ADVERTISEMENT

Question for Cofifa re. future dorms

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
Cofifa,
When an unfortunate incident happens like the other day off-campus in Newark, does that speed up the talk and construction of more on-campus housing for Camden and Newark ?

Cofifa,
When an unfortunate incident happens like the other day off-campus in Newark, does that speed up the talk and construction of more on-campus housing for Camden and Newark ?
The fact that this guy was living off campus didn't seem to have anything to do with his death. If he was living in a dorm would it have happened? Maybe not but that doesn't mean they have any connection. It's a terrible thing but if the circumstances surrounding this incident that have been reported are true he may not have wanted to live on campus anyway.

Most students attending Newark and Camden are commuters. There has been a rise in demand for housing and that rise has been met with new dorms. I can't imagine that building dorms (which is a massive decision) is impacted by isolated incidents like this.

ScarletPride,
I brought this up not because this particular student may have wanted to live on campus ( since as you said,if the personal circumstances about him are true), but something like this event may influence more to consider living on campus. Despite what the media covers, I think the 65,000 Rutgers students who attend the various campuses are generally in safe environments. Incidents like this have some influence on parents and students. I have no idea how much.

You think someone can't get hurt because they are on campus? It's not a "safe space". If drugs are involved your risk of a crime related incident sky rockets. Whether in a dorm, off-campus, in a car or in Dad's basement.

You think someone can't get hurt because they are on campus? It's not a "safe space". If drugs are involved your risk of a crime related incident sky rockets. Whether in a dorm, off-campus, in a car or in Dad's basement.
I don't know about that. I recall Mary Poppins regaling on the benefits of 'sugar' to her underage charges. I guess it all depends on who your dealer is

RU-Camden got a new dorm a few years ago. The last I heard -- and this is old information -- there was plenty of space in that dorm. I think more dorms are in the long-range plan, but I think there are several higher priorities.

the Camden apartment building has seriously under performed with nearly 1/2 of the beds not occupied. they have started to use apartments for office space.

Newark's problems aside, what has reported surrounding that death indicates that it would have happened anywhere in the world and has nothing to do with the student being in Newark.

Cofifa,
I have no idea if this is true or not, but I have been told interest in the Camden campus for September is WAY up from past years.

I was also told the athletic coaches on the Camden campus have been waiting for the green light to really open up their recruiting areas which should also fill up a good amount of space.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT