ADVERTISEMENT

***PODCAST: Rutgers AD Pat Hobbs joins the show to talk facilities, NIL and more***

The concept that high end seating is at a premium (limited) and we need to capture more revenue....is in conflict with the....idea of putting students in those areas.

Sure adding boxes brings in more revenue but allowing students to real estate where the 100s are is leaving money on the table...besides the displacement of long time STHs and any other potential fall out.

The concept that high end seating is at a premium (limited) and we need to capture more revenue....is in conflict with the....idea of putting students in those areas.

Sure adding boxes brings in more revenue but allowing students to real estate where the 100s are is leaving money on the table...besides the displacement of long time STHs and any other potential fall out.
If there's is going to be a bunch of old geezers upset because there is 5 rows of students in front of them (which is going to make the environment even better) then maybe they can root for another team.

If there's is going to be a bunch of old geezers upset because there is 5 rows of students in front of them (which is going to make the environment even better) then maybe they can root for another team.
If this is about adding revenue....then I'm not sure how giving away or discounting some of the best real estate in the building helps us get there.

Reactions: S_Janowski
People that complain about the fossils in the 100's not making enough noise are now complaining about the students that might get put there. Classic.

Reactions: sct1111
People that complain about the fossils in the 100's not making enough noise are now complaining about the students that might get put there. Classic.
People as in plural…

Pretty sure I’ve never complained about what people are/are not doing in the 100s.

I have complained about the whole place being quiet a couple games ago and that includes the students.

I guess a 30 year old is an old geezer now a days.

100 level def makes more noise than 200 level and 300 level the lowest. Facts!
Students at the top of the chain.

If you want to do this …extend the student section to the section BEHIND the visiting bench and move the band to 108 from 110 so they are blaring music in the ears of the visiting bench

That achieves what needs to done …and do budget extra security

Reactions: pmvon
I think students around the court is great.
However, the $$ concerns are legitimate.

Also, considering the students usually stand the whole time, I can see the people behind them getting annoyed - for example if they have little kids or elderly.

Not saying it's bad students stand - just pointing out an obvious friction point that will come up.
I would love it and don't mind standing the whole game.

Students in front ofnon-studentss is a recipe for complaints.

Reactions: Rutgers56
Seems to me from that interview that the decision has been made and premium seating and reduced total capacity is the plan. Huge mistake by Hobbs trying to increase the revenue through high rollers while also satisfying the "keep the Rac" crowd. If premium seating is not negotiable build new. If you are going to keep the RAC move forward with the Pernetti plan.

Seems to me from that interview that the decision has been made and premium seating and reduced total capacity is the plan. Huge mistake by Hobbs trying to increase the revenue through high rollers while also satisfying the "keep the Rac" crowd. If premium seating is not negotiable build new. If you are going to keep the RAC move forward with the Pernetti plan.
Revenue is a big issue. The RAC is small, they have to make up for it somehow. Schmoozing rich people is important for this program, were last in donations.

Revenue is a big issue. The RAC is small, they have to make up for it somehow. Schmoozing rich people is important for this program, were last in donations.
As I already pointed out if the AD is set on premium seating then build new. This hybrid RAC renovation has Rube Goldberg written all over it.

Reactions: bac2therac
I think Hobbs made it clear in the interview the premium opportunities will mostly be where there is space for amenities/private space and at the RAC that is at the concourse level and potentially the office space overhang area. Other than some
first row opportunities it seems the space the students will occupy in a new set up doesn’t hurt the financials much.

Guess they did the analysis from the surveys pretty quick - AKA the surveys were BS and Hobbs already had his mind made up. Hobbs wants to turn this into the 'JMA Lounge' - maybe he can do corporate meet and greets during the games with the football recruits. He doesn't have the room to do what he wants to do without greatly affecting the atmosphere in my opinion - JMA is too small. Just like Hobbs initially screwed up bringing back Schiano, so will he too screw this up 6 ways to Sunday. He has no pulse or feel on what the fanbase wants, and frankly doesn't care. Hobbs is the wrong man for the job and needs to go.

Guess they did the analysis from the surveys pretty quick - AKA the surveys were BS and Hobbs already had his mind made up. Hobbs wants to turn this into the 'JMA Lounge' - maybe he can do corporate meet and greets during the games with the football recruits. He doesn't have the room to do what he wants to do without greatly affecting the atmosphere in my opinion - JMA is too small. Just like Hobbs initially screwed up bringing back Schiano, so will he too screw this up 6 ways to Sunday. He has no pulse or feel on what the fanbase wants, and frankly doesn't care. Hobbs is the wrong man for the job and needs to go.
I think it's a good plan. Atmosphere won't change, you get the increase in revenue and a new entrance/bathrooms/concourse that goes completely around the arena. Everything the fan base wanted. I'm confused what's missing and what you don't like about it? The RAC has always been small and in the opponents face. There's not a bad seat in the house and it is a top 10 or better home court advantage in the country.

There's just a bunch of season tickets holders who have been getting cheap season tickets for a long time because we've been horrible. If you want to be big time then you'll have to pay for it like every other big time fanbase.

Reactions: RUskoolie
I think it's a good plan. Atmosphere won't change, you get the increase in revenue and a new entrance/bathrooms/concourse that goes completely around the arena. Everything the fan base wanted. I'm confused what's missing and what you don't like about it? The RAC has always been small and in the opponents face. There's not a bad seat in the house and it is a top 10 or better home court advantage in the country.

There's just a bunch of season tickets holders who have been getting cheap season tickets for a long time because we've been horrible. If you want to be big time then you'll have to pay for it like every other big time fanbase.
I disagree - I think the atmosphere will change - to what degree depends on how many premium/corporate seats are put in. I guess the angle is you are going after Big Time Donors and the bet is that if you make their experience as high end as possible that will bring them in, and in turn they will support the program in a big way. I'm not so sure that bet will pay off - is there really a bunch of uppity donors just waiting to write a big check if they can sit in a nicer seat with more room?

We have very few things that are elite when it comes to Rutgers Athletics - by total mistake and/or lack of funds the RAC happens to be one of them. When you start messing with the blueprint of the core of what makes it special and are talking about taking out elbow to elbow seats and putting in premium/corporate areas giving VIPs more room you are affecting that chemistry. Replacing loyal fans with corporate partners in premium seating is akin to putting football recruits in the student section - they are there to be hosted and entertained by us - they are not necessarily there with a rooting interest. It's a totally different experience to being a fan.

No problem building out with concourses, additional bathrooms and a real front entrance. Heck even put a VIP Lounge somewhere for the high rollers. Put VIP/Private area in the offices above 118 - have all of 118 be waiter service for all I care. No problem putting the students in the first 4 rows around the arena either. Part of athletics is to sell the school - our CURRENT atmosphere 100% sells the school. Unfortunately our arena is small - therefore there really isn't much you can do to the core without really affecting things in a negative way in my opinion. I have a bad feeling about this, and have a bad feeling about Hobbs - Ill state it again, not the right guy for the job.

Try and be a little more disrespectful to loyal Rutgers graduates and decades old supporters of all things RU.
Respectful and thoughtful is a foreign concept to you?
If they have to move to enhance revenue or their game experience is altered so be it… show a little class when referring to older faithful.

Last edited:
It's a no win situation in some ways. Every option is going to be met with a group of angry fans - no matter what is done, or if nothing is done.

Bringing the students closer to the floor around the arena is what is done in Cameron Indoor, which is also on the smaller side for a college bball stadium at just 9,314 seats.

Last edited:
So @Saint Puppy we should fire Hobbs because you don't like his hypothetical design of the RAC that he is seeking feedback from the fanbase on before moving forward with an actual design concept to upgrade the building for the first time in 50 years? Brilliant take there.
If you think he is TRULY seeking feedback from the fanbase I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn. This survey is going through the motions, as his mind is made up.. If you want to see how much he values the fanbases opinion vs his own see how the hiring of Schiano went the 2nd time. Again my thing is DO NOT MESS with the one of the only things that is elite in your athletic program - figure out ways around it. He will be gone in a few years either way, and done with Rutgers - the fanbase will have to live with the decisions he makes for a very long time. Saying you are going to take out some of the heart and soul of the RAC and replace it with apathetic fans is not going to play so well with the fans.

It's a no win situation in some ways. Every option is going to be met with a group of angry fans - no matter what is done, or if nothing is done.

Bringing the students closer to the floor around the area is what is done in Cameron Indoor, which is also on the smaller side for a college bball stadium at just 9,314 seats.
I agree with this - in a way it is a no win situation. People are going to lose their seats and be moved. I actually don't have an issue with bringing the students to the floor - it helps with the optics on TV Games and I think it adds to the overall electricity of the game. My whole thing is don't take away from the electricity of that building - it is special! What Hobbs is looking to do is exactly that.

Funny how a lot on here are saying screw the long time ticket holders in the 100's and 200's. The ones who have been here through the horrid seasons. My guess is those people aren't season ticket holders, if they were they might have a different take. I say add more seats along the sides with no obstructed views, more bathrooms, add a grand entrance outside the building with some good food and space to gather, and the premium suites where the offices currently are. Long time fans will always be there, corporate may not necessarily. Don't fix what isn't broke.

I always figured they'd expand more behind the basket opposite the student section, where the main concourse is. You could expand that whole section upward into where the offices currently are - turn that office space into luxury boxes, and expand more seats to fill that baseline area much more than it already is. Blow out that side of the building to have a larger concourse area, food court, merch/apparel shop, etc.

I'm a season ticket holder in the 300s, and I have no need of seat-backs up there. I'm not opposed to having the ring around the court be students, though.

I always figured they'd expand more behind the basket opposite the student section, where the main concourse is. You could expand that whole section upward into where the offices currently are - turn that office space into luxury boxes, and expand more seats to fill that baseline area much more than it already is. Blow out that side of the building to have a larger concourse area, food court, merch/apparel shop, etc.

I'm a season ticket holder in the 300s, and I have no need of seat-backs up there. I'm not opposed to having the ring around the court be students, though.
I thought they would do this too but I'm guessing blowing out an entire side of the arena is mucho expensive and would probably take a long time to complete. One of the biggest concerns was playing away from the RAC for a season and it probably would have to happen if something like this was to be done.

I disagree - I think the atmosphere will change - to what degree depends on how many premium/corporate seats are put in. I guess the angle is you are going after Big Time Donors and the bet is that if you make their experience as high end as possible that will bring them in, and in turn they will support the program in a big way. I'm not so sure that bet will pay off - is there really a bunch of uppity donors just waiting to write a big check if they can sit in a nicer seat with more room?

We have very few things that are elite when it comes to Rutgers Athletics - by total mistake and/or lack of funds the RAC happens to be one of them. When you start messing with the blueprint of the core of what makes it special and are talking about taking out elbow to elbow seats and putting in premium/corporate areas giving VIPs more room you are affecting that chemistry. Replacing loyal fans with corporate partners in premium seating is akin to putting football recruits in the student section - they are there to be hosted and entertained by us - they are not necessarily there with a rooting interest. It's a totally different experience to being a fan.

No problem building out with concourses, additional bathrooms and a real front entrance. Heck even put a VIP Lounge somewhere for the high rollers. Put VIP/Private area in the offices above 118 - have all of 118 be waiter service for all I care. No problem putting the students in the first 4 rows around the arena either. Part of athletics is to sell the school - our CURRENT atmosphere 100% sells the school. Unfortunately our arena is small - therefore there really isn't much you can do to the core without really affecting things in a negative way in my opinion. I have a bad feeling about this, and have a bad feeling about Hobbs - Ill state it again, not the right guy for the job.
The conceptual drawings have the box seating where the media sits now and across the arena on the other side. I can't see how one level of premium seating like that takes away from the environment. It's not like the media members are standing/cheering or participating in the RU chant right now.

The premium seating is right in the middle of the atmosphere which is really cool. Think about potential donors being exposed to and snack dab in the middle of the RAC environment.

Funny how a lot on here are saying screw the long time ticket holders in the 100's and 200's. The ones who have been here through the horrid seasons. My guess is those people aren't season ticket holders, if they were they might have a different take. I say add more seats along the sides with no obstructed views, more bathrooms, add a grand entrance outside the building with some good food and space to gather, and the premium suites where the offices currently are. Long time fans will always be there, corporate may not necessarily. Don't fix what isn't broke.
Season ticket holders got cheap tickets in an old outdated arena and watched a crappy program for years. The product is much better now and now they have to pay for it.

Try and be a little more disrespectful to loyal Rutgers graduates and decades old supporters of all things RU.
Respectful and thoughtful is a foreign concept to you?
If they have to move to enhance revenue or their game experience is altered so be it… show a little class when referring to older faithful.
Same group who ruined student tailgating in the blue lot and then complained when students stopped coming to football games.

Reactions: RUskoolie
Season ticket holders got cheap tickets in an old outdated arena and watched a crappy program for years. The product is much better now and now they have to pay for it.
Right, so why should they suffer? And you have no idea how much and who donates. Paying a little more is fine but pushing fans out of seats for suites is taking a big chance. Where are your seats? Again the ones calling for this think long time ticket holders should now suffer. Bs.

Reactions: Rutgers56
Right, so why should they suffer? And you have no idea how much and who donates. Paying a little more is fine but pushing fans out of seats for suites is taking a big chance. Where are your seats? Again the ones calling for this think long time ticket holders should now suffer. Bs.
I would think they would be moved a few rows back so the students would be in the first few rows. You'd think this is something that would improve the atmosphere and something a Rutgers fan would be in favor of.

"I want the students to be loud arrive on time, I just don't want them near me." Same energy as the student tailgating situation in the blue lot years ago.

Reactions: RUChoppin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT