ADVERTISEMENT

Politi: tourney should be the floor, not the ceiling.

Politi is a moron. Anyone who agrees with Politi…….

Of course we all want more but getting there 3 years in a row after not getting there for 30 years is a huge accomplishment. Year 1 we don’t get to play because of Covid. Year 2 we are one play away from the Sweet 16. This year was heartbreaking for the players and the real loyal fans but way more for the players and not at all for Politi and other dbags like him.

The real loyal fans care about the players and our program and looking back we should all be very happy with these last 3 seasons. All players and coaches and athletes know. Most fans know. Others just like to be aholes.

Could not agree more. Stop comparing this program to eddie and fred hill. The bar is buried with alot of you. https://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketbal...he-build-a-program-well-know-soon-politi.html
Kyk we are a program that was in the cellar of basketball for the better part of 40 years. We have gone through many coaches who were going to be the savior of the program only to remain in the cellar.
What pike has done is amazing. In five years he has gotten RU to the dance three times, the next step is to advance deeper into the dance. Pike has the program on the right track and I am confident in his ability to get us deeper into the the ncaa tourney.
on another note, PIKE has shown to be a wonderful ambassador for Rutgers. He is always positive, speaks well of his players and opponents. Pike is a moulder of men and a good one at that.

When you start actually agreeing with Politi, you should start to question your intelligence.

The floor of being a Top 25 to 35th ranked team every year seems reasonable, when you have 90+ Power 6 conferences or programs??

9 Pac 12 teams didn't make the NCAAS.....what's different with RU from these programs??

9 ACC teams didn't make the NCAAs.....same thing here, suddenly RU automatically blows past UVA, NC State, Florida State, Syracuse and Louisville forever??

7 SEC teams didn't make the NCAAs....Florida, Texas A&M and others are cash rich and very competitive, do we really think RU arrives and has better talent than these SEC schools???

3 Big 12 teams didn't make the NCAAs....Oklahoma, Oklahoma State etc.....these programs didn't make it, they have been in Final Fours and Elite 8s, way more often than most B1G schools.

5 B1G teams didn't make the NCAAs

5 Big East teams didn't make the NCAAs....Xavier is a perennial NCAA team....

8 or so AAC teams didn't make the NCAAs.

7 Ivy League teams didn't make the NCAAs

7 Mountain West teams didn't make the NCAAs

I'm not that smart at math but, if you have 90+ programs and you are better than 50+ of them, you are essentially saying RU should be a ranked program in the Top 25 to 35 range each and every year.

There are 50 to 55 other programs that have the same goal.

To make a dumb statement that the "floor" is to be a Top 25 to 35 program every year, no questions asked is a relatively dumb and ill-informed comment.....it shows how crazy it is and how can you watch the last day of basketball and see New Mexico State beat UConn, St Peters Beats Kentucky and Richmond beats Iowa.....these schools don't have players??

Even the teams that lose like Vermont vs Arkansas, Akron vs UCLA are extremely competitive in a 1 game scenario.....

The "floor" for any program should be to first have a winning record. Something that RU has not done for THIRTEEN straight seasons before 2019-20....

You have to have a "floor of a winning season overall"......the fact that not all of the 50 to 55 teams that missed the NCAAs, didn't even make the NITs, shows how dumb Politi actually is.....and I can't say enough how competitive CBB actually is with 350+ programs, looking to land one of 68 spots.....

No one is saying RU is comparing things to Fred Hill or Eddie Jordan. It is also a dumb statement to compare a cash poor program in the Big East 10 to 15 years ago, to where RU stands today....that stands for Football, Basketball, baseball volleyball, gymnastics or whatever sport RU competes in.

The reality is RU has not been competitive, because they have hired on the cheap, been cash poor on facilities, cash poor on hiring (Ash, Flood, FHJ, Rice, Eddie Jordan)......those hires were framed because RU could only pay so much and went on the cheap.....every other Power 5 program was armed with way more cash over the last 20 to 30 years.....RU is only catching up now and STILL hasn't received a full share from the B1G.

Stop trying to find new ways to set things up to say RU is a failure if they don't make the NCAAs every year......show us which programs not as a blue blood in a Power 5 league that dances each and every year, no questions asked.

The number is less than 6 schools folks.....

Last edited:
Kyk we are a program that was in the cellar of basketball for the better part of 40 years. We have gone through many coaches who were going to be the savior of the program only to remain in the cellar.
What pike has done is amazing. In five years he has gotten RU to the dance three times, the next step is to advance deeper into the dance. Pike has the program on the right track and I am confident in his ability to get us deeper into the the ncaa tourney.
on another note, PIKE has shown to be a wonderful ambassador for Rutgers. He is always positive, speaks well of his players and opponents. Pike is a moulder of men and a good one at that.
There is no guarantee to advance deeper. Ask Iowa, Kentucky and even U Conn. The key is to get there consistently and stay in the Top half of the BIG. We peaked a little early in February unlike UCLA last year but once you get to the dance anything can happen.

I'm a little surprised here by some comments. Of course we're all grateful and happy over what has happened over the past three years. Pike has done a fantastic job. But what's wrong with the thought of waiting on Selection Sunday each and every year for our name to pop up. Let's build this up to the point where we're NCAA contenders every year no matter who is wearing the uniform.

Agree, we may be an every couple of years program as the next level. We have no historical reputation, won’t cheat and are a developmental program. Thus, every couple years we bump up and can make some runs then perhaps down a bit (only because we are in the Big).
Avoid really down like MN, Northwestern, Nebraska and Penn State. Try to get into top 8 as many years as we can and this means 11-12 wins and tourney. For B ball I will take that any year.

I love b ball but can only bleed so deep because I leave it all out there for football. Trying to lighten up and just enjoy watching a sport a little more (that is my wife’s advice anyway). I can’t be heartbroken Fall through early Spring. Just the fall :)

I'm a little surprised here by some comments. Of course we're all grateful and happy over what has happened over the past three years. Pike has done a fantastic job. But what's wrong with the thought of waiting on Selection Sunday each and every year for our name to pop up. Let's build this up to the point where we're NCAA contenders every year no matter who is wearing the uniform.

This. I don’t find what Politi wrote to be all controversial.

When you start actually agreeing with Politi, you should start to question your intelligence.

The floor of being a Top 35 team every year seems reasonable, when you gave 90+ Power 6 conferences or programs.

9 Pac 12 teams didn't make the NCAAS

9 ACC teams didn't make the NCAAs

7 SEC teams didn't make the NCAAs.

3 Big 12 teams didn't make the NCAAs.

5 Big East teams didn't make the NCAAs

I'm not that smart at math but, if you have 90+ programs and you are better than 50+ of them, you are essentially saying RU should be a ranked program in the Top 25 to 35 range each and every year.

To make a dumb statement that the "floor" is to be a Top 25 to 35 program every year, no questions asked is a relatively dumb and ill-informed comment.

The "floor" for any program should be to first have a winning record. Something that RU has not done for THIRTEEN straight seasons before 2019-20....

You have to have a "floor of a winning season overall......the fact that not all of the 50 to 55 teams that missed the NCAAs, didn't even make the NITs, shows how dumb Politi actually is.....and I can't say enough how competitive CBB actually is with 350+ programs, looking to land one of 68 spots.....

No one is saying RU is comparing things to Fred Hill or Eddie Jordan. It is also a dumb statement to compare a cash poor program in the Big East 10 to 15 years ago, to where RU stands today....that stands for Football, Basketball, volleyball, gymnastics or whatever sport RU competes in.

The reality is RU has not been competitive, because they have hired on the cheap, been cash poor on facilities, cash poor on hiring (Ash, Flood, FHJ, Rice, Eddie Jordan)......those hires were framed because RU could only pay so much and went on the cheap.

Stop trying to find new ways to set things up to say RU is a failure if they don't make the NCAAs every year......show us which programs not as a blue blood in a Power 5 league that dances each and every year, no questions asked.

People are so ill-informed it’s staggering. There are less than 10 teams I believe with 5 consecutive appearances.

I think it's a fine expectation that we get to that point eventually, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect us to be at that point now which is basically what kyk expects.

Could not agree more. Stop comparing this program to eddie and fred hill. The bar is buried with alot of you. https://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketbal...he-build-a-program-well-know-soon-politi.html
I agree with you and politi that the floor should be the tourney (or at least consistently a bubble team), I disagree with you that you think that with Pikiell his ceiling is also what we just saw.

At the end of the day for Rutgers basketball without going the shady bag men route, it was always going to be the chicken or the egg situation.

We need to get good players to win but we need to win to get good players.

Now that we have had a 3 year run of success, I believe we are going to become a better destination for impact transfers and impact recruits. We may never make a final four but we can be a consistent tourney team.

Aspirations = tourney team every year. With making the tourney every year, there would probably be runs of Sweet 16 or higher

Realism = only a handful of non- bluebloods have made the tourney for the past 5 years

I don't have an issue with the concept from an aspirational standpoint. Also realize that while many don't like Politi, I'll give the guy some chops as his work on the Logan Kelley story, Luther Wright story...really first-rate reporting. My jumping off point is anything supported by Kyk. It's a great measuring stick, if I'm on the same side, I must be on the wrong side.

I agree with you and politi that the floor should be the tourney (or at least consistently a bubble team), I disagree with you that you think that with Pikiell his ceiling is also what we just saw.

At the end of the day for Rutgers basketball without going the shady bag men route, it was always going to be the chicken or the egg situation.

Now that we have had a 3 year run of success, I believe we are going to become a better destination for impact transfers and impact recruits. We may never make a final four but we can be a consistent tourney team.
I agree with this but I take nothing for granted. The wheels can come off tomorrow so while I want more and expect more, I can’t thank this team enough for the great memories.

Reactions: colbert17
This article is being written because of the state of recruiting and missing expectations with Pikes best team ever. I believe that is the context of the program that lead to the writing of the article.

It’s year 6, and to everyone’s point Pike has had 3 great seasons in a row. But he continually brings up how the program stunk when he took over every time he wins or loses a game. And he’s right! But it shows how Pike thinks of this program and its potential in the short term. Politi, and I think the fans that support the article, are ready to move forward and act like the respectable program Pike has made.

The challenge in doing that is the elephants in the room. Does the current state of recruiting the last few year indicate we will move forward that way? If the best team our coach ever had didn’t make the field of 64 and two other teams in NJ made the field of 64, what does that say about the ceiling of the program?

I don’t know the answer. But there are a lot of questions to be answered overtime and I think a fan base that supports the program first (which is happening at record pace) and creates strong expectations second, is the makings of a successful program.

I don’t think you need to make the tournament every year to do that. But you do need to expect it.

Reactions: RUPete
It's not about comparing Pikiell to the Eddie years. The Eddie years were 1000 feet below ground and no one should accept a program like that. It's been about having the appreciation for the monumental achievement that anyone who inherited a program that was not only a Big Ten disaster since we joined in 2014-15 with embarrassing facilities but had gone almost 30 years not just making the NCAAs but without even being on the bubble (1999? MAYBE.) Tom Izzo or Coach K never had to build a program from literally scratch. Those of you that had the audacity to denigrate what he has achieved in 6 years here - essentially 3 consecutive NCAA Tournament caliber teams - I find a little offensive. I've been going to games for decades. Taking planes, trains, and automobiles in the dead of winter under all sorts of weather conditions to rush to see us LOSE to teams like St. Peter's in front of 2,500 people in the hope that someday things would get better. I know exactly how hard of a build he faced. Those of you that have parachuted in in the last few years and think that this program is now instantly on even terms with these other Big Ten teams are delusional.

No one is going to accept a program that loses by 60+ points to end a season. But it's also unrealistic to EXPECT the floor to be a perennial NCAA tournament team. Indiana hadn't been to the tournament since 2016 and Iowa under Fran McCaffery has NEVER made the Sweet 16 since he's been there and he's had national player of the year candidates for several years in a row. This game is hard. This conference is REALLY hard. Regardless of how successful we are in the transfer portal and in retaining contributors, I think we're going to have a reality check next year. We've had three good years. THREE. Our conference foes have achieved at a high level for decades. Now we have tasted what it's like to be ranked, been on the national stage, playing in the NCAA tournament and advancing, NO ONE is going to tolerate teams that regularly go 1-19 or 3-17 in this league or only make the NCAAs every 5 years. No way. I would LOVE the floor to be perennial NCAA tournament team but it's not. Pikiell and Hobbs with the practice facility (but not RAC) improvements have raised the bar. The ceiling is a Final Four team. Pikiell has said it. He and the players have actually said National Championship. When you play in this league, you can do and say things like that. But the floor is still a program capable of finishing at the bottom of this outstanding league in down years. Look at the names of the other conference teams, their traditions and/or their facilities. We're not Michigan State in basketball. Sorry. Four teams are going to have to play on the first day of the Big Ten Tournament every year. Look at the names of the other schools in this league. Has this program now separated itself from these other schools as a perennial top half team now? Of course not. Pikiell hasn't now earned a lifetime pass - he's being compensated well afterall - but let's have a little self awareness.

Last edited:

On your last point, this recruiting cycle with the portal is the litmus test.

Last year, it was understandable that Pike had difficulty landing big time impact transfers, as we had Cliff, Geo, Ron, and Paul guaranteed for 30 minutes a night.

But now we’re losing Geo, Ron, and Caleb, which frees up 90 minutes and a lot of shots. If Pike can’t land at least one impact scorer this year from the portal, we will know that we will forever be a “developmental” program that will make runs every few years, rather than a perennial entrant to the NCAA tournament.

Mind you, I’m an OPTIMIST and unabashed Pike supporter, but I’m just being realistic about talent acquisition here.

It's not about comparing Pikiell to the Eddie years. The Eddie years were 1000 feet below ground and no one should accept a program like that. It's been about having the appreciation for the monumental achievement that anyone who inherited a program that was not only a Big Ten disaster since we joined in 2014-15 with embarrassing facilities but had gone almost 30 years not just making the NCAAs but without even being on the bubble (1999? MAYBE.) Tom Izzo or Coach K never had to build a program from literally scratch. Those of you that had the audacity to denigrate what he has achieved in 6 years here - essentially 3 consecutive NCAA Tournament caliber teams - I find a little offensive. I've been going to games for decades. Taking planes, trains, and automobiles in the dead of winter under all sorts of weather conditions to rush to see us LOSE to teams like St. Peter's in front of 2,500 people under the hope that someday things would get better. I know exactly how hard of a build he faced. Those of you that have parachuted in in the last few years and think that this program is now instantly on an even terms with these other Big Ten teams are delusional.

No one is going to accept a program who loses by 60+ points to end a season. But it's also unrealistic to EXPECT the floor to be a perennial NCAA tournament team. Indiana hadn't been to the tournament since 2016 and Iowa under Fran McCaffery has NEVER made the Sweet 16 since he's been there and he's had national player of the year candidates for several years in a row. This game is hard. This conference is REALLY hard. Regardless of how successful we are in the transfer portal and in retaining contributors, I think we're going to have a reality check next year. We've had three good years. THREE. Our conference foes have achieved at a high level for decades. Now we have tasted what it's like to be ranked, been on the national stage, playing in the NCAA tournament and advancing, NO ONE is going to tolerate teams that regularly go 1-19 or 3-17 in this league or only make the NCAAs every 5 years. No way. I would LOVE the floor to be perennial NCAA tournament team but it's not. Pikiell and Hobbs with the practice facility (but not RAC) improvements have raised the bar. The ceiling is a Final Four team. Pikiell has said it. He and the players have actually said National Championship. When you play in this league, you can do and say things like that. But the floor is still a program capable of finishing at the bottom of this outstanding league in down years. Look at the names of the other conference teams, their traditions and/or their facilities. We're not Michigan State in basketball. Sorry. Four teams are going to have to play on the first day of the Big Ten Tournament every year. Look at the names of the other schools in this league. Has this program (or will it ever) separated itself from these other schools now. Of course not.

WELL SAID!! Indiana is a prime example. They have been a blue blood of college basketball forever and look how hard it is for them.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
There have been a number of Big Ten teams that had a couple of great seasons, made the tourney, then never made it back once that core left. Northwestern, Penn State, Nebraska fit that mold, then you have Minnesota who seems to make the tourney every few years. The question is will we be a one and done, every few years, or usually in the mix now that our core has moved on.

This article is being written because of the state of recruiting and missing expectations with Pikes best team ever. I believe that is the context of the program that lead to the writing of the article.

It’s year 6, and to everyone’s point Pike has had 3 great seasons in a row. But he continually brings up how the program stunk when he took over every time he wins or loses a game. And he’s right! But it shows how Pike thinks of this program and its potential in the short term. Politi, and I think the fans that support the article, are ready to move forward and act like the respectable program Pike has made.

The challenge in doing that is the elephants in the room. Does the current state of recruiting the last few year indicate we will move forward that way? If the best team our coach ever had didn’t make the field of 64 and two other teams in NJ made the field of 64, what does that say about the ceiling of the program?

I don’t know the answer. But there are a lot of questions to be answered overtime and I think a fan base that supports the program first (which is happening at record pace) and creates strong expectations second, is the makings of a successful program.

I don’t think you need to make the tournament every year to do that. But you do need to expect it.

this…we’re all very curious about the next couple years. Does the program fall apart and become a 3-5 win team in conference? That’s the risk given the current roster.

The counter is that Pike deserves the benefit of the doubt and even if we have an ugly season or 2, he’ll find a way turn it back around.

To me it’s going to be about the eye test. Even in Pike’s first 2 years, most of us knew that something was different. The intensity, defense, rebounding, etc. We could all see that good things were coming. I’m hoping that’s what next years team looks like. If Cliff and Caleb are back then I expect a tough team that grinds out 7 or 8 conference wins and finishes overall above 500. If both are gone, then maybe it’s only 3 or 4 wins but I still want to see the intangibles and hustle.

Longest current streaks of appearances:

1 - Kansas, 32 - a true blue blood program

2 - Michigan State, 24 - also blue blood IMO

3 - Gonzaga, 23 - big fish in a small pond

4 - North Carolina, 11 - blue blood

5 - Villanova, 9 - pretty blue and an excellent coach

6 - Purdue, 7

7 - Michigan, 6

8 - Virginia Tech, 5 (surprised? Me too!)

Nobody else has even a five tournament streak going. Duke had a streak of 24 snapped last season (13-11, no bid). Wisconsin had 19 but missed in 2018 with a 15-19 season.

It is HARD to never have a down year and miss out unless you are one of the blue bloods.

I think it's a fine expectation that we get to that point eventually, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect us to be at that point now which is basically what kyk expects.
Why not now? Our coach is going into year 7 and has nothing holding him back financially, facilities or fan wise

Reactions: BlockR
God, that article sounds like it came from the mouths of the bandwagon, what have you done for me lately " fans" who embarrass themselves during those less than loyal posts during games. They are not comments coming from the real loyal fans Geo thanked. Every year is a rebuilding year in college sports.His comments just diminish
what RU has achieved. A better piece would have thanked RU and it's fans for the success and asked for the continued support like donations ,sellouts,etc. and the stopping of non productive, contradictory articles about athletic budgets and the like.

There is no guarantee to advance deeper. Ask Iowa, Kentucky and even U Conn. The key is to get there consistently and stay in the Top half of the BIG. We peaked a little early in February unlike UCLA last year but once you get to the dance anything can happen.
Of course there is no guarantee! But Pike has done a great job in getting them there 3x. We had a large crowd on here complaint when EUGENE left, an bunch complaint when Jacob young and Tez left and now more complaining because it’s likely RHJ and other seniors may leave. Somehow Pike has gotten his team to the dance. I agree we need to get a higher level of recruit who fits pikes system. I am willing to give Pike some latitude because he has taken us further than any other hoops coach in a long, long, long time.

The floor of being a Top 25 to 35th ranked team every year seems reasonable, when you have 90+ Power 6 conferences or programs??

9 Pac 12 teams didn't make the NCAAS.....what's different with RU from these programs??

9 ACC teams didn't make the NCAAs.....same thing here, suddenly RU automatically blows past UVA, NC State, Florida State, Syracuse and Louisville forever??

7 SEC teams didn't make the NCAAs....Florida, Texas A&M and others are cash rich and very competitive, do we really think RU arrives and has better talent than these SEC schools???

3 Big 12 teams didn't make the NCAAs....Oklahoma, Oklahoma State etc.....these programs didn't make it, they have been in Final Fours and Elite 8s, way more often than most B1G schools.

To make a dumb statement that the "floor" is to be a Top 25 to 35 program every year, no questions asked is a relatively dumb and ill-informed comment.....it shows how crazy it is and how can you watch the last day of basketball and see New Mexico State beat UConn, St Peters Beats Kentucky and Richmond beats Iowa.....these schools don't have players??

Even the teams that lose like Vermont vs Arkansas, Akron vs UCLA are extremely competitive in a 1 game scenario.....

You have to have a "floor of a winning season overall"......the fact that not all of the 50 to 55 teams that missed the NCAAs, didn't even make the NITs, shows how dumb Politi actually is.....and I can't say enough how competitive CBB actually is with 350+ programs, looking to land one of 68 spots.....

No one is saying RU is comparing things to Fred Hill or Eddie Jordan. It is also a dumb statement to compare a cash poor program in the Big East 10 to 15 years ago, to where RU stands today....that stands for Football, Basketball, baseball volleyball, gymnastics or whatever sport RU competes in.

The reality is RU has not been competitive, because they have hired on the cheap, been cash poor on facilities, cash poor on hiring (Ash, Flood, FHJ, Rice, Eddie Jordan)......those hires were framed because RU could only pay so much and went on the cheap.....every other Power 5 program was armed with way more cash over the last 20 to 30 years.....RU is only catching up now and STILL hasn't received a full share from the B1G.

Look,sometime Politi puts out articles to be a pot stirrer.
Many times hes right and RU fans with Scarlet glasses on dont like it.
This time hes 100% right.

Hands down, you are the best at taking down kyk with strong posts like the above. I prefer to just call him a loudmouth dipsh!t and to go away. He is the epitome of a front-running, uninformed, dumb and bad fan.

I honestly don't understand the premise of this whole thread. There is no ceiling, who says there's an f'n ceiling? It took us a long time to dig ourselves out of the rubble in the basement, but after 30 plus years I finally saw the light! Glory, Hallelujah!!

Here are two statements I think everyone can agree with:

1. At this point being in the tournament picture late into the year is the bare minimum to define a successful season at Rutgers. (Pre-season expectations will alter this. Falling short this year would have been disappointing. With next year looking like more of a rebuilding year, expectations will differ)

2. Rutgers will not make the tournament every single year (because only a few teams make the tournament every single year)

Once you set those as the guide bars the conversation gets clearer. If we can't even get in the bubble talk most years, that's not good (that's basically Northwestern). If we're in bubbleland a lot but never actually make it then that's not good either (that's basically where Mississippi State has been). If we go the dance 5/5 years or 4/5 years I think everyone would agree that's great, and then the bar gets raised to making a second weekend or two.

The middle ground is where opinions will wildly differ. If Rutgers makes one tournament out of the next five, are you satisfied? How about two? How about two tournaments, but we make the Sweet 16 one of those years? How about three tournaments but no tournament wins?

Reactions: Kope91 and gregkoko
Why not now? Our coach is going into year 7 and has nothing holding him back financially, facilities or fan wise
Might be interesting to check things financially, facilities or fan wise. Here's one thing about home basketball arenas:

RankArenaTeamCapacityOpened
1Value City ArenaOhio State18,8091998
2Xfinity CenterMaryland17,9502002
3Simon Skjodt Assembly HallIndiana17,4721971
4Kohl CenterWisconsin17,2491998
5State Farm CenterIllinois16,6181963
6Carver–Hawkeye ArenaIowa15,5001983
7Bryce Jordan CenterPenn State15,2611996
8Pinnacle Bank ArenaNebraska15,1472013
9Mackey ArenaPurdue14,8481967
10Breslin Student Events CenterMichigan State14,7971989
11Williams ArenaMinnesota14,6251928
12Crisler CenterMichigan12,7211967
13Welsh-Ryan ArenaNorthwestern8,1171952
14Louis Brown Athletic CenterRutgers8,0001977

Sorry, I could not post a live link here ^.

This list doesn't even mention that the RAC hasn't been painted since the Time of the Flood.

A list of football stadiums is not quite as stark, maybe, but it is also not much different.

Probably would also be interesting to look at the financial/institutional backing/commitment to the facilities and coaches Rutgers makes to any and every every sport. Are we serious when we say Schiano and Pike "have everything they need, now go win"?

It seems that we were not overwhelmed by the number or quality of the applicants clamoring for the jobs the last time the the Head Football Coach and Head Basketball Coach positions came open...not that Rutgers would/could have offered a competitive compensation package for a big name coach, anyway.

I'm afraid we are kidding ourselves...whether it's the state or the school, we will never have the same commitment to athletics that other schools have had for decades...right or wrong. And, there are LOTS of people in this state that oppose colleges spending money on big time sports. I bear the wounds from the slings and arrows aimed at me by most of my family and some friends that don't understand institutions of higher learning spending major bucks on sports. This is New Jersey 'home' of a zillion professional sports teams, a major inferiority complex and dozens of corruption streams that siphon off funds that could/should be devoted to their State University lol.

It is the reason I love all the student-athletes (and most of the coaches!) that give Rutgers a chance...most just walk away.

Last edited:
He has to compete against 13 other programs (more or less) that have at least or greater facilities, finances, and fan support and have had those advantages for decades. (I also disagree that the RAC doesn’t hold us back from recruiting even if it can be a great game day advantage.) That is our competition. We don’t play in a vacuum. If our floor is perennial NCAA team, then we have to finish in the top half of the conference every year basically. Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Purdue are always going to be up at the top so have we separated ourselves from Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Maryland going forward?

The NIL/financial game is also an X factor going forward. We don’t have legions of experienced long term well-heeled basketball supporters like Michigan and Ohio State that may have something to say about future success.

Last edited:
I dont think there is anything wrong with aspiring to be in the tournament every year. If Izzo can do it, why not Pike.

With that said, just considering my gut feel for where we are as a program right now (no regards to where we were 6 years ago and not considering the current makeup of the team), I think I can say that I would be very happy if we went to the tourney 2 out of the next 3 years.

Expectations do change. It was not that long ago that just beating one ranked team felt like the goal. I remember thinking back to the win over a Kaminsky-less Wisconsin team in 2015 and thinking we were on the way up. Now I feel some level of disappoint at a season that where RU beat the #1 team in the nation, finished #4 in the BIG and made the tournament. I am guessing that if we do make 2 out of the next 3 tourneys, I may be disappointed in any year when we are left out.

Reactions: ColonelRutgers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT