ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Pikiell signs massive contract extension with Rutgers inc. $15mil buyout

A

anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

Last edited by a moderator:
That will significantly limit the number of schools that could conceivably make a play to poach Pikiell from Rutgers. But Pikiell’s agreement to the structure makes it clear he does not want to take those calls to begin with

Pike doesn't want to leave. He wants to be a Rutgers legend. Always believed this. I love Pike. He loves Rutgers

How does this contract compare to fellow B1G coaches?

Does this contract extension indicate that @madchuck has already signed off on it?

e Gonna be the best thing Rutgers has ever done or the worst. We will see.
This is the case, one way or the other. If it's the worst, it could destroy bball for a long time to come.

My own personal preference in these matters is that the University Presidents, who theoretically control the NCAA, get together to prevent long, massive contracts. I think the maximum contract for all coaches should be two years, with a one-year rollover after each season in which the university wants to continue with the same coach/staff.

In the long run, these kinds of contracts could end up destroying college athletics.

Gonna be the best thing Rutgers has ever done or the worst. We will see.
As long as we are willing to buyout if things go south the contract has very limited downside.

This contract seems to be Pike wanting to commit long term more than anything.

The buyout for other schools is pretty close to irrelevant since he isn’t in demand from a school that could afford the existing buyout but it’s great PR for RU which is why you always extend contracts and worry about it later.

As long as we are willing to buyout if things go south the contract has very limited downside.

This contract seems to be Pike wanting to commit long term more than anything.

The buyout for other schools is pretty close to irrelevant since he isn’t in demand from a school that could afford the existing buyout but it’s great PR for RU which is why you always extend contracts and worry about it later.
The buyout is very relevant for other schools. The fact that's high is the whole point

The buyout is very relevant for other schools. The fact that's high is the whole point
It would be relevant if other schools who could afford the existing buyout figure were interested.

Win win scenario with this deal, doesn’t change much practically but agree with the key takeaway being Pikiell wants to be at RU.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
It would be relevant if other schools who could afford the existing buyout figure were interested.

Win win scenario with this deal, doesn’t change much practically but agree with the key takeaway being Pikiell wants to be at RU.
The relevance is that it's a deterant

I thought the man was dead to rights back in November and December. The man has led the craziest mid-season turnaround I've ever seen. Can't say he hasn't earned it or put in the work.

Reactions: Knightmoves
If we were to fire him in the future would we owe him the buyout or the remaining value of the contract?

If Schiano got 8 years and facility requirements before actually winning a game or coaching a practice, and no other schools were going to pay Schiano 4M per year, this deal is more than fair for 6 years of work at RU.

If you want to act like a big time program, you do it, or you dont.....could we have gotten Schiano for slightly less and probably a year or 2 less on his deal??? Sure, but based on his 2 years of work, he would have been due an extension after this coming season anyway.

For Pike and RU, the buyout decreases by 2M per year for the next few years, so it's not an impossible deal for RU to handle down the road..... And once the media rights deal is announced later this summer, RU will be more than happy to have a winning program to point towards.

Once Football gets cookin', things get really fun around here all-year round....

Metrics play such a huge role in bball today and realistically i really dont see any programs better than us who would want pike due to that. I think this contract is way too much
who would have thought that you would be pissed? Your optimism around the program is truly endearing.

Essentially your perception of rutgers basketball would be the equivalent of you marrying the ugliest women in school and then telling everyone she is a super model because she got some botox.

We won 1 big ten game 7 years ago. we now finished 4th in the conference. We havent gone to the ncaa in 30 years and are now on the cusp of our 3rd straight. Everything Rutgers men's basketball is right now is because of steve pikiell and the kids he decided to recruit. Programs are not turned around overnight. WE are ahead of schedule.

who would have thought that you would be pissed? Your optimism around the program is truly endearing.

Essentially your perception of rutgers basketball would be the equivalent of you marrying the ugliest women in school and then telling everyone she is a super model because she got some botox.

We won 1 big ten game 7 years ago. we now finished 4th in the conference. We havent gone to the ncaa in 30 years and are now on the cusp of our 3rd straight. Everything Rutgers men's basketball is right now is because of steve pikiell and the kids he decided to recruit. Programs are not turned around overnight. WE are ahead of schedule.
I still believe he provides a high floor low ceiling. We can do better. I dont know why thats controversial to say. Most are happy with that. I just think our ceiling is much higher. When you compare any coach to what eddie jordan was theyll look great. Pike is an average coach who is paid as if hes great. And again, I hope to be wrong

I still believe he provides a high floor low ceiling. We can do better. I dont know why thats controversial to say. Most are happy with that. I just think our ceiling is much higher. When you compare any coach to what eddie jordan was theyll look great. Pike is an average coach who is paid as if hes great. And again, I hope to be wrong
Give it up dude. Take the L and move on already.

how are 3 straight tourney's (knock on wood) and currently 4th in the BIG average? not even taking into account what he took over to get us there

what makes you think our ceiling is higher? Our program has never reached the heights we’re at in the modern era.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT