ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State vs Michigan State 2023

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
To be played @ Ford Field Detroit

Looks like they expected low attendance on Black Friday

“The decision to move a home game out of Spartan Stadium was given careful consideration, as we understand the impact it will have on some fans. As a community partner, we recognize home football brings benefits to the entire Mid-Michigan area. The fact that this game falls on a holiday weekend Friday increased our willingness make the move. I believe our season ticket holders still have a strong collection of home games highlighted by Michigan and a premier non-conference game against Washington, with a total of six home games just as we had in 2021."

Probably more MSU students in the Detroit area than Lansing that day.

Reactions: 4382
Posted this in the B10 tv deal thread, it’s part of placating NBC for night time games in November.

Reactions: Leonard23
The capacity of Ford Field is less than Spartan Stadium.

Like 10K less.

So in theory some Michigan State fans could be shut out.

Like 10K less.

In theory, but my guess is there will be fewer Penn St. fans travelling that day than would normally.

Yes on the date and time but not location
The location was in the tweets I posted. No problem with the separate thread, doesn't bother me. Just adding info that it was part of placating NBC and the somewhat unfinished B10 tv deal.

Was the location decided by NBC
I don't know but it's intimated by some media they didn't want to play outdoors so beats me. I don't know if NBC was involved with the site.

Frankly what are they going to do when the CFP expands? The option is there to move games indoors to regional sites but would they really do that if a game happens to fall in the evening? Would they mess up a great on campus atmosphere? I think OSU at one time said no but then later changed and Gene Smith said on campus for the CFP is a good idea. If you can play those on campus what's the big deal about a Novemeber night game?

I don't know but it's intimated by some media they didn't want to play outdoors so beats me. I don't know if NBC was involved with the site.

Frankly what are they going to do when the CFP expands? The option is there to move games indoors to regional sites but would they really do that if a game happens to fall in the evening? Would they mess up a great on campus atmosphere? I think OSU at one time said no but then later changed and Gene Smith said on campus for the CFP is a good idea. If you can play those on campus what's the big deal about a Novemeber night game?

All I’m saying is I’m sure that NBC decided the date and time but would be shocked if they or the conference made them give up a home game to play on a neutral field

All I’m saying is I’m sure that NBC decided the date and time but would be shocked if they or the conference made them give up a home game to play on a neutral field
The conference did probably cajole them into it as a sacrifice to maintain the dollars coming from NBC. It's noted in the Fischer tweet but even without that you know they were likely nudged.

OSU will be playing a Nov 11 night game as well one these upcoming years and that's the latest in the season they've played a night game they said. So another "sacrifice" to maintain the dollars.

The conference did probably cajole them into it as a sacrifice to maintain the dollars coming from NBC. It's noted in the Fischer tweet but even without that you know they were likely nudged.

OSU will be playing a Nov 11 night game as well one these upcoming years and that's the latest in the season they've played a night game they said. So another "sacrifice" to maintain the dollars.

Terrible

90 mile drive from East Lansing to Detroit, but many MSU fans live nearby. Playing the game indoors the day after Thanksgiving is a benefit. And MSU STH’s don’t need to buy the game.

Like 10K less.

Yeah, especially if PSU travels which they are known to do. It also depends on how both teams are doing that late in the season.

90 mile drive from East Lansing to Detroit, but many MSU fans live nearby. Playing the game indoors the day after Thanksgiving is a benefit. And MSU STH’s don’t need to buy the game.
A couple of Thanksgiving weekends ago, I think we played a game at MSU in absolutely depressing and miserable weather. I could see myself welcoming the opportunity to move a game indoors at this time of year.

Reactions: Local Shill
Well I guess it is a good thing after all that MetLife is an open air facility.😉

Reactions: Leonard23
Well I guess it is a good thing after all that MetLife is an open air facility.😉
What a missed opportunity that was. And I mean that on behalf of the teams’ owners who were trying to stick taxpayers with the bill for that.

What a missed opportunity that was. And I mean that on behalf of the teams’ owners who were trying to stick taxpayers with the bill for that.
Final Four and Super Bowl rotation, a NYD game (possibly) or a least a well paying one, concerts year round, etc.

Reactions: RUPete
Yeah, especially if PSU travels which they are known to do. It also depends on how both teams are doing that late in the season.

You don't think it being the day after Thanksgiving will negatively impact on how PSU travels?

Reactions: Knightmoves
You don't think it being the day after Thanksgiving will negatively impact on how PSU travels?
May or may not. If they are playing really well and in contention for a league title, it may not. Not exactly a burning issue for me though.

I despise the thanksgiving weekend game. The atmosphere is always terrible with students not being home and many people selling tickets due to traveling and the holidays. Personally I wish they start the season one week earlier and play conference championship games Thanksgiving weekend.

Week 1 8/26 (Weekend Prior to Labor Day)
Week 13 11/18 (Weekend Prior to Thanksgiving Day)
Conference Championship Games 11/25 (Thanksgiving Weekend)
First Round 12/9 On Campus
Second Round 12/15 On Campus
Semi Finals 1/1
Finals 1/13

I despise the thanksgiving weekend game. The atmosphere is always terrible with students not being home and many people selling tickets due to traveling and the holidays. Personally I wish they start the season one week earlier and play conference championship games Thanksgiving weekend.

Week 1 8/26 (Weekend Prior to Labor Day)
Week 13 11/18 (Weekend Prior to Thanksgiving Day)
Conference Championship Games 11/25 (Thanksgiving Weekend)
First Round 12/9 On Campus
Second Round 12/15 On Campus
Semi Finals 1/1
Finals 1/13
I think they want to make week 0 into week 1 but prior scheduling stuff stands in the way for now. Eventually, I think it will happen to give more breathing room for the CFP.

7 Hot Takes On Michigan State Moving Its Home Game Versus Penn State Away From Spartan Stadium To Ford Field In Detroit

Read More:
In Moving PSU Game, MSU Admits It's Not Serious About Football | https://thegame730am.com/michigan-state-penn-state-moved-ford-field-detroit

Michigan usually have their 8 Division state finals on Thanksgiving Day and Thanksgiving Friday. Some pretty good football every year. I’m guessing that the Friday games will be on Saturday now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT