ADVERTISEMENT

Philly Husker fan looking for game day info

HuskerFan13

Redshirt
Dec 5, 2005
Husker fan looking for game day info. Haven't seen a Husker game in many years so I am very excited to see them this coming week up in NJ!

Would someone be kind enough to provide some basic game day info about Rutgers football? Parking, food, game day atmosphere, local bars, etc

Thanks!

Parking: Your best bet is to buy a season pass (for this game only) in the aftermarket. Scarlet, Green, Yellow, Blue, and Purple are all generally considered good lots and that is generally considered the order of preference (and price). If you don't want to buy in this fashion, there is game day parking in Johnson Park (across the street from the stadium) and there is game day parking at the RAC. Johnson Park is better IMHO, but you probably need to arrive a few hours early. RAC should have plenty of parking even for late arrivals.

Food: You are much better off tailgating instead of eating at the game. That being said, I have eaten food inside the stadium a couple of times and I have found the premio sausage sandwiches tolerable.

Game Day atmosphere: For big games it can be pretty great. Considering how bad the team is doing this year it will likely be relatively dead and/or on the negative side, unfortunately.

Cannot comment on local bars, though I understand Nw Brunswick has a lot of good restaurants downtown.

I would also add that if you can tailgate, I would definitely recommend it. You can arrive first thing in the morning (they do not enforce the time constraints they list on the website). You can drink at your tailgate, you can have tents/canopies (again, despite what the official rules say). Most visitors seem to be pleasantly surprised how good the tailgating scene is.

Husker fan looking for game day info. Haven't seen a Husker game in many years so I am very excited to see them this coming week up in NJ!

Would someone be kind enough to provide some basic game day info about Rutgers football? Parking, food, game day atmosphere, local bars, etc

Thanks!
Hi, welcome. A lot of folks are busy sulking. Rightfully so, after getting pummeled the last 3 games.
You coming up for the day or staying overnight?
1. Parking--if you do not have a pass, you can park at the RAC and take a bus over to the stadium.
2. There should not be a real high demand for this game, and if you get there early enough (1 p.m.?), you can park across from the stadium at Johnson Park, or at the Greek Church. Options are here:
http://www.scarletknights.com/facilities/parking.html

3. A very easy option if you don't plan on tailgating is to take the train from Princeton Junction or Trenton to the New Brunswick stop.

4. Food is mediocre in the stadium. Hot pretzels are good. You can bring in unopened bottles of water with you.

5. We have been told by many visitors that our game day atmosphere and tail gating is outstanding. We are friendly, and we welcome our visitors, except our neighbors to the west. Best tailgating can be found in the Blue Lot, which you can find in the link above.

6. Bars and Food. Old Queens is our historic Rutgers bar. Most of the bars are on Easton Ave, and there are more on George Street. Stuff Yer Face is worth a stop for a stromboli, and if the weather cooperates, their outside bar is OK.

Hope you have a pleasant visit.

Tailgating is a big thing for Rutgers fans. Our crew (me + 1 or 2, sometimes just me) doesn't get into it very much. We take the train to New Brunswick, hit up one of the restaurants or bars on Easton Ave. Our favorite is probably Evelyn's, especially in nice weather for the back patio/bar. Stuff Yer Face is an institution "for a boli and a beer," and if I'm by myself I might go to White Rose System for a California burger grease bomb or to Giovanelli's for a Fat Filipino, either of which just take me back to those late afterparty grubs. There are other "divey/college" bars and restaurants along that stretch of Easton. If you want something a little more refined walk up George St, there are a few places on that side of downtown New Brunswick including Harvest Moon Brewery, Tumulty's (gotta be one of the oldest pubs in NJ), George Street Ale House, Clydz (martinis), among several others.

There are free shuttle buses from New Brunswick train station and the College Ave Student Center over to the stadium area on the Busch campus in Piscataway. There are lots of tailgating lots on the side of the stadium opposite the shuttle dropoff spot. You'll be surprised how many people will welcome you to "help yourself" to their spreads. I'm sure there will be a Nebraska alumni tailgate somewhere too. There are also several food trucks and food tents set up over there, and a "beer garden" at the Block R party (looking at the map linked above, Block R is in the grove of trees between Yellow and Green lots). Between the Block R party and the stadium is the Scarlet Walk and statue commemorating the first college football game (the actual site of the first game is back on the College Ave campus behind the College Ave Gym).

Hope you enjoy the visit.

I'd recommend finding parking on the ticket exchange sites and tailgating to get the full experience then going out in New Brunswick after the game. There are several good bars and restaurants, with food ranging from greasy good to high end.

If for some reason you don't want to drive you can take the train from Philly to Trenton, then transfer to a NJ transit North East Corridor train and do the reverse going back. The NEC train lets out in New Brunswick and it is about a 20-25 min walk to the stadium or you can get a bus that boards outside of the station. Depending on where you get the train from and when you hit the connections the ride should be about 2 hours.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT