ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Pikiell signs massive contract extension with Rutgers inc. $15mil buyout

I was not a fan but he has earned it. It’s well deserved (assuming we go dancing this year). No one can argue this.

So, if I read this correctly, what he signed was a 4-year contract extension (2026-2030) for a total of $16 million, or $4 million per year (as well as that buyout). But, seeing as that is still 4 years away, if you include his compensation for these next four years, what will he be making - on average, per year - for the next 8 years? It's definitely less than $4 million per year.

I still believe he provides a high floor low ceiling. We can do better. I dont know why thats controversial to say. Most are happy with that. I just think our ceiling is much higher. When you compare any coach to what eddie jordan was theyll look great. Pike is an average coach who is paid as if hes great. And again, I hope to be wrong
You’re already wrong. Again.

I still believe he provides a high floor low ceiling. We can do better. I dont know why thats controversial to say. Most are happy with that. I just think our ceiling is much higher. When you compare any coach to what eddie jordan was theyll look great. Pike is an average coach who is paid as if hes great. And again, I hope to be wrong

Do you feel the same way about brad underwood? Matt Painter? Fran Mccaffery? Juwan Howard? Chris Holtman?

Are these all low ceiling coaches?

Who are the coaches you would take if you could fire pikiell right now?

So, if I read this correctly, what he signed was a 4-year contract extension (2026-2030) for a total of $16 million, or $4 million per year (as well as that buyout). But, seeing as that is still 4 years away, if you include his compensation for these next four years, what will he be making - on average, per year - for the next 8 years? It's definitely less than $4 million per year.
Beantown, the extension does seem surprisingly reasonable if I'm reading the details correctly. Putting aside the buy-out, there just don't seem to be any huge salary increases. This really appears to be a long term commitment on BOTH SIDES, rather than the typical hot coach trying to hold up his current employer. It's really hard to over-state how refreshing this is and how positive it is for RU. Just a great job all around. I'm absolutely thrilled! Go RU!!

These effin refs suck we are getting fouled all over the place and not one call come on Pikell earn your money

Fantastic. He turned this program around, filled the RAC. Just needs more Cliff level talent to make a run. Very good move.

Reactions: trotter
what makes you think our ceiling is higher? Our program has never reached the heights we’re at in the modern era.
Look at what we have to work with now vs prior.
1) facility
2) $$$
3) administration that pays top 20 pay

Im sorry guys but youre so off simply because the bar was buried.

Reactions: miket007
Do you feel the same way about brad underwood? Matt Painter? Fran Mccaffery? Juwan Howard? Chris Holtman?

Are these all low ceiling coaches?

Who are the coaches you would take if you could fire pikiell right now?
Painter, mccaffrey arent realistic obviously but youd take them in a nanosecond. Im not a fan of holtman and he’ll be fired after 2023 or 2024.
With what were willing to pay, $4 mill a year, im just saying we can do alot better than pike

$15,000,000 buy out!!!
You make this one comment, complete with exclamation points. Others explain that NJ.com is reporting that the buyout protects RU, not Pike. You then shift to calling it meaningless because no one wants Pike. From three wonderfully exciting exclamation points to meaningless. You're not the brightest tool in the light bulb shed. No big deal. You misunderstood what the report said. It's OK. We know.

Maybe we should wait for NJ.com or this site to make its OPRA request and get the contract, not a term sheet. Keep your exclamation points at the ready.

You make this one comment, complete with exclamation points. Others explain that NJ.com is reporting that the buyout protects RU, not Pike. You then shift to calling it meaningless because no one wants Pike. From three wonderfully exciting exclamation points to meaningless. You're not the brightest tool in the light bulb shed. No big deal. You misunderstood what the report said. It's OK. We know.

Maybe we should wait for NJ.com or this stie to make its OPRA request and get the contract, not a term sheet. Keep your exclamation points at the ready.
Its relevant but it just wasnt warranted or needed. You dont give out this type of buyout unless

A) youre afraid to lose him and dont think hes replaceable
B) theres schools that would be considered upgrades that want him. There are none

Its relevant but it just wasnt warranted or needed. You dont give out this type of buyout unless

B) theres schools that would be considered upgrades that want him. There are none

id trust a college hoops insider over you that says there were

Reactions: RUPete

LOL.

Keep the bad takes coming! Makes me laugh.

Good job Hobbs for getting this done.

id trust a college hoops insider over you that says there were
This is the thing. The OP tries to come off as some guru with inside knowledge and he doesn’t know sh$t. I believe he admitted in a previous thread that he had some.inside knowledge of the program last year but does not right now. And no one should buy any of his claims that he knows anything about other schools’ coaching searches.

Reactions: mikemarc1

"Give out this type of buyout." Rutgers gave out no buyout, according to this article. I'd thought you'd caught on but no. Maybe this discussion isn't for you. It's ok.

Reactions: RUGiddy777
Is it not true? If not why not?

You keep calling him an average coach. It's a ridiculous statement. We finished fourth in the toughest league in the country and were 8-5 against the NCAA tourney field. There is nothing average about this.

This guy is way above average imo.

Fran McCaffery is better?? LOL. I"ll take Pike over Fran. The only guy in the league who could have pulled off this rebuild would have been a much younger Izzo. The rest of these guys walked into great programs, great facilities, etc.

Now Pike has turned RU into a good program. Let's see what he does with it in the next few years.

Reactions: RUskoolie
Let's go Pike!

My friend works with someone who knows pike well and Calhoun told him before RU - "Go somewhere where they will rename the court after you"

He is hopefully trending that way

I was sincerely worried. Glad Pike is getting what he’s worth here.

Is it not true? If not why not?
I always enjoy reading your comments . They are always interesting if not always right. And when it comes to Pikiell, you're wrong. He's a very fine coach and the job he did this year by turning the season around when seemingly everything was over was nothing short of outstanding. He may have lost some of this board's fanbase ( even I voiced my displeasure ) but he never lost his team ---demonstrating great faith in Pikiell by the players . For the job he did by turning around the disaster program he inherited is nothing short of remarkable. He's made Rutgers basketball not only competitive but relevant again. For that he deserves the extension. Where do I think he needs to step up? Obviously recruiting.

Look at what we have to work with now vs prior.
1) facility
2) $$$
3) administration that pays top 20 pay

Im sorry guys but youre so off simply because the bar was buried.

Dude you have tripled down on your stance on Pike. You can't brag about how great of deal GS is when he signed an 8 year deal at 4M a year with no one wanting him and on the other hand say Pike getting essentially an 8 year deal at 4M a year is over valued and terrible on the back of potentially 3 NCAA appearances.

Pike has absolutely crushed GS in terms of results here. His contract extension is very reasonable and you are way out of touch if you think all the sudden RU doesn't turn back into a coaches grave yard if Pike bolts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT