ADVERTISEMENT

Quarterback Progress

madchuck

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2016
Rutgers’ open practice feature a lot of live situations as the second scrimmage of the summer was very telling. Here are my thoughts:

The QBs
The team held a scrimmage inside the stadium today and as has been the case over the last few days, Kyle Bolin got the lion’s share of reps at the QB position. He had the best performance of the three QBs, but was not lights out by any stretch of the imagination. He had a few decent throws and as I mentioned in the Fat Cat, expect him to be announced as the opening day starter very soon. Bolin connected with Gus Edwards on an over-the shoulder catch late in the day that was good for a 20-yard touchdown. Edwards had gotten well behind Ross Douglas which made it and easy toss for Bolin.

Meanwhile, Johnathan Lewis had his share of growing pains but that should be expected. Fans saw a glimpse of what he can do as passer when he completed a very nice 18 yard pass to Charles Snorweah in the early going. Lewis also tucked the ball and ran quite a bit and that element of his game was not able to shine because there is no contact involving QBs.

Gio Rescigno played the least of the three quarterbacks and struggled. He threw a late interception that was a bad read on his part. He also struggled to complete passes and while Bolin was not a Heisman Trophy candidate, it is easy to see that he has the upper hand in that battle. In the first game, I expect Lewis to get some reps behind Bolin and unless someone gets injured, I don’t see Gio getting in the game.

This is what was written about the QB's last summer. Compare that to what has been written about Sitkowski in Spring camp. I think our offense will be a lot better this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News