ADVERTISEMENT

Pinstripe Bowl Practices Begin - Another Miami Player Gone

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
"...In the modern age of bowl games, there is plenty of roster turnover between the transfer portal and NFL Draft departures. At this point, Miami is expected to be without key contributors like Tyler Van Dyke (transfer portal), RB Don Chaney (transfer portal), OL Javion Cohen (NFL Draft), OL Matt Lee (NFL Draft), WR Colbie Young (transfer portal), DT Leonard Taylor (NFL Draft), LB Corey Flagg (transfer portal) DB James Williams (NFL Draft), DB Kamren Kinchens (NFL Draft), amongst others, as they look to take the next step in their careers..."

"...In the modern age of bowl games, there is plenty of roster turnover between the transfer portal and NFL Draft departures. At this point, Miami is expected to be without key contributors like Tyler Van Dyke (transfer portal), RB Don Chaney (transfer portal), OL Javion Cohen (NFL Draft), OL Matt Lee (NFL Draft), WR Colbie Young (transfer portal), DT Leonard Taylor (NFL Draft), LB Corey Flagg (transfer portal) DB James Williams (NFL Draft), DB Kamren Kinchens (NFL Draft), amongst others, as they look to take the next step in their careers..."

Miami defensive coordinator Lance Guidry has worked his magic all year, overcoming early season-ending injuries to starting DEs Akheem Mesidor and Nyjalik Kelly and also seeing Kam Kinchens miss a couple of games. His defense finished the regular season ranked No. 26 in the nation in total defense, No. 10 in rush defense and No. 37 in pass efficiency defense.

But now there’s more magic he’ll have to pull out of his hat. Because he’ll have to figure out a way to stop Rutgers in the Dec. 28 Pinstripe Bowl while also missing DT Leonard Taylor and star safeties Kam Kinchens and James Williams, who have all declared early for the NFL and are planning to opt out of the bowl game.

Reactions: Barry Zito
Any updates on Syracuse recruiting? Enough of this bowl game talk!
I wonder if the people who keep starting Syracuse threads, and participating in them, are the same people who make fun of the RU threads on the Syracuse board? That would be pretty funny.

Reactions: newell138
I am so glad the skipping bowls and such was not around in 09...The game against UCF was one of the funest games Kevin played in. Even after the game he and AD were still messing around in the middle of the field with Kevin trying to do cartwheels.
If that were now- neither he or AD most likely would have played that game.

Bottom line is Rutgers better find a way to win this game against a depleted Miami team. I know Miami does not travel well, but you would have to be a real die hard to make the trip to watch this team play.

I don't see how the bowl system continues with the expanded playoffs and the fact that many of these rosters look like what you would see in a spring game. I guess as long as ESPN needs programming they will continue but it would not surprise me to see the payouts shrink.

As a reminder, Miami is a private school, not a public Florida school. I saw a chart on line that showed 22% of the student population is from NY or NJ.
But if you lived in the area, seeing a football game in a baseball field really isn't that much of a draw (at least it isn't for me).

If the game was at MetLife, and I wasn't working that day, I'd be more likely to go. maybe the Miami alumni feel the same way? And with how depleted a team it will be facing a team that might not move the needle for them, it might be a sparsely attended game.

• Sad
Reactions: Luvscarletknights
Not with our QB
It’s a pound the rock with KM and Sam Brown game
Simpsons Thats The Joke GIF

Miami has the 10th ranked run defense in college football. Running the rock against Miami isn't the slam dunk some think it will be.
Is that before or after half their team opted out of the Bowl Game? Gotta take those numbers with a large, large, grain of salt.

Miami defensive coordinator Lance Guidry has worked his magic all year, overcoming early season-ending injuries to starting DEs Akheem Mesidor and Nyjalik Kelly and also seeing Kam Kinchens miss a couple of games. His defense finished the regular season ranked No. 26 in the nation in total defense, No. 10 in rush defense and No. 37 in pass efficiency defense.

But now there’s more magic he’ll have to pull out of his hat. Because he’ll have to figure out a way to stop Rutgers in the Dec. 28 Pinstripe Bowl while also missing DT Leonard Taylor and star safeties Kam Kinchens and James Williams, who have all declared early for the NFL and are planning to opt out of the bowl game.
That makes it sound as if RU has an offense that DCs have to worry about stopping.

Reactions: Barry Zito
As a reminder, Miami is a private school, not a public Florida school. I saw a chart on line that showed 22% of the student population is from NY or NJ.
One local alum is Alexi Earle, the daughter of the Earle Paving owner (you see their trucks all over the paving jobs around Monmouth County) and his wife and her stepmother, the former Ashley Dupré, who "skinned" former Gov. Spitzer. Can't make that name up!
Alexi is dating Miami Dolphins WR Braxton Burrios, who played for the Jets. Will Rutgers have such star power in the stands?

88c0e8fd-204a-4031-ae33-ec231f1b4a7d-USATSI_21029419.jpg

71049700007-getty-images-1538326359.jpg

Reactions: newell138
Is that before or after half their team opted out of the Bowl Game? Gotta take those numbers with a large, large, grain of salt.
Well- usually a 1st round level Safety is a big part of the defensive game plan in stopping the run- including QB

One local alum is Alexi Earle, the daughter of the Earle Paving owner (you see their trucks all over the paving jobs around Monmouth County) and his wife and her stepmother, the former Ashley Dupré, who "skinned" former Gov. Spitzer. Can't make that name up!
Alexi is dating Miami Dolphins WR Braxton Burrios, who played for the Jets. Will Rutgers have such star power in the stands?

I'm sure Todd Frazier will be there!

Wouldn't. Her "I'm bored" look isn't nearly cultivated enough.

Too bad, really. If I would go out with her, then her bored look wouldn't need any more cultivating. It'd be perfectly natural.

Miami has the 10th ranked run defense in college football. Running the rock against Miami isn't the slam dunk some think it will be.
Ummmmm that was before half the Miami Defense had opted out of the Bowl Game.
These are not playing:
DT Leonard Taylor[AA}
DE Williams
DE Tyler Lauretis
S Kitchen {AA}
S Williams
LB Flagg

Bottom line is Rutgers better find a way to win this game against a depleted Miami team. I know Miami does not travel well, but you would have to be a real die hard to make the trip to watch this team play.

I don't see how the bowl system continues with the expanded playoffs and the fact that many of these rosters look like what you would see in a spring game. I guess as long as ESPN needs programming they will continue but it would not surprise me to see the payouts shrink.
Very few rosters "look like they would look in a spring game." There are typically 105 (85 + 20 PWO's" on your roster without including practice squad walk-on guys. So what if a bunch of starters sit? You still get the guys behind them practice and game reps which are HUGE for the younger guys who are, for the most part, staying in the program.

This really is our worst case scenario. We never do well against a backup quarterback, and now we have to play against almost an entire defense of backup players - we're doomed!

Scarlet Jerry

On Defense we lost our 5 star DT, 5 star Strong Safety and all American Free Safety to the draft
Ummmmm that was before half the Miami Defense had opted out of the Bowl Game.
These are not playing:
DT Leonard Taylor[AA}
DE Williams
DE Tyler Lauretis
S Kitchen {AA}
S Williams
LB Flagg
Honestly the biggest problem is missing the 2 safeties.

But, Greg has shown that he is pretty good at prepping a team for a bowl.
That said, 40 bowl games struggling to find minimally qualified teams who never would have sniffed a bowl years ago is really pretty sad. Only real benefit is the extra practice time.

Reactions: megadrone
Anybody know if Max Melton is participating in the bowl practices or not? We know he declared for the draft. We know he's playing in the Senior Bowl on February 3. But I still haven't seen whether or not he will participate in the Pinstripe Bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT