ADVERTISEMENT

Politi on the Secret to RU's Football Recruiting Success - Trust.

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
Won't even open that link. Already know it is the negative cynic jumping on the bandwagon - playing it safe just in case we go on a roll which is very possible. Don't worry - one bad loss and he will be back in form. And of course he will write the annual "RU football is costing the tax payers $" article - which is a fabricated lie and fake news.

Won't even open that link. Already know it is the negative cynic jumping on the bandwagon - playing it safe just in case we go on a roll which is very possible. Don't worry - one bad loss and he will be back in form. And of course he will write the annual "RU football is costing the tax payers $" article - which is a fabricated lie and fake news.
Can only read the first 4 sentences anyway. Something about Sanu.

Does it really matter ? Don’t care what Politi thinks. It’s not something Rutgers fans aren’t used to by this rag media newspaper. Truth is Schiano was the only choice and they almost F’d that up. Now we still need to win many more games but we all see the difference in this program. Talent wins games. I revert back to what he said many years ago on the radio show. “ When we have 7-8 NFL types per class we will play for Championships.” That’s getting awfully close by my estimate.

Thanks for sharing numbers. I actually plan on reading the column before commenting extensively, but I think it’s a great topic to address. Mike and Richie have addressed it on their podcasts to some degree but it’s definitely worthy of more discussion as it appears Greg has really hit on something here.

Reactions: mb5789 and RU848789
Thanks for sharing numbers. I actually plan on reading the column before commenting extensively, but I think it’s a great topic to address. Mike and Richie have addressed it on their podcasts to some degree but it’s definitely worthy of more discussion as it appears Greg has really hit on something here.
Cracks me up how ridiculously negative people around here are and have been wrt NJ.com/Ledger. We sucked for a long time and - surprise - they wrote negative stories. Local sportswriters want RU to be good as that means their articles get more attention. And Politi has been on the Schiano bandwagon for a long time. And yes, Greg is on to something this time around, just like last time and it's based on being honest and forthright with recruits, which builds trust, which is a hard thing to do in this business and it appeals to some recruits/players and their families and that's clearly reflected in Greg's building success.

I trust Greg to get likeable players and develop defenders.
I don't trust Greg - or his coaches - at all over offenses and QBs
Time to stop blaming the players all the time.
The "TRUST" sneakers look silly

"Rutgers will start its 15th quarterback in the 16 seasons since Teel’s career came to an end. "

Cracks me up how ridiculously negative people around here are and have been wrt NJ.com/Ledger. We sucked for a long time and - surprise - they wrote negative stories. Local sportswriters want RU to be good as that means their articles get more attention. And Politi has been on the Schiano bandwagon for a long time. And yes, Greg is on to something this time around, just like last time and it's based on being honest and forthright with recruits, which builds trust, which is a hard thing to do in this business and it appeals to some recruits/players and their families and that's clearly reflected in Greg's building success.
You’re right . But the stuff they pulled with mulcahy isn’t something rutgers fans forget.

Cracks me up how ridiculously negative people around here are and have been wrt NJ.com/Ledger. We sucked for a long time and - surprise - they wrote negative stories. Local sportswriters want RU to be good as that means their articles get more attention.
O bullsh*t, they were still dredging the depths for any negative story when we were doing good. Kevin Manahan way back when, took the approach that negative news sells and that's how they've been steered ever since.

Happy Daniel Bryan GIF by WWE
Its A Trap GIF

I get the SL and read the articles on NJ.com. The coverage overall is good and informative. A lot of good information of RU sports especially football and basketball on “The Rutgers Rant” podcast. Have had a number of very positive front page articles over the last few years. Had two consecutive front page articles on the Dylan Harper commitment. If the teams are losing or there are off field problems , the coverage of course will have a negative context, it’s a newspaper after all .

O bullsh*t, they were still dredging the depths for any negative story when we were doing good. Kevin Manahan way back when, took the approach that negative news sells and that's how they've been steered ever since.
Don't notice negative BS reporting from any of the Gannet NJ sportswriters. Carino, Iseman, and before Iseman there was the fine writer JP Pelzman (RIP). Gannet NJ (north jersey.com, app.com, mycentraljersey.com) employs journalists. NJ.com seems to favor hack columnists like Politi.

The only person worth reading on the NJ.com sports staff is Todderick Hunt. Dunleavy and Kratch were smart to leave the idiot asylum and move to real news outlets.

When reading sports, many people are not looking for the opinion of some dude who looks like a penis with glasses who could not bench press 20 pounds. Sure, some like his schtick, but his act got tiresome back in Greg 1.0.

I get the SL and read the articles on NJ.com. The coverage overall is good and informative. A lot of good information of RU sports especially football and basketball on “The Rutgers Rant” podcast. Have had a number of very positive front page articles over the last few years. Had two consecutive front page articles on the Dylan Harper commitment. If the teams are losing or there are off field problems , the coverage of course will have a negative context, it’s a newspaper after all .
Nothing for nothing but NJ.com is a poor man’s substitute for what the Star Ledger/Newark Evening News was some years ago . It lacks quality sports writers who wrote many articles some which reflected a negative take on Rutgers sports but oddly they also were fair when Rutgers played well . Digital content bloggers is really what they are.

Reactions: 1coastalknight
You’re right . But the stuff they pulled with mulcahy isn’t something rutgers fans forget.
That wasn’t the sports writers to be fair, that was the regular news division. Although Politi I’m sure would tow the company line if ever cornered on it.

That wasn’t the sports writers to be fair, that was the regular news division. Although Politi I’m sure would tow the company line if ever cornered on it.
True. And politi has written some very good articles. His piece at legrand’s house was excellent .

Reactions: Eagleton96
How could he not write something positive regarding Eric. Pretty easy to do based upon Eric’s history at Rutgers and now as a business man , TV color commentator and just a great young man.

Nothing for nothing but NJ.com is a poor man’s substitute for what the Star Ledger/Newark Evening News was some years ago . It lacks quality sports writers who wrote many articles some which reflected a negative take on Rutgers sports but oddly they also were fair when Rutgers played well . Digital content bloggers is really what they are.
To be fair there is only one Jerry Izenberg.

Who?

Whomever this person is, they're up there with Snowden in giving away our secrets to the world. What the hell is this person thinking? We don't have enough NIL money and yet we're recruiting decently. And this person is writing articles to give away our secret for doing that? WTF?

I think this Politi person should share a cell with Snowden.

Before this post winds up on that whatchamacallit site again, this is satire.

Last edited:
Forgot this good sports guy …Tom Luicci
That dirtbag pushed a then 3 year old child to the ground who was next in line for Coach's autograph to ask, "Are you pleased with today's scrimmage"? I know because it was my child and my wife had to usher me away before I rammed his glasses down his pencil neck.

I hope whatever journalism Hell he got sent to is HOT. BTW that 3 year old is now 22 and would toss him around like a decrepit rag doll.

Tom Luicci. The very mention of his name makes my blood boil.😡

Important Edit MEANT FOR THE POPULATION OF THE BOARD AT LARGE. NOT JUST BOB WHOSE PANTIES YOU WILL SEE GOT PUSHED WAAAAAAAY UP THINKING IT WAS MEANT SPECIFICALLY FOR HIM IF YOU CONTINUE TO READ DOWN:

And PLEASE, if Tom Luicci is somehow your buddy or your hero or some such nonsense, please don't flood my DM with stories about what a solid citizen he is the way some do when I tell my Bob Hurley Sr. story. The man's a festering bag of dogsh*t (both of them are) and no tales of triumph of the human spirit they've inspired in some lunkhead you know will change my mind.

Last edited:
That dirtbag pushed a then 3 year old child to the ground who was next in line for Coach's autograph to ask, "Are you pleased with today's scrimmage"? I know because it was my child and my wife had to usher me away before I rammed his glasses down his pencil neck.

I hope whatever journalism Hell he got sent to is HOT. BTW that 3 year old is now 22 and would toss him around like a decrepit rag doll.

Tom Luicci. The very mention of his name makes my blood boil.😡

Important Edit: And PLEASE, if Tom Luicci is somehow your buddy or your hero or some such nonsense, please don't flood my DM with stories about what a solid citizen he is the way some do when I tell my Bob Hurley Sr. story. The man's a festering bag of dogsh*t (both of them are) and no tales of triumph of the human spirit they've inspired in some lunkhead you know will change my mind.
Excuse me Ass…. but it was about a sports writer and the content with Rutgers football. It has absolutely nothing to do with whatever your personal bitch is.As for “ your buddy comments “ F off . You act like the typical virtue signaling moron.

Cracks me up how ridiculously negative people around here are and have been wrt NJ.com/Ledger. ...
Long-time Rutgers fans and long-time S-L, NJ.com readers KNOW the history here. They know the many crimes against Rutgers these entities have committed.

It does not matter if we "sucked". What mattered was how we were treated and we were rarely treated fairly and we all KNOW it.

And worse, Rutgers never got the same home-state-U treatment that other state-U get from their local media.. sucking or not. Thos of us who traveled a bit KNOW it. We saw the local news sports stories around the nation.. we read the local papers.. talked to local fans.

F them all.. we got The Knight Report and other social media sources now. And they are fair.. and we hear it when we suck and we hear it when there is hope.. FAIRLY.. much moreso than anything the S-L or NJ.com have been.

And we KNOW it.

Reactions: KT8813
Don't notice negative BS reporting from any of the Gannet NJ sportswriters. Carino, Iseman, and before Iseman there was the fine writer JP Pelzman (RIP). Gannet NJ (north jersey.com, app.com, mycentraljersey.com) employs journalists. NJ.com seems to favor hack columnists like Politi.

The only person worth reading on the NJ.com sports staff is Todderick Hunt. Dunleavy and Kratch were smart to leave the idiot asylum and move to real news outlets.

When reading sports, many people are not looking for the opinion of some dude who looks like a penis with glasses who could not bench press 20 pounds. Sure, some like his schtick, but his act got tiresome back in Greg 1.0.
From a guy who “hikes” for exercise.

Excuse me Ass…. but it was about a sports writer and the content with Rutgers football. It has absolutely nothing to do with whatever your personal bitch is.As for “ your buddy comments “ F off . You act like the typical virtue signaling moron.
P.S. "Are you pleased with today's scrimmage?"

He was a suck-ass 'journalist' too.

I won't get this thread locked by responding directly to your dementia addled silliness.

Edit: I'll let my comment stand because I have no idea what gives you your ideas about what you think you know about me, BUT I could have been more clear in my rage fueled writing that my 'buddy' comment wasn't directed at you but at the board as a whole. That's my bad. You have never entered my DM to white knight for anyone. Let it be noted for all to see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
NJ.Com is the only real news source for Rutgers football or basketball. I think they are fair and I read it. I think many here are caught up with the fee to read. They want everything free but the paper has to survive too. Rutgers needs real journalism in order to become relevant to the masses. We don’t count as we follow the schools sports programs win lose or draw. Many of you want to keep Rutgers all to yourselves and that’s why we are small time. Some of you think you matter lol.

Reactions: RutgersMaryland
P.S. "Are you pleased with today's scrimmage?"

He was a suck-ass 'journalist' too.

I won't get this thread locked by responding directly to your dementia addled silliness.
You can choose either or. You were wrong to attack me in that post. You evidently are a 40 + something hyperbolic clown who takes his own inadequacies of common sense and blames anyone he disagrees with for his uncontrolled temper. BTW: he was a well thought of sports columnist. Sorry it happened but get over it .

You can choose either or. You were wrong to attack me in that post. You evidently are a 40 + something hyperbolic clown who takes his own inadequacies of common sense and blames anyone he disagrees with for his uncontrolled temper. BTW: he was a well thought of sports columnist. Sorry it happened but get over it .
You quoted before you saw the edit. I copped to being unclear, but that doesn't change a thing.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Read the column and it was very good. Focuses more on Sanu, which is great, but I wish it dug a little deeper into the developmental program concept. Maybe another column for another day.

Reactions: WestOrangeCL
You quoted before you saw the edit. I copped to being unclear, but that doesn't change a thing.
No you are an antagonistic DB …dementia? Trust this… if you actually understand that diagnosis then you are well on the way before me even . Thankfully I’m still at 74+ in better shape than 90% of that post age 70 group … 6’0” 205lbs. Full head of hair…a touch of grey on the sides. You 40-50 group would do well to remember this simple fact … you will get old too. Listen… what happened to your 3 year old son was wrong ( don’t know) and if Luicci did not apologize then he was wrong. However you ATTACKED my post and me personally. Should I tell my 6’2” 245 lb 48 year old ? Here’s the point… where in God’s name did you come up with “ your buddy” quote?

Sorry Numbers - But the whole crew at the Ledger lost what little credibility they had years ago when they orchestrated and railroaded Uncle Bob. Horrible people who don't deserve any trust - Politi is just covering his ass to make it seem he is fair - he isn't and it has nothing to do with our performance on the field.

No you are an antagonistic DB …dementia? Trust this… if you actually understand that diagnosis then you are well on the way before me even . Thankfully I’m still at 74+ in better shape than 90% of that post age 70 group … 6’0” 205lbs. Full head of hair…a touch of grey on the sides. You 40-50 group would do well to remember this simple fact … you will get old too. Listen… what happened to your 3 year old son was wrong ( don’t know) and if Luicci did not apologize then he was wrong. However you ATTACKED my post and me personally. Should I tell my 6’2” 245 lb 48 year old ? Here’s the point… where in God’s name did you come up with “ your buddy” quote?
Not that you'll read it because I'm now blocked but that was directed at what I'll simply refer to as "The Friends of Hurley" brigade (one lonely, also old person) who swoop in to defend his worthless honor when I post my tale about him from when I myself was a young person. I quoted your post because it involved Luicci, and it was quite honestly shocking anyone thinks he was a good journalist, but I also happened to know he's a crap human being as well (No, he did not apologize just looked at me as if the space was his to command and what was my kid doing there... at a Fanfest!).

I take for granted sometimes that the person I quote, who normally originates my thought, will think I'm speaking directly to them when instead all I am doing is continuing the topic. I could have been clearer and cop to that. Still doesn't change the fact you think you know sh*t when you don't but hey, I brought it on myself this time.

Sorry Numbers - But the whole crew at the Ledger lost what little credibility they had years ago when they orchestrated and railroaded Uncle Bob. Horrible people who don't deserve any trust - Politi is just covering his ass to make it seem he is fair - he isn't and it has nothing to do with our performance on the field.
You think Politi is worrying about a fanbase that doesn’t move the needle? Some of us think we are special. We complain about everything and anything especially the price of tickets and parking and let’s not talk about donating to the cause. We don’t show up until the end of the first quarter and we sell out one of the smallest power 5 gyms for one year in a row lol. As a whole we donate squat this fanbase has zero power.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT