool rutgers fans (like plum street ha), and had a boat load of fun, lots of pics and an awesome time with your son. And years later rutgers gets put on probation, that ruins the experience the two of you had ? That just doesn’t seem to make any sense .
These fans at these march madness games are having a hell of a time and making a bunch of memories . Many people dream of having father-son time like that. It doesn’t make it less special years later if an ncaa (who is a corrupt organization in their own right) rule was broken .

Let’s say that happened . But you and your son went to some tournament games and had some great father-son time together . Once in a lifetime stuff . You met other cool rutgers fans (like plum street ha), and had a boat load of fun, lots of pics and an awesome time with your son. And years later rutgers gets put on probation, that ruins the experience the two of you had ? That just doesn’t seem to make any sense .
These fans at these march madness games are having a hell of a time and making a bunch of memories . Many people dream of having father-son time like that. It doesn’t make it less special years later if an ncaa (who is a corrupt organization in their own right) rule was broken .

Again, you (and some others) are openly hoping that RU will cheat. That's different than the situation you lay out here. Would you still be as satisfied with an NCAA bid if you knew RU cheated prior to the tourney? As far as quality time with my kids.....I don't tend to base my relationships or hope's for future memories on things beyond my control. Father/Son time is what you make of it.....and once in a lifetime moments don't have to be constructed by the team I root for having to cheat in order to create them.

Reactions: hoquat63
Again, you (and some others) are openly hoping that RU will cheat. That's different than the situation you lay out here. Would you still be as satisfied with an NCAA bid if you knew RU cheated prior to the tourney? As far as quality time with my kids.....I don't tend to base my relationships or hope's for future memories on things beyond my control. Father/Son time is what you make of it.....and once in a lifetime moments don't have to be constructed by the team I root for having to cheat in order to create them.

I am not openly rooting for the ran the team to cheat . My god man. I just want the team to win and rutgers fans to have some good moments . Get off the high horse. I bet you are loads of fun at a cocktail party .

Cheating has always bothered me. I believe in playing by the rules. That is how I was raised. I am 74 and I coached 40 years of high school track & cross country. I like to think that I have stood for what is right no matter what other teams are doing. I believe in integrity and will until I pass. I want RU to have an honest program that we can be proud of. I want to see us make the NCAA before I pass and trust me I am a die hard RU fan and has been a fan since the 60's when Valvano and Lloyd led RU. If RU ever makes the NCAA I should be among the first group to receive a ticket to our first game in the tournament in years. Guys jumping on the bandwagon over the past few years should realize how long some of us RU fans have been suffering.

I am not openly rooting for the ran the team to cheat . My god man. I just want the team to win and rutgers fans to have some good moments . Get off the high horse. I bet you are loads of fun at a cocktail party .

Try again.

In this business you’re better off having a scandal and winning than having integrity and losing . At this point I would love for rutgers to get to the final 4. It wouldn’t matter how .

Perhaps instead of me getting of the high horse, you can crawl out of the gutter.

Reactions: TRU2RU and hoquat63
You've made it clear that you are totally indifferent on whether or not we cheat as long as we win. EVERY Rutgers fan on this board wants us to win. The only "high horse" the rest of us are riding is the one that says, "Don't cheat." If you want us off that horse (and I don't think it is that high of a horse), then you are effectively rooting for us to cheat.

I'm proud of my son feeling that winning by cheating really isn't a worthy objective. If that means we never win the NCAA tournament or football titles, so be it.

Sure and if we make the final 4 and have some great years it will all be worth it . Think of all the fun and memories that will be made. Father’s can take their sons to ncaa tournament games, watch parties all over nation. It would be awesome.
There would be awesome memories that even the inevitable vacating of the Final Four appearances and the eventual Death Penalty punishment by the NCAA could not erase.

Not all programs pay or bribe. But they aren’t all 100 percent clean either.
In this business you’re better off having a scandal and winning than having integrity and losing .
At this point I would love for rutgers to get to the final 4. It wouldn’t matter how .

Maybe use some common sense? Paying a players family or getting a parent a job from time to time is ok. Scandals like a Baylor or penn state are not ok.

Very happy to see you showing your true colors. The Dum Street School of Ethics -- just "use some common sense" to know when it is okay to cheat and when it isn't. Brilliant.

Its so excellent to see the true views of the people who are the most vocal critics of the University. Because really, its all about you...you want the good experience of a few wins, and who cares what that does to the school and the individuals who get caught up in it.

Reactions: TRU2RU and hoquat63
Very happy to see you showing your true colors. The Dum Street School of Ethics -- just "use some common sense" to know when it is okay to cheat and when it isn't. Brilliant.

Its so excellent to see the true views of the people who are the most vocal critics of the University. Because really, its all about you...you want the good experience of a few wins, and who cares what that does to the school and the individuals who get caught up in it.

Ummm...that’s not what I said . And who the hell ever gets the death penalty ?
Will you be watching the final 4 tonight ?

Ummm...that’s not what I said . And who the hell ever gets the death penalty ?
Will you be watching the final 4 tonight ?

Say what? Those are direct quotes from you. Its very clear what you are saying....although I realize you are now trying to walk it back.

Son: "Daddy, I cheated on my test and got a good grade."

Plum: "That's ok son, everyone cheats.....a little cheating is fine by me as long as you got a good grade"

You got it!

Solid moral compass you've got. You make up your own mind about whether something is ethical based on the outcomes. The better the outcome, the more cheating is allowed.

And yes, I will be watching the final 4. Why do you ask?

Reactions: hoquat63 and TRU2RU
Say what? Those are direct quotes from you. Its very clear what you are saying....although I realize you are now trying to walk it back.

All I want us to do is win. You root for your team to win like any good rutgers fan would.

Solid moral compass you've got. You make up your own mind about whether something is ethical based on the outcomes. The better the outcome, the more cheating is allowed.

And yes, I will be watching the final 4. Why do you ask?

Just wondering, because it’s a dirty business. I hope one day you will be watching rutgers in the final 4

Pearl being "no different" than the rest is absurd, he's one of the least compliant coaches in the country. But if we're being honest with ourselves, there are arguments to be made that big picture, Pearl is doing right by "cheating." But at that, he's not doing it for moral reasons, he's doing it so he can get a leg up on people following the rules and people with less booster cash to burn. So I have no particular love for the guy, especially as a fan of a program that doesn't have access to enough money to cheat like that if it wanted to. If he wins this weekend, fine, he wouldn't be the first guy to win by flouting rules, wouldn't be the last. There is nothing about college basketball that is fair. Watch college for passion on the part of both fans and players, and a lower level of play that some consider more interesting. If you're that concerned with fairness, maybe stick to the NBA.

Don’t we have an open assistant coach position?

Go the SH/Williard “cheating” route and just give it away to the handler of an elite recruit.

It’s worked out great for them since they “cheated” for their stud 2014 class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT