ADVERTISEMENT

Football Quick Blackshear Update

Vtech saying. "We're going to need another Blackshear!"

images

I'm still not really understanding the thought process behind taking a redshirt this year. I mean play four games, sit out the rest of the season, transfer, and then sit out all of next season too. Was it to avoid a chance of being injured?

the fact this kid bailed on his team a couple of hours before kickoff is a huge red flag for me.

If I am Greg, I only pursue the kid if he shows me really really badly he wants to be here

my $.02...sometimes it's not just about how talented someone is

Something seems to be at play outside of Ash being fired and the team being terrible last year

It happens and many of us might never know the whole story. What will be, will be
Those are my thoughts, too. Whatever happens, since Greg only had two weeks to fill a class, this is still a rebuilding year and we've got some nice players (e.g. Pacheco) staying with the team. As productive as Blackshear might be in a Schiano-run offense, a reset is what we're dealing with this year and if Blackshear is elsewhere, he's elsewhere. But it's strange the way things seem to be playing out with him.

Reactions: sport2231
I can't believe anyone wants this kid back at this point. He quit on his team. He said it didn't matter who the next coach was. He spent the weekend in Virginia while the team was here supporting Men's Hoops.

See ya!

You guys are crazy...He quit on team you dont take him back. Nunz took the "C" off his chest immediately for a reason....Get Past it and move on. Worry about the ballers at RB that didn't quit and are out there balling every day
Pacheco
Adam's
Young

We will probably pick up DBP boys
Monangai and hopefully Berger. He will be replaced

Certainly is unchartered territory for all involved. I'm sure it blew Nunzio's mind that something like this could happen. If Schiano was looking for input from him and Colby Smith, curious what feedback they provided.

Something seems to be at play outside of Ash being fired and the team being terrible last year

It happens and many of us might never know the whole story. What will be, will be
much like the untold story of McNulty vrs Carter and Sit,what really went down there also?

Reactions: Rutgers81
Early on this season some tv commentator said that he would be a bigger national story on a team with better offensive talent.... I would guess this is what got him first thinking about making a move.

I would also go with the thought that he does not trust that RU will be much better offensively next year, so he will still be overlooked

Reactions: hiwater and mfgiguy
It was his decision to RS and look elsewhere. Why take him back ?
Maybe instead of worrying about Blackshear, we should be looking for a Blacksmith.

Not for nothing but cut the kid some slack. Read the board and the frustration we as fans have had with the program the past 2 years, imagine if you were a player recruited with a bunch of unfulfilled promises. Also, the kid id from PA, not NJ. Schiano is all about NJ so statements like he should kiss the ring when he has other options is a bit crazy. Bottom line, we keep the jersey talent home, we don't skip a beat and that's what the new message is.

Not for nothing but cut the kid some slack. Read the board and the frustration we as fans have had with the program the past 2 years, imagine if you were a player recruited with a bunch of unfulfilled promises. Also, the kid id from PA, not NJ. Schiano is all about NJ so statements like he should kiss the ring when he has other options is a bit crazy. Bottom line, we keep the jersey talent home, we don't skip a beat and that's what the new message is.
That aint nothin. Thats sumpin

He got a ton of playing time here at Rutgers....enough to make a name for himself. He was being talked about in the media as having NFL abilities . Has playing on a bad team really hurt those chances?

Probably best for both sides that we part ways. It reminds me of when Tom savage transferred. Although tom didn’t quit mid season he wanted a change despite being the starting qb. I seem to remember he regretted that decision initially and wanted to return before ultimately going to Pitt to finish his career. It happens and as others have said, wish him good luck and move on. This is the time we live in. There is little to no consequence for transfers in today’s college game. Guys can change their minds mid season as opposed to end of the season and there is no sitting out so the NCAA has created this scenario.

I do not blame the kid for anything he did prior to Greg. This place was a shit show and I was going to bail if not for Greg. Now, he was a good player on a team without good players. So he is going to be over hyped on broadcast because there was no one else to talk about. But lets be real, its not like he lead the nation or B1G in anything. he wouldn't have been the starter at any team in the top half of the B1G.

I'm still not really understanding the thought process behind taking a redshirt this year. I mean play four games, sit out the rest of the season, transfer, and then sit out all of next season too. Was it to avoid a chance of being injured?
If he graduates in 3 years, which is the trend these days, look at the Illini starting qb this year for instance Brandon Peters, you can transfer and play immediately with no NCAA review. Malik Barrow is doing the same thing coming here too, once you graduate, you are a free agent.

Look Blackshear is a great back for us, no one disputes that but he also sees the writing on the wall. He knows Young, Pacheco and Adams will start eating into his carries and if we get Berger it will be even worse. He won't be able to truly showcase for the NFL with reps being distributed so he wants to go somewhere where he will be "The Guy", and Rutgers aint it. This is the one position where we have both depth and talent.

If it comes about that he cannot use the portal system as he likes, and he would somehow lose out with eligibility, etc....and wanted to just come back, I would take him, assuming coach wants

he, of course, would never be a captain of the team, possibly not out there as a starter either.....

make our other running backs the captains, the "stars"
of the team

despite our anger on how it went down, I would like to seem him finish his career, either with us, or elsewhere, without being overly penalized

If he transfers, there is no guarantee he doesn’t have to sit out a year. It makes no sense to take that gamble.

I think that at this point he should wait to see who the OC is at Rutgers either way.
That statement goes for the entire offense. I think (well, hope) that some that are not currently in the portal enter it after we have an OC and that OC evaluates and meets with the players.

Some will be great fits, others won't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT