ADVERTISEMENT

Press Conference: Richard Pitino, Gopher Men's Basketball on Loss at Rutgers

Gotta say, if I were a Minnesota fan, I'd be really down on Pitino and this presser would be driving me crazy. Let's be honest -- his end game coaching was a gift to us. And give us credit, we took advantage and Geo stepped up down the stretch.

Gotta say, if I were a Minnesota fan, I'd be really down on Pitino and this presser would be driving me crazy. Let's be honest -- his end game coaching was a gift to us. And give us credit, we took advantage and Geo stepped up down the stretch.

I agree. To not make us hit a few more FT's given our low season FT % is just a head scratcher. Also no urgency to score on their last possession was nuts.

I agree. To not make us hit a few more FT's given our low season FT % is just a head scratcher. Also no urgency to score on their last possession was nuts.
He looks like he is under high stress.
I hope he is well.

Cannot really blame him for not fouling, unless maybe they could have done off the ball fouls on Myles..late buckets were by Geo & Caleb, who if fouled, would have probably converted most/all of the attempts. We also saw how the results were when they fouled Ron on the late rebounds. (& the one he missed was the right one, as it worked out to our benefit)..Pitino blunder was perhaps on all those extra timeouts, not finding a way to counter the Carr double team..

I think Pitino has actually done a nice job using the transfer market to rebuild his team this year.

Here’s my take.
If the Gophers played that well for 37 and a half minutes and failed to separate themselves or get a comfortable lead...it says a lot about us!
According to him, this is their best all around effort since they beat Michigan.

We must be pretty damn good Richard, we took your best shot and you still lost

I think him & Turg (2 years left on contract. Maryland has yet to renew) are feeling the pressure.
Pitino feeling the pressure?? Minnesota was just ranked like # 16 THIS season? Now the coach is on the hot seat?! Is this like the people who were claiming to fire Pike during the 5 game losing streak (which featured a 2-point loss to #5 Iowa and 4-point loss to B1G top-5 Wisconsin) ?? Lol some of our fans are fit in their own bubble

Pitino feeling the pressure?? Minnesota was just ranked like # 16 THIS season? Now the coach is on the hot seat?! Is this like the people who were claiming to fire Pike during the 5 game losing streak (which featured a 2-point loss to #5 Iowa and 4-point loss to B1G top-5 Wisconsin) ?? Lol some of our fans are fit in their own bubble
They're flirting with a Wednesday game at the B1G tourney for what would be the 3rd year out of 4. That's bigger picture than pointing to a cup of coffee in the top 25 this year. With that said, I don't think Minnesota should be turning up its nose at his tenure. There are several B1G programs that could reasonably fire a guy for up-and-down results like Ricky has gotten there... Minnesota isn't one of them (and of course neither is RU)

Reactions: mugrat86
While the fire pike people are trolls or insane haters,. This Rutgers team should NEVER get blown out... And the FT shooting is unforgivable.. it's crazy.

Some needs to explain the physics of FT to Myles then maybe he'll try the underhand or one arm shots like Rick Barry and Don Nelson.. yeah.. I be old.

I think Pitino being on the hot seat or being a great coach are two extremes and neither are correct. He is doing a nice job with them this year after losing a lot but I can't believe he did not get more heat about his end game decisions against us Thursday night. I guess the RU beat reporters aren't the only ones who shy away from asking tough questions.

I think Pitino being on the hot seat or being a great coach are two extremes and neither are correct. He is doing a nice job with them this year after losing a lot but I can't believe he did not get more heat about his end game decisions against us Thursday night. I guess the RU beat reporters aren't the only ones who shy away from asking tough questions.
Yeah I think everyone involved realizes that it's kind of a miracle
that there is a season at all with all the inherent obstacles of
the virus -- the whole thing is like Russian Roulette. Pitino
seemed pretty relaxed despite the loss. Wouldn't surprise
me if there's a general understanding in the hierarchy that
the coaches get a pass this year

I think him & Turg (2 years left on contract. Maryland has yet to renew) are feeling the pressure.
What abiut Collins at NW? After making the tourney a few years ago theyy have been in the bottom of the standings for several seasons. I know there is no tradiition there but career wise, he should have bailed after that NCAA season.

While the fire pike people are trolls or insane haters,. This Rutgers team should NEVER get blown out... And the FT shooting is unforgivable.. it's crazy.

Some needs to explain the physics of FT to Myles then maybe he'll try the underhand or one arm shots like Rick Barry and Don Nelson.. yeah.. I be old.
Blowouts happen, even to good teams. Agree on FT shooting.

defense-first teams shouldn't get blown out.. not without some stat-defying shooting by the opponent.. we have played teams that, on paper, we should beat. they should never blow us out.
Cannot be never if you follow sports at all. Blowout losses happen even to the best of teams.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Cannot be never if you follow sports at all. Blowout losses happen even to the best of teams.
I said "SHOULD NEVER".. are you saying good teams SHOULD get blown out by worse teams?

Looking back.. it elt like we got blown out more than it happened... Sparty whipped us.. we fought back vs everyone else and made it look closer. Like you.. I can chalk up one such loss to anomoly. But it felt like there was more than one.

Nevermind.

Reactions: IL Lusciato

He's an engineering major; that person would be speaking his language.
tumblr_lhiotludFG1qcuhr9o1_500.gif

The time to fouls RU and hope we miss FTs is off a defensive rebound which Minn did in putting Harper to the line. The game was over when Geo secured that rebound. As another poster said, Geo and Caleb are good FT shooters. There was no way for Minn to force a pass to anyone other than those two and we already had a 2 possession lead. Stretching the game would’ve just hurt Minn’s computer numbers in the margin of victory category at that point.

The time to fouls RU and hope we miss FTs is off a defensive rebound which Minn did in putting Harper to the line. The game was over when Geo secured that rebound. As another poster said, Geo and Caleb are good FT shooters. There was no way for Minn to force a pass to anyone other than those two and we already had a 2 possession lead. Stretching the game would’ve just hurt Minn’s computer numbers in the margin of victory category at that point.

Baker and McConnell are good free throw shooters and RHJ is too. I know his percentage is not great, but not worried when he is at line

Reactions: Night Man
I said "SHOULD NEVER".. are you saying good teams SHOULD get blown out by worse teams?

Looking back.. it elt like we got blown out more than it happened... Sparty whipped us.. we fought back vs everyone else and made it look closer. Like you.. I can chalk up one such loss to anomoly. But it felt like there was more than one.

Nevermind.
Just as you brought up your point to rubaseball that you said “should never” I will bring up point that he never said good teams “should” get blown out by worse teams, he said blowouts happen even to good teams

Baker and McConnell are good free throw shooters and RHJ is too. I know his percentage is not great, but not worried when he is at line

Harper is hot and cold from the line. From the opponents perspective, the math says to put him on the line to extend a game. Harper is probably the most important late game FT shooter and rebounder though. If he doesn’t fight for those late rebounds, it likely means MJ going to the line which is not good.

Reactions: mugrat86
Just as you brought up your point to rubaseball that you said “should never” I will bring up point that he never said good teams “should” get blown out by worse teams, he said blowouts happen even to good teams
You missed why I stressed the word "should". In other words, his hammering the point that teams get blown out to argue against my post ignored the word "should". That's why I implied that an argument against "should never" would be "should"... Not that "it happens".

Defense, it is said, is something you can rely on. And a team built on defense and rebounding SHOULD be able to rely on that to prevent blowouts.

You missed why I stressed the word "should". In other words, his hammering the point that teams get blown out to argue against my post ignored the word "should". That's why I implied that an argument against "should never" would be "should"... Not that "it happens".

Defense, it is said, is something you can rely on. And a team built on defense and rebounding SHOULD be able to rely on that to prevent blowouts.
Therefore Giants never should have beaten 18-0 Patriots.

Crazy comments. We made some plays late that we haven’t made before to eek out wins against NW and Minnesota. A little luck is always needed as well.

All college basketball coaches have high stress jobs. I thought pitino did a good job addressing the questions. He’s won some big games; especially the Mich game. Pikiell has the same type answers when we lose.

Pitino also got in some nice transfers that really saved his roster this year. That center is going to be a good pro.

I’m not sure why it’s on Pitino. Carr choked under pressure on their last two offensive sets. We brought the double team and he didn’t adjust well down the stretch. Game over. That’ll drive a coach crazy in reviewing the tape but realistically, I’m not sure what else Minny could’ve done. Also not his fault that we grabbed the offensive board on the missed FT. His team just didn’t execute at the end on the road. It happens.

Reactions: SouthFLRUfan
Therefore Giants never should have beaten 18-0 Patriots.
True. But all bowl games allow more time for planning and gamesmanship. More "perfect" plans can be laid to minimize weaknesses and maximize strengths. Certainly you know Belichick was busy cheating.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT