ADVERTISEMENT

Question for Cali or the others(Lacrosse guys)

Since we are on the subject and its fun to learn this stuff let me ask...was it only recently that the 10 man ride became adopted and was it Michigan who pioneered it? I tried to coach it last year to my sons team for about 5 minutes lol but you really need a VERY athletic goalie and ours was not the best fit even though he was a good stopper.
I know people that have been running 10-man rides since the 1980's in HS. I would not be surprised if a D3 college coach started doing it first as those guys are pretty creative. There is a difference between 10-man and pressure rides

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Until the late 80s the ball was not on the ground on FOs. It was balanced on the lower walls between the two FOGOs sticks. I don't think the pinch and pop would have worked.

My son is a FOGO - that position has evolved so much especially with the change to SNG. It’s like a wrestling match filled with speed and strategy including counters. It is a fun chess match and I love coaching it to our youth players.

As Cali said the equipment makes all the difference with specialized faceoff heads touting different characteristics based on style of play etc.

I’m going to dispute this. I was around the Hopkins program a lot as as kid. I played with guys in summer leagues who went there. That term was never used then and I don’t know anyone who would claim otherwise. Except Quint who I don’t think much of.

This is a fun point - anyone here play in the Princeton summer league in the early 90s? Best learning opportunity I ever had as a player.

My son is a FOGO - that position has evolved so much especially with the change to SNG. It’s like a wrestling match filled with speed and strategy including counters. It is a fun chess match and I love coaching it to our youth players.

As Cali said the equipment makes all the difference with specialized faceoff heads touting different characteristics based on style of play etc.

This is a fun point - anyone here play in the Princeton summer league in the early 90s? Best learning opportunity I ever had as a player.

I actually think there was more strategy when the ball was off the ground. You had clamp moves, front flips, back flips and even a straight rake. And speaking of equipment, you had an amusing situation in '75. STX came out with the first Superlight. A real breakthrough but it had one problem. If it went up against a Brine PL-66, which had been the prior best seller and much heavier and less flexible, it got crushed. You ended up with a misshapen stick that had to be recentered on the sideline.

That Princeton league sounds a lot like what existed in Boston. The BU soccer coach was also the coach of the lacrosse club. He put together a summer league that had about 24 teams. Some colleges teams that were running on partial rosters with some fill-ins and grads working in the area. Some of the better towns put together teams with HS seniors and grads home for the summer. All the games were at Nickerson Field at night, so it didn't mess with anyone's work schedule. A decent quality but with short benches so everyone played.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Awesome.

Princeton summer league was run through parks and rec - but you had Princeton and other college players showing up to play as well. I was a junior in high school going against college all Americans. Best part was lax was still a niche sport guys tried to help each other out. I remember getting killed by an attack man from Princeton and he stopped and was like “this is what you did wrong - let’s try again”.

One thing as the sport grows and becomes more popular, those things are starting to change. I am amazed at how professional the kids are now. It's night and day between now and the 90's.

With that comes less integration and access to various levels playing together.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
I know people that have been running 10-man rides since the 1980's in HS. I would not be surprised if a D3 college coach started doing it first as those guys are pretty creative. There is a difference between 10-man and pressure rides
Thanks everyone, I really appreciated the ROPE discussion. rufamily or anyone else, can you explain what a "10 man ride" is and distinguish it from a "pressure ride?" This thread has been great for us fans that never played organized lacrosse.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Thanks everyone, I really appreciated the ROPE discussion. rufamily or anyone else, can you explain what a "10 man ride" is and distinguish it from a "pressure ride?" This thread has been great for us fans that never played organized lacrosse.
A 10 man ride is when the goalie comes out and picks up an attackman. Essentially at that point you have 10 men playing 10 men instead of 10 clearing against 9. It can be risky because it leaves the goal exposed. It can create turnovers because you can't just pass and find the open man for a clear. Uva has a very effective one. When we played Unc in the quarters two years ago in that great game, we had problems with it. I would like to see us use it tbh.

A pressure ride can mean different things to different people. Essentially it means you aren't dropping back in my mind, and pressure up the field. We feasted on that over the last two years. Our dmids were so good clearing and making plays in the middle it made for a great advantage.

Reactions: Skull83
A 10 man ride is when the goalie comes out and picks up an attackman. Essentially at that point you have 10 men playing 10 men instead of 10 clearing against 9. It can be risky because it leaves the goal exposed. It can create turnovers because you can't just pass and find the open man for a clear. Uva has a very effective one. When we played Unc in the quarters two years ago in that great game, we had problems with it. I would like to see us use it tbh.

A pressure ride can mean different things to different people. Essentially it means you aren't dropping back in my mind, and pressure up the field. We feasted on that over the last two years. Our dmids were so good clearing and making plays in the middle it made for a great advantage.

Cornell had a very good pressure ride last year. It usually involves a very aggressive attack unit that is functioning well as a unit.

Thanks Caliknight, I come from a soccer background and applying high pressure has been a prominent strategy for the past decade or so.

Reactions: Caliknight
Thanks Caliknight, I come from a soccer background and applying high pressure has been a prominent strategy for the past decade or so.

I don't know soccer but I would imagine it's pretty similar in that regard.

Thought the rules are different with contact and offsides, I always tell people learning the game that lacrosse is very similar to basketball conceptually. Obviously there are more people on a lax field making it more complex, but there are a lot of similarities both in concept and in physical practice. Defense for example is played very similar. It's contact in lacrosse but it's more about moving your feet. Just like basketball.

I don't know soccer but I would imagine it's pretty similar in that regard.

Thought the rules are different with contact and offsides, I always tell people learning the game that lacrosse is very similar to basketball conceptually. Obviously there are more people on a lax field making it more complex, but there are a lot of similarities both in concept and in physical practice. Defense for example is played very similar. It's contact in lacrosse but it's more about moving your feet. Just like basketball.
The offside rules are definitely different between soccer and lacrosse. Strategically, I think there are similar concepts in all three sports. Do you mark man to man or zonally, do you pressure up high or sit back more, on offense do you push the ball quickly or more methodically, smaller group tactics like give and gos, pick and rolls, etc. Soccer is also a contact sport, although that aspect of it is not appreciated so much in the U.S. in the shadow of American football.

Reactions: DowntownT_Brown
Agree on the physicality of soccer. I was on the field at Solider Stadium several years ago for a friendly between the US and England. I was shocked how physical the game was, and it was just an exhibition.

Definitely some similar concepts. Slightly different in practice in lacrosse because you can retain possession of the ball much easier and run through guys. Especially with the new equipment. It's very hard to dislodge the ball now.

Give and goes, pick game, fast breaks, drive and dumps, it's all very similar to basketball, and in many ways, soccer, or any game with two goals on either side of the field. All about creating a situation where you have an extra man or an open man, and finding him or shooting yourself.

Watch Shane Knobloch up top and Ross Scott behind. They are able to do this almost at will. A little differently but very similar in what they create.

Knobloch is becoming unguardable. Long pole or not. He's getting double teamed and spinning it. He was always talented in getting his shot off. Now he's become a zen master moving around defensive pieces like it's on a chessboard. He had a slow start but his play lately has been other worldly. He's developed into a complete lacrosse player in every way. High level skills in every facet.

Last edited:
The offside rules are definitely different between soccer and lacrosse. Strategically, I think there are similar concepts in all three sports. Do you mark man to man or zonally, do you pressure up high or sit back more, on offense do you push the ball quickly or more methodically, smaller group tactics like give and gos, pick and rolls, etc. Soccer is also a contact sport, although that aspect of it is not appreciated so much in the U.S. in the shadow of American football.

Nothing like the midfield line rule in soccer. And with the players going behind the goal in lacrosse you almost want to be offsides. I'm not up on the finer details of soccer strategy, but I get the feeling the skip pass, while not as important as lacrosse, plays a role in soccer as well. But there's no rule in lacrosse for the recipient of the pass to be "on sides".

I'm not up on the finer details of soccer strategy, but I get the feeling the skip pass, while not as important as lacrosse, plays a role in soccer as well.

The skip pass also plays a large role in soccer to the point that a player may "dummy" the ball whereas they will feign they will take possession but intentionally let the ball go past them or through their legs to draw defenders to them whilst knowing there is another player who will take possession after they intentionally let it go by.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT