ADVERTISEMENT

Positives we can take from tonight's loss

I can't imagine not having recruited such a guard - or was Miller supposed to be that guard?

somehow Pike recruits a point guard that is not capable of seeing the floor on a team that lacks ball handlers. How is this even possible? This is not like OL in football that need 2-3 years. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. Quite mind boggling. So basically he can’t even recruit Mike Williams, Marquis Webb, Mike Coburn, etc type talent. Not exactly world beaters but guys that could contribute as freshmen. I can’t fathom what he’s been doing with recruiting.

It could be a very long year or they can pull their heads out of their collective ass and play to their potential. The pieces are there - they are not being used right and they are not executing well. This will definitely be a referendum on Pikiell’s coaching ability. He has to find a way to get Jones, Hyatt and McConnell in a position to succeed. It’s easy to kick McConnell now while he’s down but he’s a 6-7” guard with experience which is valuable - he needs to be coached into the right spot right now and play the right role. That and pushing an offense where we don’t throw up 26 threes. These last two losses don’t necessarily mean the end of the year it just means the conference season has become more important - so get it straightened out now.

Reactions: tychicus
I want to know how accurate were the reports about Rutgers performance against Villanova and Uconn in scrimmages.It gave fans a false belief that this team was going to be special.
They could be very accurate but playing well during a scrimmage is in no way any indication of what the regular season will bring.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
Caleb looked like tonight was the first time he ever played basketball. A D1 team can’t get beat 42-29 on the boards and shoot 4-26 from 3 and 30% from field and beat any D1 team. The Layfayette coach played a perfect defense with that zone to beat us. Kudos to him.

Humbling, and last 2 games are more than starting to undo the progress of last 2+ seasons.

That maybe chemistry wasn't the problem, and that maybe we need fresh start re players. 4-6 years is a long time. Maybe hunger not there?

That maybe these last 2 games light a fire under coaching staff to rethink the transfer portal as more than filling gaps--bring in scorers/shooters/quickness and can teach the D.

Can't believe it's not even Dec 1st and season is over.

It could be a very long year or they can pull their heads out of their collective ass and play to their potential. The pieces are there - they are not being used right and they are not executing well. This will definitely be a referendum on Pikiell’s coaching ability. He has to find a way to get Jones, Hyatt and McConnell in a position to succeed. It’s easy to kick McConnell now while he’s down but he’s a 6-7” guard with experience which is valuable - he needs to be coached into the right spot right now and play the right role. That and pushing an offense where we don’t throw up 26 threes. These last two losses don’t necessarily mean the end of the year it just means the conference season has become more important - so get it straightened out now.
I think McConnell's offense is beyond repair. I like the kid, but his shot is one of the ugliest looking things I have ever witnessed in college basketball.

First game ever I'm honestly glad we lost. We had no business winning that game as Lafayette was better prepared and executed better.

Gonna get worse before it gets better with this roster.
It's going to get worse once the B10 schedule starts . . and then next year will be even worse after all the player departures. It will not get better in the foreseeable future. Let's hope we dont have to wait another 30 years for an NCAA appearance as some of us will be dead by then.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
How about this year - I might know some tix in 102 up for sale at about half price, lol.

Ok, all kidding aside, I've kept hoping that maybe we'd snap out of it, but no, after this loss against a bad Lafayette team, the reality has really sunk in that we just suck, especially at shooting (and not so good at rebounding, defense and ball movement either). So sad. I can’t imagine having many wins, especially without Geo - if it's a hammy he's out for at least a month. Pike whiffing on the class from two years ago and this past year (other than Cliff and maybe Jones) and only getting one good transfer this year (Hyatt) just killed the positive momentum we had from the last 2 years.

And here's what I want to know the most. How the hell do we not have a big man like Lafayette’s 7’1” center, who could be a great backup for Cliff (and imagine the two of them on the floor together at times) – and how come we don’t have a guard like that kid from NJIT who was really quick and could hit treys? Are you telling me they wouldn’t have come to RU over these places? Yes, losing JY and Myles really sucked, but we couldn't have done better than we did from the portal coming off 2 great years in a row? Unless Pike can work some miracles really fast this season is toast.
How come we didn’t want 2 transfer who wanted to come here who are light years better than anyone on our roster
This is all on Pikell

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
It's going to get worse once the B10 schedule starts . . and then next year will be even worse after all the player departures. It will not get better in the foreseeable future. Let's hope we dont have to wait another 30 years for an NCAA appearance as some of us will be dead by then.
Have you seen Penn State ; Minnesota or Nebraska? We actually may be better than those teams.....

Reactions: GORU2014
Humbling, and last 2 games are more than starting to undo the progress of last 2+ seasons.

That maybe chemistry wasn't the problem, and that maybe we need fresh start re players. 4-6 years is a long time. Maybe hunger not there?

That maybe these last 2 games light a fire under coaching staff to rethink the transfer portal as more than filling gaps--bring in scorers/shooters/quickness and can teach the D.

Can't believe it's not even Dec 1st and season is over.
Chemistry was a problem last year…..and maybe parties that shared the guilt are still on the team.

I want to know how accurate were the reports about Rutgers performance against Villanova and Uconn in scrimmages.It gave fans a false belief that this team was going to be special.
Special is a good word to describe this.

Here is a positive...It's Thanksgiving and there is more hope for the football team than the basketball team to reach the postseason.

Reactions: jtung230
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT