ADVERTISEMENT

Police report: Paterno /Sandusky

MADHAT1

Hall of Famer
Apr 1, 2003
>The police report casts fresh doubt on the mountain of denials by Paterno, his family and his loyalists that the coach knew anything of Sandusky's serial molestation before the 2001 incident.
It contradicts the head coach's testimony before a grand jury and his published statement a week before he died in 2012 that he "had 'no inkling' that Sandusky might be a sexual deviant" until he heard the shocking allegation from McQueary. Other documents unveiled since Paterno's death suggest the head coach was told of other similar claims as early as the 1970s.<
http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/09/us/penn-state-paterno-sandusky-police-report/index.html

giphy.gif

Paterno was like Trump. Anyone who was loyal to him or helped him win, he overlooked one's transgressions.
Powerful people are like that. They value loyalty more than anything. And I am sure Sandusky was very loyal to Paterno.
Paterno was not going to throw him under the bus. Is this right? No. But it makes sense on how Paterno saw the whole thing.
The problem here is that people made Paterno too powerful in PA.

"had 'no inkling' " has always stretched the limits of credibility well, well beyond the breaking point.

Paterno might have clung to the view "well I did not see anything with my own eyes" ... but Paterno was not a dolt - and he was not some naive, sheltered innocent - unfamiliar with the inappropriate aspects of behavior - and he had much more than enough information to have questions - & it is absurd to think that he didn't have a suspicion "that Sandusky might be a sexual deviant"

With a preponderance of circumstantial clues piled up at his feet, Paterno's willful lack of curiosity, lack of inquiry is, no matter how you slice it, far beyond reprehensible and really was a dereliction of duty.

Nothing that hasn't been out since 2010 and already reviewed.
I never heard about this police report before, even with all the threads posted about this issue. That's why I posted it, thought it wasn't known, especially after reading this in article :The police report's absence from the public record -- until now.

Nothing that hasn't been out since 2010 and already reviewed. "may have known" in the headline tells it all, and some are missing it. Nothing to see.

porktrap posting from Crappy Valley prior to watching his Pedophiles taking on Pitt?

Paterno was like Trump. Anyone who was loyal to him or helped him win, he overlooked one's transgressions.
Powerful people are like that. They value loyalty more than anything. And I am sure Sandusky was very loyal to Paterno.
Paterno was not going to throw him under the bus. Is this right? No. But it makes sense on how Paterno saw the whole thing.
The problem here is that people made Paterno too powerful in PA.
More likely , since people don't start doing what Sandusky did at 50 years old, there were other incidents covered up decades earlier, and the initial coverups led to Paterno continuing to double down because the alternative meant admitting they kept Sandusky from being locked up in the 80's.

More likely , since people don't start doing what Sandusky did at 50 years old, there were other incidents covered up decades earlier, and the initial coverups led to Paterno continuing to double down because the alternative meant admitting they kept Sandusky from being locked up in the 80's.
Yeah.. there was more than this. You had the situation where he brought a boy to a bowl game, shared a hotel room, iirc. But he strongest evidence that JoePA knew was that Sandusky was retired while still in his prime as a DC.. was never recommended for a HC job someplace else.. afaik, never sought one... and had a sweet retirement deal from PSU. Certainly there had to be interest from the outside in seeing if he wanted to coach again.

Reactions: newell138
Death Penalty? Nah. Outrageous and criminal, yes. But those staff and admin crimes are outside of the NCAA's purview, which is why the NCAA backed off. Criminal convictions were pursued and justice was (mostly) served, right? Today, though, PSU is ranked No 4. They lost little ground in terms of FB. But the school is forever tainted. Joe knew? Not sure. But he did not want to know, which is just as wrong.

The thing brings nothing new to light that already hasn't been reviewed.
You might have known this: >The police report also notes, again according to McQueary, that Paterno told the young assistant that his wife, Sue Paterno, once had told the head coach that Sandusky's wife, Dottie Sandusky, "told her Jerry doesn't like girls."< but I don't remember ever hearing that statement .
Maybe you have this etched in your memory: >"Then he made the comment to McQueary this was the second complaint of this nature he had received about Sandusky," the report states, citing McQueary's recollection.< but I must have let it slipped my mind because it seems like something I didn't see mentioned in any article I read about the cover-up before reading it in the article I posted
This ( in article ) probably is/was well known by those that have discussed the cover-up: >Also in his 2013 testimony, McQueary said Paterno in the years after 2001 made passing remarks about how Sandusky "was a sick guy" and said the university "screwed up" in its handling of the 2001 allegation.< but ( again) I'm having trouble remembering hearing it before reading it today.

Ganim was just called a liar on Twitter by Scott Paterno. This was nothing more than a fluff piece, ordered by someone with a hard on.
That proves the article is wrong and Joe didn't know [jumpingsmile][laughing] :cool2:

Seems like many posting here ( Nits need not comment) have heard this before :
Sue Paterno, once had told the her husband that Sandusky's wife, Dottie Sandusky, "told her Jerry doesn't like girls."
Also knew Paterno remarks about how Sandusky "was a sick guy"
Seems like I posted stuff that was fairly well known by Rutgers fans, are there others that ( like me) don't remember hearing those statements before.
But in any-case, felt article was worthy to post, even if old news to some.

Somebody is selling something to these prospects who by and large have no emotional investment in Penn St. The place should be revolting to a rational 18 year old. Anytime you're getting a pitch from a recruiter that includes "by the way we're NOT really evil here" has to pin his Get-Me-The-F-Outta-Here Meter to the red line. We are a cynical people anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT