ADVERTISEMENT

Princeton/Rutgers Football Game MAY Happen

We would need a waiver from the NCAA.
Considering the importance of this anniversary to college football, I think a waiver would be a cinch. The only possible concern I could see would be that the overall level of athletes have to be considerable and Princeton could be worried about injuries.

Considering the importance of this anniversary to college football, I think a waiver would be a cinch. The only possible concern I could see would be that the overall level of athletes have to be considerable and Princeton could be worried about injuries.

Lets keep it real they are actually just as good as the FCS teams Rutgers currently plays. They also just as good or better than Army and Kansas to be honest.

We should play Princeton in every sport we can, especially basketball, where we've had a great rivalry through the years. Football would be cool for the 150th, but hard to imagine them going for it, as they'd get crushed.

Won't happen in football. Ivy isn't scholarship so the win doesn't help bowl eligibility. We would need a waiver from the NCAA.

But for the 150th anniversary game, perhaps the NCAA would offer a waiver - an extra game for RU, perhaps, proceeds going to charity - maybe concussion research?

I went down to Princeton a couple months ago for the Wrestling match. That one is going the other way... they just established a trophy, and fans were about 50/50. It was a really good time.

In football it would be a joke. I wish we also played them in basketball. There is no reason not to, and its a really fun trip to head down for a Saturday afternoon, and watch a game and get lunch, etc. I brought the lady to the wrestling match...we ate brunch at a restaurant before hand, walked around for an hour or so, and then went for drinks afterwards. It was a great day.

I don't see the point in seeking a wavier for football for the 150th either. I am about as nostalgic as they come, but it would not be a good game. Even in our current state, we would stomp them. THere is no reason you need to have a varisty rematch of the first game given the current state of the 2 programs.

I went down to Princeton a couple months ago for the Wrestling match. That one is going the other way... they just established a trophy, and fans were about 50/50. It was a really good time.

In football it would be a joke. I wish we also played them in basketball. There is no reason not to, and its a really fun trip to head down for a Saturday afternoon, and watch a game and get lunch, etc. I brought the lady to the wrestling match...we ate brunch at a restaurant before hand, walked around for an hour or so, and then went for drinks afterwards. It was a great day.

I don't see the point in seeking a wavier for football for the 150th either. I am about as nostalgic as they come, but it would not be a good game. Even in our current state, we would stomp them. THere is no reason you need to have a varisty rematch of the first game given the current state of the 2 programs.

If you want to take this seriously, why don't the actual students of both schools organize something. I'm sure both school shave enough former HS players NOT playing football to make up a couple teams. Heck, play flag football. Balance the teams so it is a good game where the outcome is in question. Have girls teams also. Both school admins should get together and fund some organizers to make it happen. Bus rides to practice together and scrimmage so they get the right balance of skills. Play once a month in the year prior and even that summer leading up to the big game.

Reactions: Ole Cabbagehead
Princeton Football (and Ivy League as a whole) is no lesser than our past DI-AA/FCS opponents. Norfolk State, Howard, NC Central, Texas Southern, Morgan State make up the past 5 FCS schools we've played and all compete at an equal or lesser level then the Ivy's

For the 150th how could a waiver not be granted

But for the 150th anniversary game, perhaps the NCAA would offer a waiver - an extra game for RU, perhaps, proceeds going to charity - maybe concussion research?

With injuries a real concern for any college football team, I can't see the Rutgers varsity engaging in any game that "really doesn't count" in the framework of a season. And a Rutgers game with an Ivy League Princeton team is a very unbalanced, and possibly dangerous, competition. The Yale vs. Princeton and Rutgers vs. ?* (*someone of historical significance) is the way to go... either as a doubleheader at Rutgers Stadium or one game at Princeton and the other at Rutgers Stadium on the exact day of the 150th which is Wednesday, November 6, 2019.

Regarding basketball, lacrosse and all the other sports. Rutgers absolutely should be, and should have been, in continual competition with Princeton.

If you want to take this seriously, why don't the actual students of both schools organize something. I'm sure both school shave enough former HS players NOT playing football to make up a couple teams. Heck, play flag football. Balance the teams so it is a good game where the outcome is in question. Have girls teams also. Both school admins should get together and fund some organizers to make it happen. Bus rides to practice together and scrimmage so they get the right balance of skills. Play once a month in the year prior and even that summer leading up to the big game.

Any Rutgers or Princeton student currently on a four year education plan will have already graduated at their respective school in 2019. The incoming freshman classes this fall, 2016, will be in their senior year in the fall of 2019.

We aren't going to risk injury for an extra game. Also, ncaa saves their waivers for blue bloods and money makers. We ain't either. Game isn't happening.

getting a waiver for this game shouldn't be an issue and making this 1 of the 3 OOC games that year replacing Howard or Norfolk. Don't add a 13th game, make it one of the 12.

If I understand correctly, the game can be scheduled without a waiver, it just wouldn't count for bowl eligibility.

That said, I doubt that Princeton would have any interest.

Reactions: ArthrodocRC72
If I understand correctly, the game can be scheduled without a waiver, it just wouldn't count for bowl eligibility.

That rule was changed:

On August 2, 2012, the NCAA Division I Board of Directors approved a significant change to the process to determine bowl eligible teams, going so far as to potentially allow 5-7 teams to go to a bowl, in case there were not enough regular bowl-eligible teams to fill every game. If a bowl has one or more conferences/teams unable to meet their contractual commitments and there are no available bowl-eligible teams, the open spots can be filled – by the particular bowl's sponsoring agencies – as follows:[10]

1. Teams finishing 6-6 with one win against a team from the lower Football Championship Subdivision(FCS), regardless of whether that FCS school meets NCAA scholarship requirements. Until now, an FCS win counted only if that opponent met the scholarship requirements—specifically, that school had to award at least 90% of the FCS maximum of 63 scholarship equivalents over a two-year period. In the 2012 season, programs in four FCS conferences cannot meet the 90% requirement (56.7 equivalents)—the Ivy League, which prohibits all athletic scholarships; the Patriot League and Pioneer Football League, which do not currently award football scholarships; and the Northeast Conference, which limits football scholarships to 38 equivalents.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowl_eligibility

Play the game. The publicity would be tremendous and it would attract ESPN Game Day to campus.

1) the teams will not be playing in football and it has zero to do with the possibility of Princeton pulling of a "W"

2) we SHOULD play in hoops. Every year. Period.

So apparently Army would not have played that game at Yale without receiving an NCAA waiver. So it the NCAA granted Army a waiver to help it celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Yale Bowl, it should be a simple matter for RU to get a waiver to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the entire sport of college football. I think RU should do it, assuming Princeton wants to, but it would have to be a one-and-done deal and, of course, be a Rutgers home game, since we hosted the first game.

So apparently Army would not have played that game at Yale without receiving an NCAA waiver. So it the NCAA granted Army a waiver to help it celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Yale Bowl, it should be a simple matter for RU to get a waiver to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the entire sport of college football. I think RU should do it, assuming Princeton wants to, but it would have to be a one-and-done deal and, of course, be a Rutgers home game, since we hosted the first game.

"...assuming Princeton wants to..."

And that sums up why this whole idea evaporates. Princeton simply will not, and does not, want to. It doesn't matter how many good reasons you come up with. So look to things they would be interested in participating in to get this whole thing started.

In re-reading the Carino article that was the genesis of the original post, it is clear that this thread is much ado about nothing.

The subject of the article was Princeton's difficulty in scheduling OOC home-and-homes in basketball. The Princeton coach is quoted as wanting to schedule Monmouth; he makes to mention of Rutgers. Carino infers (probably accurately) that Princeton would like to resume the Rutgers series. He then offers the following purely speculative statement:

"As a nuclear option, Princeton could use the resumption of the rivalry as leverage if Rutgers still wants a gridiron meeting with the Tigers in 2019 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the first intercollegiate football game."

There is absolutely no evidence that Princeton is considering or would ever consider this "nuclear option" (which, as nuclear options go, is pretty benign). Nor is there any evidence that Rutgers "still wants" this game, or if RU ever wanted it.

Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT