ADVERTISEMENT

Pike's Body Language During Northwestern Postgame Press Conference

zazoo2002

All Conference
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2002
Some folks recently commented about Pike's press conferences - how they're often poor and vague. In his defense, Pike's body language may suggest that he is not entirely comfortable with public speaking, which is a VERY common phobia. A majority of communication is nonverbal - he often shifts in his seat, arms are crossed, head is down, and he makes minimal eye contact. Regardless, he's got RU men's basketball cooking!

Edit: OK...so it sounds like last night's read was innacurate. Fair enough. I admittedly have not seen Pike in many settings - i.e. media day pressers, etc...and can understand how after a 40 minute grind, the staff and team just want to decompress. Go RU!

Last edited:
While there is nothing wrong with people that are uncomfortable w/ public speaking, I have to say that I completely disagree with this take

First of all I have never picked up on what you are describing. Second of all I have seen coach speak in numerous public settings and I have to say he is one of the most comfortable natural people I've ever seen. Also he is funny as hell and could be a stand up comedian

While there is nothing wrong with people that are uncomfortable w/ public speaking, I have to say that I completely disagree with this take

First of all I have never picked up on what you are describing. Second of all I have seen coach speak in numerous public settings and I have to say he is one of the most comfortable natural people I've ever seen. Also he is funny as hell and could be a stand up comedian

I never suggested that there's anything wrong with someone who fears public speaking. To the contrary, Pike seems like he's salt of the earth...just a good person. Maybe it was a poor read based on the press conferences I've seen...last night in particular.

I never suggested that there's anything wrong with someone who fears public speaking. To the contrary, Pike seems like he's salt of the earth...just a good person. Maybe it was a poor read based on the press conferences I've seen...last night in particular.
All good... I know you didnt

Just saying that I read the room a bit differently than you did...that said, differing opinions or what make the world go round ;)

Last night he reminded me of Suriano after his NCAA title … asked a question then answered back something unrelated to the question
Cam Spencer did the same thing.

They kept asking about the final play and our guys kept talking about other stuff. Lol

Maybe he's just bored of answering "what does this win say about your team" and "can you talk about player XYZ and what he means to this team"

I don’t care because he’s a great coach, but Pike‘s press conferences have deteriorated. He says pretty much nothing. Noticeable difference vs other big ten coaches who actually provide some interesting insights.

…and he does give off the look some times that he’s a little annoyed/doesn’t want to be there.

His media day / non-game related press conferences are much different. He’s usually more personable and interesting.

I think it may just be that he’s exhausted after games

They kept asking about the final play and our guys kept talking about other stuff. Lol
What were you expecting? Break down the final play for the whole world to hear all of the options..lol, 😂😂

Last edited:
Reactions: mikeyo
The only thing that stood out to me was that he did not appear to be a fan of the first question that was asked by the WRSU guy.

Reactions: RUnTeX
I did notice in last nights post game interview he was particularly fidgety with his hands… even more so than usual. As I recall, for example, repetitively unscrewing the cap of his bottle only to screw back on. But that is just his normal practice during post-game conferences. I chalk it up to him being emotionally drained and perhaps a bit uncomfortable with answering some of the superficial questions.

Reactions: zazoo2002
I did notice in last nights post game interview he was particularly fidgety with his hands… even more so than usual. As I recall, for example, repetitively unscrewing the cap of his bottle only to screw back on. But that is just his normal practice during post-game conferences. I chalk it up to him being emotionally drained and perhaps a bit uncomfortable with answering some of the superficial questions.

Yes ive seen him do this before...routine he does

I don’t care because he’s a great coach, but Pike‘s press conferences have deteriorated. He says pretty much nothing. Noticeable difference vs other big ten coaches who actually provide some interesting insights.

…and he does give off the look some times that he’s a little annoyed/doesn’t want to be there.

His media day / non-game related press conferences are much different. He’s usually more personable and interesting.

I think it may just be that he’s exhausted after games
You nailed it, I know that feeling very well. I get the same way after a really intense in-person work meeting. The ones where you spend hours prepping for and rehearsing. I’ve always been an excellent public speaker/presenter but it takes a ton out of me. It’s not uncommon for me to step away afterwards for 15 minutes to find somewhere quiet to close my eyes and decompress. If I had to immediately go out and field questions afterwards I would 100% look like Pike. Guy leaves it all on the court and is clearly drained.

I do see something in his mannerisms and body language. I don't think he's uncomfortable, just low key and somewhat disinterested. He's also low key during games too, as we have seen and to the dismay of many here. It's neither good nor bad. It's just how he is.

In contrast, Collins was much more outgoing and engaged in his interview.

Only thing that matters is the team success.

Then why even bring it up if it does not matter....Dumb Post.

Since we are sort of on the topic, I think Schiano loves pressers because of his ego. It gives him the opportunity to talk down to people he believes he’s smarter than, which is everyone. He’s too smug. Like Trump. ‘I’m rich and smart and you aren’t either one’

Last edited:
Reactions: zazoo2002
Pike is hysterical and a stand up comedian at Court Club Meetings.

He has no fear of public speaking .

Pike could have been a Bob Newhart type of comedian if he wanted to !
Hysterical, Phil ? That sounds like a RutgersAl kind of claim.

Since we are sort of on the topic, I think Schiano loves pressers because of his ego. It gives him the opportunity to talk down to people he believes he’s smarter than, which is everyone. He’s too asmug. Like Trump. ‘I’m rich and smart and you aren’t either one’
Yes! Greg is the epitome - for most - of what a football coach looks and sounds like. That's about where it ends lately.

Umm…because perhaps answering the questions asked is something not good for the program …why should we talk about the intericaxies of the play that just worked to the media . Maybe we want to run it again?

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Yea, this thread is a head scratcher. His post game comments are always good.
I thought it was a very entertaining and insightful press conference. Even Collins was interesting
I don’t think Pike likes the zoom portion of these press conferences

100% agreed on both counts...

Reactions: SirScarlet
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT