ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State's 3rd transfer out for hoops...all grad transfer eligible

NewJerseyHawk

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2007
Just curious.....are these veteran players passed over by younger, better players?

I'll take him. He is a 6 6 Guard who made 73 three pointers last year. The Rutgers leaders...Johnson and Williams made 43 each.

If another spot opens....I'd add Marial Shayak and let Thiam back him up at SF.

Tricky. How do we get better taking sloppy seconds from a team we are trying to leap frog.

Given the Nigel Johnson transfer how could we not take him.

If Issa Thiam didn't have motivation to work really hard this offseason (I trust he did) there is a 28 MPG spot that is wide open. The player we unrealistically were hoping for is needed.

Tricky. How do we get better taking sloppy seconds from a team we are trying to leap frog.

If Issa Thiam didn't have motivation to work really hard this offseason (I trust he did) there is a 28 MPG spot that is wide open. The player we unrealistically were hoping for is needed.

Because it's all about having open spots in 2018 and 2019 when you have very good local players that the staff have been working hard to get.

I'll take 73 three pointers from a 6'6 guard for 1 year all day right now....even if it is a PSU reserve. He immediately becomes the best 3 point shooter. He averaged 10.4 while only starting 13 of 32 games. Start him all year and he can score 14 ppg.

Last edited:
Reactions: shields
Banks takes a LOT of bad or ill-advised shots....talented, yes, but I don't think the right fit for a culture change needed at PSU or certainly RU.

If you have better culture around the roster/locker room, you can probably add a player like this....Syracuse added Nebraska's Andrew White last year and it may have cost Nebraska a couple of extra wins this past season, but Nebraska was better off without White and Syracuse was not better off adding the selfish White to their roster.....

Reactions: higgins3
He's a SoCal kid, have to think the chances are good that he'll first try to get on with a Pac-12 school and if now a MM program out west somewhere.

Better individual player doesn't translate to better teammate on the court or off or better team..........otherwise, Banks would have fit into PSU's effort to turn around their program this year...Just because Nigel Johnson could generate his own offense (or Banks may have a higher PPG average or ability) doesn't mean he fits the program (especially a rebuilding one, where your younger players get to see a me-first play/attitude)....doesn't mean Nigel is not a good person, but sometimes players only see their value to the team if they contribute to it via scoring/shot attempts vs an extra pass or other items.

It's very subtle, but to get the right pieces in the door and to avoid doing what RU has done for the last 15 years, you are better off with CJ Gettys/Mike Williams kids that do everything for the team vs those that want to score.

Reactions: higgins3
Look. I'm simply saying that Nigel left and we have to replace him. I have no idea with who but Banks wouldn't be terrible.

Banks takes a LOT of bad or ill-advised shots....talented, yes, but I don't think the right fit for a culture change needed at PSU or certainly RU.

If you have better culture around the roster/locker room, you can probably add a player like this....Syracuse added Nebraska's Andrew White last year and it may have cost Nebraska a couple of extra wins this past season, but Nebraska was better off without White and Syracuse was not better off adding the selfish White to their roster.....
This is confusing.

Better individual player doesn't translate to better teammate on the court or off or better team..........otherwise, Banks would have fit into PSU's effort to turn around their program this year...Just because Nigel Johnson could generate his own offense (or Banks may have a higher PPG average or ability) doesn't mean he fits the program (especially a rebuilding one, where your younger players get to see a me-first play/attitude)....doesn't mean Nigel is not a good person, but sometimes players only see their value to the team if they contribute to it via scoring/shot attempts vs an extra pass or other items.

It's very subtle, but to get the right pieces in the door and to avoid doing what RU has done for the last 15 years, you are better off with CJ Gettys/Mike Williams kids that do everything for the team vs those that want to score.
Sports is based on winning which means out scoring the opponent.Nice guy teammates are a added bonus but shouldn't be the top priority which is talent.Rutgers must get out of the abysss of losing seasons and it won't happen with players who lack shooting skills.

Because we have better coaching than Penn State..We got more out of gettys than his former school ever did.

Nigel isn't a shooter, he's an all around player that was asked to score, because there are limited offensive options on this team....that doesn't make him more valuable because of it....rosters are better off in the long run developing other scoring options that will be in the program longer, than leaning on a player that isn't interested in playing team basketball consistently.

RU fans are bent on a notion that you need shooters, which is one of 6 factions of being an effective player....rebounding, defending without requiring help, passing, shooting, being able to take a defender off the dribble and shot blocking/team defense all are as important.

If RU finds a shooter, that is not able to defend, teams isolate that defender and attack him on defense....if the player can't dribble or create his own shot, it requires him to be open to score....if the player doesn't rebound or get 50/50 balls, he gives up extra possessions....if the player isn't interested in focusing on the defensive rotations, opponents find open 3 pointers against that player on defense.

Nigel does half of what is needed at this level to compete....we have far too many players that do or can do less than half on offense....but if you buy-in defensively, you can rebound, commit to defense, commit to knowing the rotations and hustle to get on the floor for that loose ball.....shooting is one aspect of a game and if a team focuses on that one aspect and you cannot do anything else, you wind becoming a net negative for minutes on the court.

As talented as a kid like Bryce Alford is for UCLA (almost 400 career three pointers for his career), against better teams that decided to focus on his strength, he can be slowed down/stopped....he requires an elite roster around him (Lonzo Ball, Holiday, Leaf etc), to allow him to be a 4th or 5th offensive option to take open shots......if he cannot guard his opponent, players that should probably get 20 points against UCLA, go for career high in points (DeAaron Fox rings up 38 points on UCLA, because no one had any interest in slowing him down).

We can have a shooter on this roster, but until the other aspects are bought into, it doesn't really matter as much as people believe it does........I still see people focusing on how we are going to replace CJ Gettys on offense, when teams primarily designed their entire offensive game plans around making him defend pick and rolls and getting him to move his feet defensively (not his strength, obviously)....I don't have the stat, but as many follow up baskets he saved for RU on offensive off of misses, he probably allowed as many fouls or backbreaking "And 1"s" on defense....it wasn't for lack of effort or that he wasn't a great leader or teammate, but he also just wasn't quick enough to keep guards/forwards from getting to the basket, after pick and rolls were run against him.

Basketball is not about just shooting/scoring as a definition of a contributor....The staff is going to find players that check off as many boxes as possible, but that doesn't mean they are going to ignore a shooter...the question is can the shooter buy-in to doing the other things a team needs to improve....Nigel wasn't buying in as much as the staff thought he could and it showed more than it needed to....it's probably best to allow Geo Baker and others to replace him and move the program forward beyond just next seasons results.

I wish Nigel the best, but he wasn't the answer moving forward. I think even as a freshman, Geo Baker will surprise. Nigel was not a major scoring threat. Some games he was terrific but in many games he just disappeared. I also thought of him as a Corey clone. We need shooters, who can play defense and rebound in Pikiell's system. IMO, I believe Nigel had issues buying into Pikiell's overall way of doing things.

Yes it's great to get terrific players that are ready in all phases.

But if a player who's a 1 year deal kid has a strong 3 point stroke and is a little lacking in some other areas IMO this Program needs to take him.

Defense is 50 % coaching and want to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT