ADVERTISEMENT

Quarterbacks

RUChow

All American
Apr 29, 2013
I think Bolin is OK, but for God's sake he might have set a record tonight for staring receivers down. What bothers me a little is that during the week Ash was asked about using Lewis, and he answered by saying they will be getting him in some games. His answer should have been that "don't forget, we also have another QB." How quickly Gio has been forgotten, the same as he was forgotten last year. The kid played pretty good until he pulled his hamstring and his ability to run was taken away. From what I'm looking at there were a lot of times these last two weeks that our QB could have stepped up in the pocket and taken off when there were no receivers open. There were certainly a lot of opportunities for that tonight. I seem to remember Gio stepping up a lot. Bolin looks more to run away from the pressure. At least that's how I see it.

I think Bolin is OK, but for God's sake he might have set a record tonight for staring receivers down. What bothers me a little is that during the week Ash was asked about using Lewis, and he answered by saying they will be getting him in some games. His answer should have been that "don't forget, we also have another QB." How quickly Gio has been forgotten, the same as he was forgotten last year. The kid played pretty good until he pulled his hamstring and his ability to run was taken away. From what I'm looking at there were a lot of times these last two weeks that our QB could have stepped up in the pocket and taken off when there were no receivers open. There were certainly a lot of opportunities for that tonight. I seem to remember Gio stepping up a lot. Bolin looks more to run away from the pressure. At least that's how I see it.

I like the way Rescigno plays the game. He plays like he wants to be out there. He certainly has better arm strength than Bolin and he is a true running threat in the read option. With Rescigno you can read option/misdirection and open up the ground game. He can also drive the ball downfield, which is not something I see with Bolin.

Lewis has all the physical atttributes, but lacks experience. I don't care what the score of the Morgan State game is - these two must get reps in that game. This offense has no spark right now, because we have no vertical passing game whatsoever. The spread works best when you stretch the D horizontally and vertically.

Reactions: satnom and redking
Agree about Bolin. Nice kid and a good ambassador for the program but a stop gap measure at QB. He just locks on his primary receiver and misses what's developing down field. They need to get Lewis ready soon and let him take his lumps, assuming he can get comfortable with the play book.

Reactions: satnom
Aside from Grant and Washington, we are lacking weapons in the passing game.

Gio's running ability would bring another weapon.

Also, Bolin threw some balls down the field today, but when he was throwing to the sidelines? Especially late? I have a feeling EMU is not the only team running balls back the other way.

But I do hate throwing a freshman QB out there for one or two plays a game. Pretty much killed the one drive.

And if Lewis is going to be doing an Oden impersonation where he never actually throws the ball? I think I'd rather not.

I like the way Rescigno plays the game. He plays like he wants to be out there. He certainly has better arm strength than Bolin and he is a true running threat in the read option. With Rescigno you can read option/misdirection and open up the ground game. He can also drive the ball downfield, which is not something I see with Bolin.

Lewis has all the physical atttributes, but lacks experience. I don't care what the score of the Morgan State game is - these two must get reps in that game. This offense has no spark right now, because we have no vertical passing game whatsoever. The spread works best when you stretch the D horizontally and vertically.

What Kill was running today was far from the spread. So much under center I-formation and horrible spacing

Reactions: Caliknight
What Kill was running today was far from the spread. So much under center I-formation and horrible spacing

I agree - I noted that in the first half. He actually made some nice halftime adjustments to open up the 3rd quarter - running counter plays, moving The pocket, playaction bootlegs, etc. Too little - too late.

I understand having routes with receivers in the same general area, but I don't think they should be on top of each other. Half the time they looked like "was that for you or me". Plus it draws a lot of defensemen to the area.

dont forget, ash got lewis some valuable playing time today

I think we have to also remember Rescigno was basically playing with one receiver, a centerfielder by trade, and I believe a freshman at that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT