ADVERTISEMENT

Playing ACC teams?

herdof3

All American
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
Seems like the other B1G teams play ACC teams fairly often but RU does not. I think Cali has mentioned that in the past SU wouldn’t schedule us. What is the reason we don’t play ACC?

IMO, much of the decision has to do with recruiting and the athletes that Rutgers brings in. Seems like RU really tries to assert dominance in NE lacrosse hotbeds by playing local teams to help with exposure. Outside of Syracuse, who I believe elected to not play RU anymore, the other ACC schools are country club players and just not the right fit for gritty RU. No upside for any of these schools to play and lose to RU. Also, can RU really change the mind of a player of who is considering UVA, Duke, UNC?

Ohio State lost to UVa in a neutral site contest in Naples FL earlier this season. Not a bad early season location for teams and their fans to play and catch a neutral site game.

Reactions: mattkamish
Seems like the other B1G teams play ACC teams fairly often but RU does not. I think Cali has mentioned that in the past SU wouldn’t schedule us. What is the reason we don’t play ACC?

For Hopkins and Maryland playing those ACC teams is a tradition that goes back 60+ years. They might be willing to play Michigan because it's an easier win and they are more of a name in sports generally that RU. Can't explain OSU and PSU unless it's more of a general sports recognition positive.

IMO, much of the decision has to do with recruiting and the athletes that Rutgers brings in. Seems like RU really tries to assert dominance in NE lacrosse hotbeds by playing local teams to help with exposure. Outside of Syracuse, who I believe elected to not play RU anymore, the other ACC schools are country club players and just not the right fit for gritty RU. No upside for any of these schools to play and lose to RU. Also, can RU really change the mind of a player of who is considering UVA, Duke, UNC?
Syracuse did cancel on RU…pretty sure they didn’t want to take on the risk last year…obviously they view RU as below them and we would have pounded them last year and beat them again this year…

Additionally, word was that last year when SU dumped us, we (BB) called everyone else (all 4 ACC teams left) and nobody wanted the game. I think UNC was close but it ultimately didn’t get figured out…

I will say this, I was at Duke last Friday night for a game and at UNC Sat for a game and both were very very nice. UNC was fantastic IMO. Great venue and great campus. I can 100% see why kids go there.

As far as the country club comments, I get the term and understand the view…but do not mistake the athletes that go to Duke, UNC, and UVA…they are elite players and even better athletes….I’m not sure I’d call them soft if that is the intention

RU is a gritty, tough, hardworking program that is getting a bigger profile with every big win. RU is full of tough athletes and is getting better players attention now. That’s a direct reflection of the last two years success. Winning and PR elevates perceptions.

And BTW, I’m not really arguing or debating your post…I agree with 90% of what you said…I just don’t fully buy in on the country club comment.

Not sure if you guys know but I’d say 70% of last years RU team are very active golfers. Like golf crazy. The biggest customer group to the RU golf course is the lacrosse team. Hope that doesn’t hurt the perception 😉😁

Most of the guys love golf

Reactions: Local Shill
Acc teams are a bunch of pussies.

We had Uva on the schedule for 4 year home and homes. They cancelled after 2 years.

Syracuse dropped the series because we started winning and they didn't like losing to us.

Duke wasn't interested and Unc made a half hearted attempt.

Scheduling isn't easy. It takes two tango

Syracuse did cancel on RU…pretty sure they didn’t want to take on the risk last year…obviously they view RU as below them and we would have pounded them last year and beat them again this year…

Additionally, word was that last year when SU dumped us, we (BB) called everyone else (all 4 ACC teams left) and nobody wanted the game. I think UNC was close but it ultimately didn’t get figured out…

I will say this, I was at Duke last Friday night for a game and at UNC Sat for a game and both were very very nice. UNC was fantastic IMO. Great venue and great campus. I can 100% see why kids go there.

As far as the country club comments, I get the term and understand the view…but do not mistake the athletes that go to Duke, UNC, and UVA…they are elite players and even better athletes….I’m not sure I’d call them soft if that is the intention

RU is a gritty, tough, hardworking program that is getting a bigger profile with every big win. RU is full of tough athletes and is getting better players attention now. That’s a direct reflection of the last two years success. Winning and PR elevates perceptions.

And BTW, I’m not really arguing or debating your post…I agree with 90% of what you said…I just don’t fully buy in on the country club comment.

Not sure if you guys know but I’d say 70% of last years RU team are very active golfers. Like golf crazy. The biggest customer group to the RU golf course is the lacrosse team. Hope that doesn’t hurt the perception 😉😁

Opinion not based on the love for golf, who doesn’t love golf! Lots of ACC players sharing their parents G280 to go home for breaks.

I hope this won’t be taken the wrong way, since you all know I’m a friend and fan of Rutgers.

In the back of my mind, I am worried that your schedule is leaving room for NCAA tournament shenanigans. Rutgers definitely belongs there in a high seed, but we all know the games that get played. And look what happened to Notre Dame last year. A dangerous team that got left out.

Hope I am wrong and that I have not pissed anybody off. I truly believe that Rutgers is a contender to win it all.

We just need to continue winning. The B1G will sort itself out. The fact it’s having a solid year OOC will help.

Our schedule is solid. It’s not Hopkins or Maryland but we’re 7-1 and have some solid wins.

Point taken though. The committee has been no friend over the years.

We just need to continue winning. The B1G will sort itself out. The fact it’s having a solid year OOC will help.

Our schedule is solid. It’s not Hopkins or Maryland but we’re 7-1 and have some solid wins.

I’m relieved to hear you say that, because you know your stuff.

Everybody better look out for the Scarlet Knights in May.

Reactions: Caliknight
Maryland is still to the team to beat in the B1G and nationally imo. We have some nice pieces and room to grow but we have to keep growing. We aren’t where we were last year but I don’t think any team is unbeatable like last years Terps team. They were the best college team I’ve ever seen.

We are in the mix but there are a few of teams ahead of us. No one is unbeatable this year. Having said that I haven’t really seen ND yet. Keep getting better and growing heading into April. Lotta big games left to play starting Saturday. The goal now is obviously to win, but grow and gel. I use the word growth a lot but the teams that win big just keep getting better this time of year.

I like a few things I’m seeing. The d is getting better and our dmids are getting more comfortable with how we play. We are also playing a lot of guys now that will hopefully pay off come the end of the season. We need to see that continue if we want to play deep into May.

• Love
Reactions: dconifer
Maryland is still to the team to beat in the B1G and nationally imo. We have some nice pieces and room to grow but we have to keep growing. We aren’t where we were last year but I don’t think any team is unbeatable like last years Terps team. They were the best college team I’ve ever seen.

We are in the mix but there are a few of teams ahead of us. No one is unbeatable this year. Having said that I haven’t really seen ND yet. Keep getting better and growing heading into April. Lotta big games left to play starting Saturday. The goal now is obviously to win, but grow and gel. I use the word growth a lot but the teams that win big just keep getting better this time of year.

I like a few things I’m seeing. The d is getting better and our dmids are getting more comfortable with how we play. We are also playing a lot of guys now that will hopefully pay off come the end of the season. We need to see that continue if we want to play deep into May.

ND won the transfer portal by far this year, with UVA second. They are for real, as much as pains me to say it and currently the team to beat. That being said, they are not at a whole other level like Maryland '22.

I hope this won’t be taken the wrong way, since you all know I’m a friend and fan of Rutgers.

In the back of my mind, I am worried that your schedule is leaving room for NCAA tournament shenanigans. Rutgers definitely belongs there in a high seed, but we all know the games that get played. And look what happened to Notre Dame last year. A dangerous team that got left out.

Hope I am wrong and that I have not pissed anybody off. I truly believe that Rutgers is a contender to win it all.
The difference is that we won all but 1 of our OOC games, even if not murderers row. ND played a challenging OOC last year, but lost to every good team they played. That doesn’t help, especially because they didn’t get the lift from playing the ACC schedule that they normally would because as a conference they performed very poorly OOC.

And our loss by a goal was to Army, which is having a good season. And we beat the only team that has beaten Army so far. And everyone outside is UVa has at least 1 questionable loss (UMD to Loyola, Duke to Jacksonville, Cornell to PSU).

All that having been said, historically leaving our fate to the committee has not been favorable. This is the year that we need to win the B1G, in which case the OOC is irrelevant. We need to get the 800 lb turtle off our backs and final beat the Terps. The rest of the conference is very beatable.

The difference is that we won all but 1 of our OOC games, even if not murderers row. ND played a challenging OOC last year, but lost to every good team they played. That doesn’t help, especially because they didn’t get the lift from playing the ACC schedule that they normally would because as a conference they performed very poorly OOC.

And our loss by a goal was to Army, which is having a good season. And we beat the only team that has beaten Army so far. And everyone outside is UVa has at least 1 questionable loss (UMD to Loyola, Duke to Jacksonville, Cornell to PSU).

All that having been said, historically leaving our fate to the committee has not been favorable. This is the year that we need to win the B1G, in which case the OOC is irrelevant. We need to get the 800 lb turtle off our backs and final beat the Terps. The rest of the conference is very beatable.

I don't often post here (member on TOS), but I do enjoy the reading comments here. There are a number of folks here who know what they are talking about.

Having watched all our games, and being lucky enough to get back to campus to see the Villanova scrimmage, given the progress this team has made, it's understandable to see why the ACC doesn't want any part of us. I was very worried about last Saturday until I saw some very encouraging things developing. Our offense is for real. Yes, critics will say that we only put up 11 against UMass, but keep in mind three things. First, we did that without Brian Cameron. We Clearly missed him in the first quarter until our guys figured things out. Second, we did it on UMass's home field against a decent defense. Third, the score could have been greater without a stellar performance from their keeper. And for those who don't think that goaltending matters, go back and watch the overtime period of the Maryland/Virginia game.

And speaking of goaltending, Brecht got a steal in Kyle Mullin. He may not drop passes in transition like Kirst did, but this kid is solid in the net. He sees the ball. He also has Rall and Russo to lock down opponents top threats.

Our first midfield is klicking. Knoblock is always dangerous, and I think David Sprock is moving better than at the start of the year.

Others have remarked about how our defensive middies are looking more comfortable, and I agree. Clearing has also improved since the beginning of the year. Looked much better Saturday.

My biggest concern is the health of Brian Cameron. When he and Kulas are in the game together, you have snipers on both sides of the net.

Next Sunday night worries me due to the fact that OSU has not done well recently. With today's loss, they will be playing with their backs to the wall next Sunday night.

However, I feel we are well positioned for the meatgrinder ahead. I expect we will do well, but hey, after all it is lacrosse, isn't it? You can always slip and fall. It all depends on how quickly you can get up.

Now let's go out to Columbus and take them apart.

It was fine until Princeton started stinking.

I don't often post here (member on TOS), but I do enjoy the reading comments here. There are a number of folks here who know what they are talking about.

Having watched all our games, and being lucky enough to get back to campus to see the Villanova scrimmage, given the progress this team has made, it's understandable to see why the ACC doesn't want any part of us. I was very worried about last Saturday until I saw some very encouraging things developing. Our offense is for real. Yes, critics will say that we only put up 11 against UMass, but keep in mind three things. First, we did that without Brian Cameron. We Clearly missed him in the first quarter until our guys figured things out. Second, we did it on UMass's home field against a decent defense. Third, the score could have been greater without a stellar performance from their keeper. And for those who don't think that goaltending matters, go back and watch the overtime period of the Maryland/Virginia game.

And speaking of goaltending, Brecht got a steal in Kyle Mullin. He may not drop passes in transition like Kirst did, but this kid is solid in the net. He sees the ball. He also has Rall and Russo to lock down opponents top threats.

Our first midfield is klicking. Knoblock is always dangerous, and I think David Sprock is moving better than at the start of the year.

Others have remarked about how our defensive middies are looking more comfortable, and I agree. Clearing has also improved since the beginning of the year. Looked much better Saturday.

My biggest concern is the health of Brian Cameron. When he and Kulas are in the game together, you have snipers on both sides of the net.

Next Sunday night worries me due to the fact that OSU has not done well recently. With today's loss, they will be playing with their backs to the wall next Sunday night.

However, I feel we are well positioned for the meatgrinder ahead. I expect we will do well, but hey, after all it is lacrosse, isn't it? You can always slip and fall. It all depends on how quickly you can get up.

Now let's go out to Columbus and take them apart.

Good post. We definitely need Cameron back. I believe we will see him again but it's not likely to be this weekend. Hopefully he can come back healthy. That's the key.

I didn't realize that Army is so highly-regarded (#13 this week). Maybe my comments were off-base.

Go Rutgers!

And Loyola has entered the top 10. Our schedule isn't Maryland's, but at the end of the day it won't be much different than a number of other top 10 teams.

4 B1G teams in the Top 10 this week: MD at 2, RU at 6, Hopkins at 8, and PSU at 10. Was expecting OSU to be the Top 10 team and not PSU, but either way at least the B1G has 4 teams legitimately in contention for the NCAA Tourney.

PSU was always a sleeper team. They played a ton of young guys last year that have talent. Got a few injured guys back and were poised to have a good season.

4 B1G teams in the Top 10 this week: MD at 2, RU at 6, Hopkins at 8, and PSU at 10. Was expecting OSU to be the Top 10 team and not PSU, but either way at least the B1G has 4 teams legitimately in contention for the NCAA Tourney.
Ohio State is a mystery, it seems.

On the Virginia board (The Sabre) many seem to think that the Buckeyes will turn out to be pretty good in the end...

UVA @ Notre Dame this week. I think Penn State is going to rise and Hopkins slide in the weeks ahead.

As I said elsewhere, Myers is not putting up the numbers for Ohio State this year he has in the past. Not sure why, but it's having an impact.

Meyers isn't dynamic. He's not particularly fast and although big, not particularly strong.

He's a nice player but he's not going to carry the load for a top team. We have a handful of guys who can be more effective and a few as effective. I haven't seen enough of them to make a real determination but what I have seen hasn't been overly impressive.

The biggest issue I see from afar is they are giving up a lot of goals. Not sure if that is a goalie issue, their D is playing disconnected, or what. They do have a lot of talent at close, specifically two number 1 defenders. One of which we tried to get. Wonder if he thinks he made a mistake.

Ohio State is a mystery, it seems.

On the Virginia board (The Sabre) many seem to think that the Buckeyes will turn out to be pretty good in the end...

We will see. They always seem to play Maryland tough for some reason. Anything is possible.

Regarding the Acc, Syracuse did us a favor. At this point they were an even trade for Umass. We will see where they both wind up but Umass has a higher ceiling at this point in the season. Syracuse is going to get slaughtered in the Acc. Their biggest win is a two goal squeaker against a terrible Vermont team that Umass destroyed.

As I've said before, Syracuse is an Instagram team. They have highlights that make for good social media, but they lose. They are also a shell of how they used to play. Gone are the Simmons days of running and gunning. Now they look like a box team playing settled offense with their long poles and D guys afraid to cross midfield before running off.

Hell, we play way more like they used to then they do now. Big mistake if you ask me.

Word on the street is there are internal issues with that program.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT