ADVERTISEMENT

Powell

Why is he not an NBA players? He has a handle, can drive the ball and hit shots from anywhere on the court. Who is better, Winston? I'll take Powell everyday and Sunday.
And the kid can shoot the lights out. He is a first round pick.

He’s good and he was great tonight, although he did take 28 shots. By comparison Winston took 17 shots for MSU (and we haven’t had a player take more than 12 shots in a game so far this year).

He shot 43% from both two and three point range, plus 7 for 9 at the FT line. Pretty good shooting night against a team like MSU.

Last edited:
Willard may have cost them not giving Powell a blow sooner. He was running on fumes at the end of the game.

He was outstanding as was Gill on defense. Gill had 6 blocks. Last year he had 5 against us in only 12 minutes. He might be the best shot blocker in college. Who will guard Powell when we play. Someone better step up on defense. We better not take it to Gill. We must hit threes and 10-15 foot shots and foul shots if we want to win. I'm glad the BIG won the Gavitt games 5-3. The BIG has really bounced back.

Reactions: DECKRU and BillyC80
Why is he not an NBA players? He has a handle, can drive the ball and hit shots from anywhere on the court. Who is better, Winston? I'll take Powell everyday and Sunday.
He cant drive, he gets his shit punched every time he tries to take it to the hole. Guys, very good college player, very good shooter, but he took 28 shots man. 28 shots, for example statistically speaking if geo takes 28 shots, 14 3’s 14 2’s and 9 free throws he scores 36 points. How many did powell have? 37.

And the kid can shoot the lights out. He is a first round pick.
He wont be drafted, he lives off volume and hes not a guy who an nba can afford to give volume touches. He’ll make $40k-50k a year in the G league and then wind up being an aau coach

Very good player, great shooter. Cheap shot on Eugene still sticks in my memory.

He wont be drafted, he lives off volume and hes not a guy who an nba can afford to give volume touches. He’ll make $40k-50k a year in the G league and then wind up being an aau coach

If the kid from Purdue got drafted, I don’t see why Powell wouldn’t get drafted too.

Carsen Edwards is built like a house and quicker than Powell. Can Powell withstand the punishment of an 82 game schedule with guys who are taller and more athletic? Can he handle point? Powell is tremendous though, I think he may get drafted late first round.

Powell gets drafted middle of the first round. Between RU, SHU, and St. Johns, he is best NBA prospect in several years.

Who will be a better NBA player is pure speculation. If you want to compare college careers which is what we know and don’t have to speculate on, Cassius Winston’s career at Michigan State is amazing. His bio:

https://msuspartans.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=10147

Did I not read he had a severe high ankle sprain that would sideline him for a long time?

He cant drive, he gets his shit punched every time he tries to take it to the hole. Guys, very good college player, very good shooter, but he took 28 shots man. 28 shots, for example statistically speaking if geo takes 28 shots, 14 3’s 14 2’s and 9 free throws he scores 36 points. How many did powell have? 37.

This is an insane way to extrapolate stats given Powell's usage.

It's WAY harder to put up a 110 ORtg on 30% usage than is it on 23% usage.

Reactions: biazza38

Hard to knock Winston after the final four run. He was great against a loaded duke team in the elite 8.

At 6'2" I am sure NBA scouts would like to see his ability to handle the point. I believe that was mentioned on the broadcast last night. Terrific college player. Terrific.

Carsen Edwards is a good comparison from a year ago.

I don't care about Powell & the NBA. All I care about is how we're going to stop him at the RAC.
Who guards him? Mathis? Young?

I would expect we throw several at him. Assume Mathis starts out on him. Young and McConnell I would think also.

Reactions: DECKRU
If the kid from Purdue got drafted, I don’t see why Powell wouldn’t get drafted too.
Powell hasn't demonstrated that he can be a good point guard. Carson Edwards actually is a point guard.

If Powell shows he can be a lead guard his stock jumps.

Did I not read he had a severe high ankle sprain that would sideline him for a long time?
I told a buddy last night that when Powell got hurt the chatter was he'd be out for a long while and would be lucky to be able to walk normally again.

Glad it wasn't that serious

I like the idea of trapping to get the ball out of his hands. For this and general defensive reasons I like Caleb as the primary defender with his lateral movement, length and ability to get deflections and steals.

I think you just try to wear him down with a combination of Mathis (did the best job relatively on the Fordham guard last year), McConnell's height and Young's speed.

McConnell looks slower this year. Not sure if that's accurate or just a mirage based on his added bulk and his "long stride". Regardless, I don't think he can keep up with Powell's speed/quickness.

I would put Mathis or Young on him, with occasional Baker.

Not that I think he’s as good as Trae Young, but Young was a volume shooter as well. He shot about 36% in college. People would go crazy when he dropped 40, meanwhile he had nights when he took 30+ plus shots to get there with 10+ free throws. And yes, I know Trae was a freshman and Myles is a senior. I just don’t see how this guy is not an NBA player

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT